'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer hay racks

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-07 11:19 AM
17 replies, 7108 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 12:45 PM (#54834)
Subject: trailer hay racks

Extreme Veteran

Since I'm tired of waiting for my new Silverstar to be built the dealer said he'd make a good deal on one he already has on the lot.  Its a really nice looking trailer and would be perfect except it has a hay rack. 

I've never used one before.. and don't know if I would even if it was up there. seems like more trouble than it's worth carrying hay up the ladder when it can be carried in the back of the truck or in an extra stall. 

and would it creat more wind drag?  he said it's not removable. 

I'm looking for comments/suggestions..  Is having one up there really that useful?  thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-02-01 12:56 PM (#54835 - in reply to #54834)
Subject: RE: trailer hay racks

Expert

I don't know, sometimes I wished I had one on mine. Going away to a show for a week leaves us no room to spare. I would put the bales in bags and lift them up with the tractor front end loader. If you don't have a loader or a lift, then that would be a whole different thing, would have to rope them up I guess. The wife could climb up at the show and just flip them off on the ground as needed. Part of the time we are hauling hay on top of the matress!
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 1:13 PM (#54837 - in reply to #54834)

Extreme Veteran

interesting..

so you think the thing really IS useful?  I sure don't want to haul hay on my mattress.  not an option anyway since I"m too cheap to pay motel fees when I have a perfectly nice trailer to camp out in.

what about wind drag?  think it would make a difference?  or is that a moot point w/ a horse trailer anyway?

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-01 1:18 PM (#54838 - in reply to #54835)

Elite Veteran

We never had a hay rack until last year and like the previous person, hay bags work great. They keep the hay dry and you only toss down a bag as needed. We use a front end loader or back the trailer to the hay loft. I remember seeing a post on here last year for a homemade wench. Might want to do a search for it. The hay rack has come in handy for week long rides and is a lot safer than placing bales in an empty compartment that could shift and cause injury to a horse provided the stall wall is not solid. We also use ours to place a portable generator for camping areas that have no power. The amount of drag the hay causes is minimal compared to the nose of the trailer. One thing to note is make sure your roof vent is open prior to adding the hay otherwise you might have a hard time getting the vent to open all the way.

Happy trails!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-02-01 1:22 PM (#54839 - in reply to #54834)

Expert

I'm sure there is some drag but I really don't think there is enough for you to feel or notice any decrease in fuel mileage. Go ahead and get it. On the trip home, if you decide you don't like it, give me a call and just drop it off at the 127 mile marker on I-95. I'll nail it to the top of mine!
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 1:30 PM (#54840 - in reply to #54834)

Extreme Veteran

I don't have one, but at times wish I did. You can also get water tanks to mount in the hay rack. That comes in handy on long rides where there is no water available.
clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 1:56 PM (#54841 - in reply to #54834)

Regular

I purchased a trailer last year with one. I didn't think I would use it, however space is space! I have a front end loader on the tractor, so getting the hay up there is EASY. When I get to the camp site, I just scoot up the ladder and throw the bales off. I don't use the hay bags up there because I don't want to tear up the bags throwing them of the roof (I save them incase I need to put the hay back in the mid tack). I decided this year to move my water tank out of the mid tack (leaving more room for living) I am installing a 40 gallon water tank on the hay rack. The tank can be filled and emptied from the ground and it is larger than the one in the mid tack. If we are going for an extended period I suppose I could use both tank, but usually that won't be necessary. I haven't noticed any difference in drag with items on the hay rack or not. My gas mileage hasn't changes either way. I'd say for for the hay rack! While your at it have them install an electric jack before you take your new trailer home. This is the first trailer I've had with one and I won't own another one with out it. Worth every penny of the cost! Let us know what you decide.
arkansasroper
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-01 5:45 PM (#54851 - in reply to #54834)

Well, i didnt have one and wanted one to house my generator, water and hay. Now I wish I didnt, like you said it a lot of work, I do it all with the bucket on my tractor cause I cant pitch hay that far anf 5 gallons of gas is tuff to get up top.  Just buy the trailer you want with water and all below, my opinion only thanks
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-02-01 7:20 PM (#54856 - in reply to #54834)

Elite Veteran

Where do ya'll live???

This is what you do to load your hay up in the hay rack- NO expensive loaders, no tractors needed!!!

This is really easy-especially for us women. On your way out-drive to your local feed store, (trailer in tow)buy a couple bales of hay and have "the boys" load it up into the hay-rack!!!! Come on guys and gals-need to get a little more creative here!! I guess the only draw back is if you live WAYYYY  out in the boonies. But still, you usually pass some town with a feed store on your way right?

I love my hay-rack! You WIll see that space IS EVERYTHING. I have a water-tank in mine and plan to  install a cowboy shower in the near future and will use this for it and also plan to install solar panels, water-pump, possibly the hot water heater as well on the hay-rack?. I would do it, to install one later is more expensive. You would be surprised at what uses you could come up with for it. Also, better resale value with a hay-rack. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Happy trails!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-02-01 9:30 PM (#54865 - in reply to #54834)

Expert

I've never put hay in my rack. Usually just throw the bales in the bed of the truck.

But I do have a water rack up there. Living in Utah ( a desert state) It's handy to have 40 gallons of horse water on the trailer.

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-02 1:14 PM (#54912 - in reply to #54834)

Extreme Veteran

I don't think it makes that much difference in wind drag unless you put something in it.... then it might make a little. I really like having one and just use a rope to pull the bales up. Usually have two people so I don't have to go up and doen to put the rope on every bale but I could if I needed to.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-02 1:35 PM (#54916 - in reply to #54834)

Expert

I have fallen off a trailer roof before, thank God for a nearby tree branch!  I was loading our pleasure driving carts and in order to load them you must grab the shafts and pull it up.  As the cart wheels near the roof you are almost off the other side.

I wouldn't go to any old feed store and have the boys put the hay on the rack either, because I feed really nice hay and any old junk won't due for me.

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-03 6:02 PM (#55007 - in reply to #54834)

Extreme Veteran

We have friends who have a Barrett trailer customizes with a 16' hay rack. They put 42 bales up there in two layers for a three week trip with four horses. They claim that the extra drag is not that much. I'd be concerned about the extra ton of weight. making the rig top heavy.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-06 8:32 PM (#55152 - in reply to #54834)

Veteran

The used trailer that I purchased has a hay rack on it. I loved the trailer and decided it didn't matter if I used the rack or not. I probably will never put hay in it but I think that a water tank would be a good idea. Some places where I camp don't have water at every site.

I also like the ladder so I can check and clean the roof and air conditioner. I tie my horse to the ladder sometimes. I can hang towels on it. I know these are very frivolous uses but since it is there, why not?

harrysmom
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-07 6:52 AM (#55161 - in reply to #54834)

New User

where do you find a hayrack?  I've done a google search, checking around and haven't been able to locate them.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-07 6:57 AM (#55162 - in reply to #54834)

Elite Veteran

I have a hay rack with a 50 gal tank.  It is a TERRIBLE wind drag.  I have not used it for hay yet, but will probably start when hauling 2 horses all the time.
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-07 10:55 AM (#55171 - in reply to #54834)

Regular

I'm currently pulling a 3 horse Elite with a 15' LQ and my trailer doesn't have a hayrack. And there have been quite a few times I wish I had one. I didn't want one for all the reasons mentioned above - how can I load it myself, would I really use it, etc.

Well, after a few trips to OKC, FL & NC, I sure wished I had the extra space. I usually only haul one horse so my scooter, hay & grain usually go in my first stall. It never fails on those long trips, I get an offer to haul one or two home (it pays for the fuel) and I can't do it because I've got too much stuff to move around. Had I had a hayrack, I sure could have moved at least the hay and made some money on the return trip.

If I were you, and the trailer I was looking at already had a hayrack, I would just get the deal done whether I would plan on using the hayrack or not. You never know, it could be a deal breaker when you want to resell!

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-07 11:19 AM (#55172 - in reply to #54834)

Veteran

hello i have a 05 cimmeron norstar.. this is my 4th trailer in 15 years never had a hayrack this one does.. love it could not do without it... we carry hay or shavings there plus a portable corral stacked on it laying down...we do have a front end loader which helps alot but you could put the tailgate down in your truck and back it right up to the ladder and hand stuff up there to someone else.my truck is a 4x4 dodge which sits up pretty high..it gets the person on the ground in reachable distance to the one on top of trailer... hope that helps... i dont feel any drag and have noticed no gas mileage difference with mine...also we carry a 40 gal extra water tank with a hose that comes down on the back side of the ladder for extra water... we will always have a hayrack now...good luck with your descision
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)