'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding in Nw Arkansas/SW Missouri/E.Oklahoma without dodging hunter's bullets?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-09 7:23 PM
18 replies, 6446 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-11-07 8:01 AM (#51215)
Subject: Riding in Nw Arkansas/SW Missouri/E.Oklahoma without dodging hunter's bullets?

Elite Veteran

We are looking for a horsecamp within 4-6 hrs from Springfield,Mo. that is "hunter-safe" to ride this weekend.... I think Devil's Den in Nw Arkansas is the only one I know of... Does anyone else know of any? if so, please fill me in... Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-11-07 12:22 PM (#51222 - in reply to #51215)
Subject: RE: Riding in Nw Arkansas/SW Missouri/E.Oklahoma without dodging hunter's bullets?

Veteran

I think that thereis no hunting at St. Joe park in Farmington. They have trails and hookups. Also there's a place in Wynne Arkansas called village creek state park that doesn't allow hunting also. Good luck. Deer season is always scary to be riding in Missouri. It's like an oficial redneck holiday. 
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-11-08 10:23 PM (#51287 - in reply to #51215)
Subject: RE: Riding in Nw Arkansas/SW Missouri/E.Oklahoma without dodging hunter's bullets?

Elite Veteran

Holliday heck!! it is how they git ridda da ones they don't like!

I think Oklahoma's season opens the day ours closes... 11/18...

arky annie
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-08 11:10 PM (#51288 - in reply to #51215)

New User

There is Cedar Lake close to Heavener, OK, about 30 Miles west of Mena, AR.  We have ridden there during hunting season.  It is a great campground, lots of amenities!  I would suggest wearing hunter orange because there are hunters around the exterior road areas.  Have run across several, when crossing the roads, but never had any problems!
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-11-10 11:48 AM (#51336 - in reply to #51215)

Veteran

What I have heard of Cedar Creek is that you can only ride the close-by trails, the rest of the trails are in hunter territory.

j&j
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-11-14 9:13 AM (#51454 - in reply to #51215)

Elite Veteran

We went to Horse Heaven in Talimena, Oklahoma this past weekend. It is a gorgeous campground! nice people, great trails from logging roads to huge climbs and decents with some rocky areas.. pretty pine trees and overlooks... WHO KNEW? you can also join the trails in Winding Stair Mountain and ride over to Cedar Lake (17 mile ride) there was plenty of water in the creeks and some really neat places to stop and have lunch and rest the horses after the climbs..
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-11-14 7:33 PM (#51478 - in reply to #51215)

Expert

So whats the problem with riding a horse during hunting season?  I'm not from your area, so I obviously don't understand the concern.  There are various hunts open in Utah from Bow Hunting in August, Limited entry Deer, Elk, Moose, Sheep, Goats Antelop in September, General Season Deer and Elk in October ans Late rifle hunts  November. And a few in December.  If I didn't ride during hunting season I would be avoiding the mountains for three to four months.

I also hunt so I am part of what goes on in the woods each fall. But I've never felt threatened by being in the woods during the fall. Hunters have to identify the game they are shooting prior to taking the shot. Even with bird hunting, hunters have to know if they are shooting a Tom or Hen Turkey. Most duck hunts have general limits i.e. 7 birds. and they also have species limits like only Two Redheads , One canvasback, etc. So hunters have to identify a bird quickly prior to shooting.

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-11-14 10:10 PM (#51491 - in reply to #51478)

Veteran

Painted Horse,

Utah must be a special place where all hunters obey all the rules. In our area I sometimes wouldn't feel safe with myself and my horse covered in hunter orange. Too many "good old boys" with loaded guns and "loaded with alcohol" just to keep the chill off !  I ride all thru the hunting seasons but never feel really safe about it. Myself and a riding companion have often remarked about the stories some of these guys would tell around the campfire at night after there big hunt,"You should have seen the big bay I got a shot at today, bet it weighed a good thousand pounds. Had a funny looking horn on its back instead of its head! Thing was so big you probably could have rode it!"LOL

Be carefull in them there woods, Ardly

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-11-15 8:01 AM (#51509 - in reply to #51215)

Veteran

No way am I going to ride around here in the woods during deer season. Way too many idiots thatshoot at anything. WE have had several cows and calves shot in the past and they are out in open pastures. there are some good hunters out there but so many of them just use it as an excuse to go out with the boys and have a big party. They even let school out for a whole week down here. A few years ago some guy shot a mule and loaded it up and tried to check it in. He thought he had shot a MULE Deer! 
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-11-15 3:48 PM (#51541 - in reply to #51478)

Regular

"Hunters have to identify the game they are shooting prior to taking the shot. Even with bird hunting, hunters have to know if they are shooting a Tom or Hen Turkey. Most duck hunts have general limits i.e. 7 birds."

Yes, that is true - in a perfect world.  This isn't a perfect world and that only applies to hunters with ethics and good thought process. I was raised up right in a family of such hunters, but can I ever tell you stories of cows and horses that have been shot "on accident" or by some nitwit that is frustrated and just wants to shoot something to see it drop, or is actually dumb enough to think that anything brown going thru the woods in hunting season MUST be a deer.

In this day and age of moronic thought process, I will rarely even ride my "Deliverance-type" road during hunting season.  I don't worry about my neighbors, but I do worry about the occasional poachers that come out from the Big City. 

Two years ago we had one very intelligent poacher run when he got spotted.  He ran away and left his truck behind --the men got his license number and tracked him down anyway.   Anyone that stupid, isn't someone I want to be horseback riding around.

All that being said, no matter what the time of year, if I'm on the road, I always ride with a hunter orange vest and visor, so I can be easily seen by anyone not paying attention.

Some areas where we have horse trails, are closed down during hunting season to the trail riders.  There's a messge there-----------

Again, it's not the real hunters I ever worry about.  It's the wannabee hunters that are the danger no matter how young or old they are.  In the words of Ron White, "You Can't Fix Stupid" and I don't care to chance riding around even one of them.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-11-15 5:05 PM (#51542 - in reply to #51541)

Elite Veteran

Amen. I wish we did have a perfect world (like in Utah..ha!) I live in Deliveranceville where they gotta go out and kill sumthin. I have gotten buckshot a couple of times in off season here...I will also fire in the air to let them know I'm out there and if it doesn't stop I'll be huntin them. I think they get the guns/dogs/moonshine and go party in these hills. I hope I'm wrong at least 70% of the time...
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-11-15 8:37 PM (#51559 - in reply to #51542)

Expert

I ask the questions because I'm sure other parts of the country are different than my home.

I can understand hunters who have leased a property for hunting not wanting strangers moving around their lease scarying off the game they are seeking. I suspect that some folks don't ride to avoid these conflicts.

I just wanted to understand if you are really afraid of being shot by errant hunters. thats just foreign to me.

An idiot that just wants to kill something, and who would shoot a cow or sheep will do that in April as well as in October. So thats not a hunting season problem, just an idiot problem.

And idiot that doesn't look at whats behind his target, could just as easily hit you when shooting at turkeys or bear in the spring as shooting a deer in the fall.

And there are idiots in all 50 states. Utah hasn't figured out how to outlaw them yet.

It seems that I hear on the radio or read in the paper about at least one death each hunting season.  (Usually a buddy or self inflicted hunting accident) I've rarely heard of somebody being shot at a distance because somebody mistook them for an animal. Or because somebody was shooting at sounds in the bushes.

On the other hand I read in the paper at least weekly of somebody being killed by a car. Pedestrians crossing cross walks, bikers riding on the shoulder of a road. People just driving to work and getting hit by a drunk driver.

I can also open the obituaries every Monday and read about somebody who died when their ATV rolled or crashed while trail riding or at the sund dunes on Saturday.

And it seems that 2-3 times a summer I read about somebody who died when they came off their horse while riding.

So either the press chooses not to report on hunting accidents or their are many other ways where I have a greater chance of getting killed or hurt than hunting.

So I suspect my risk of getting killed are greater driving to the mountains than being in the mountains during hunting season.

I'm not questioning anybodys decision to remain safe. If in your area it's unsafe to go, then by all means stay home.   I just find it hard to believe that there are really that many idiots afield during deer season.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-11-16 7:19 AM (#51569 - in reply to #51215)

Extreme Veteran

Then come to Texas and hunt on Federal property where it's designated as multi-use recreation (includes hunting). So many idiots there you can't believe. We had a hunter shot a few years back here that was operating his turkey call when some other turkey shot him in the brush because he thought the other hunter was a turkey. Most of the hunters are decent, respectful persons but there are the alcohol induced guys who ignore all the rules!  And yes, we had a rider killed on the trails here recently when her horse reared and fell over on top of her. But I can't begin to tell you the number of times that wife and I have been shot at on the designated trails where no hunting is allowed.
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-11-16 9:50 AM (#51579 - in reply to #51559)

Veteran

Painted Horse,

Last fall myself and a cousin where riding national forest land about fifty miles from where we live. Rode upon an elderly gentelman approx.30-40 yards further down the trail from us.He was crossing the trail at an angle and was positioned in such a way that there should have been no way that he wouldn't have seen us coming. The man never acknowledged us in any way whatsoever even though we were nearly right in front of him,just kept walking across the trail and on into the woods. Both of us looked at each other and for the time never said a word. After getting well by the man we both agreed that we were afraid to call out to him for fear that we'd be shot. Was a very scarry moment to be that close to someone with a gun that couldn't see any better than that not to mention to not be able to hear us talking as we rode along. Most of the time when we ride during hunting season nowadays, we make plenty of noise and talk loadly while going down the trails.I'm sure this upsets the hunters in the woods but not nearly as upset as I would be trying to stop the bleeding from myself or my cousins hunting accident! I agree that statisticaly you'd be more likely to be injured or killed in a automobile accident than by hunters bullets, but thats little comfort if you happen to be in someones cross-hairs. Don't get me wrong, I know alot of safe and considerate hunters, It's just not them that I'm concerned about!                                    

Here's to "may you never have a hunters bullet come whizzing by you" and "may all horses make it safely back to the barn!"

,Ardly

mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-11-20 8:59 PM (#51733 - in reply to #51215)

Regular

we go to Cedar Lake as often as possible, love it there, the camps are neat and clean, bbq, campfire rings, picnic tables, water, elec.,  nice clean showers, paved streets to park on. Trails go from easy to difficult, but the scenery is wonderful. We have never had a problem there with hunters either. Just make sure to have shoes on your horses, it is rocky.
dateacher
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-26 7:13 PM (#51944 - in reply to #51215)

Just found this site and saw your posting. I live in southeast Kansas not far from the OK, MO, & AR, border and several years ago had a horse shot and kiilled by a 22 rifle. The horse was in a pasture in front of our house. We live just across from an 800 acre leased hunting area. I belive you are justified to be scared during hunting season. I will ride but wear hunter orange vest and am careful.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-08 9:36 PM (#53559 - in reply to #51215)

Elite Veteran

I live in NE Kansas and ride frequently at Hillsdale Lake which is run by the Corps of Engineers and La Cygne Lake. Hunters share these trails and I have encountered Buckshot within a few yards of where I was riding. I have a Buckskin mare that could be mistaken for a deer. So to let hunters know I am in the area I have started riding with Jingle Bells on the breast collar of my horse. It makes a nice ringing sound and scares the deer and any other wild critter away and also lets the hunters know someone is coming. I also wear blaze orange. Unfortunatly, horse trails are getting harder to remain open to trail riders so it seems we must share them with hunters, ATVs etc. Good luck and happy trails.
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-01-09 11:05 AM (#53587 - in reply to #51215)

Extreme Veteran

And now for the best part! Deer season ended in our area last Sunday without any close calls.  Whewwww and yahoooooooo.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-01-09 7:23 PM (#53623 - in reply to #51215)

Expert

My neighbour lost a cow to a drunk hunter.  He thought he was on his hunting lease which was 20 miles away.  He was caught butchering the cow, figured it was already dead so he might as well eat it.

We lived in an are that was "almost" a residential area.  The area was divided into 10 acre lots and sold off, but one of our neighbors had sold most of his and only had 2 acres.  His son would shoot birds (didn't matter what kind, there isn't a pigeon or crow season is there?) and there were several times when I was hit by falling bird shot.  He caught my gelding in the rear and now he is scared of loud noises.  I talked to his parents but their response was, he's on our land he can shoot if he wants.  So I called the sheriff and he told them it was illegal to shoot in a area with house and said if it continued he would advise me to pressed charges next time one of us was hit by falling shot and if one of the animals was injured we could sue for vet bills.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)