'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New trailer brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-14 11:59 AM
7 replies, 3693 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-01-12 4:58 PM (#53786)
Subject: New trailer brakes

Extreme Veteran

I just had the bearing packed and brake pads replaced on my 2004 Norstar 10' LQ and just about passed out at the bill. They charged me $175 for the brakes pad and 2.5 hours at $85 an hour. $85 an hour seems to be the going rate around here, and 2.5 hours does not seem to long for 4 axles, but $175 for pads for 2 axles? Does that seem about right? Do these trailers require a special brake pad or something? Or should I shop around next time? My bumper pull is do the same work, and I'm hoping the pads won't be that much. It's not a choice to do it myself, and hubby is getting to creaky to do it for me.  The pads had cracked and a piece had even broken off one pad. It only has around 3,000 miles on it, so I am suprised at the condition of pads. I took it in because the brakes were making noise when used. I don't have the controller turned up too high, I've got nice smooth braking.

-Betty

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-12 5:56 PM (#53787 - in reply to #53786)
Subject: RE: New trailer brakes

Expert

I bought "A" set of generic brake shoes from Camping World for a Dexter axle.  It cost $38.  So multiply that by four and add sales tax.  Doesn't seem too out of line for a shop and all their mark-up.

I needed the set quick so I didn't shop around.  A larger axle will cost more for a set of brake shoes.

Did they charge you for rear seals on the axles?  If they repacked all the bearings, good practice says to replace the seals.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-01-12 10:01 PM (#53794 - in reply to #53787)

Extreme Veteran

The seals where not on the invoice. I'll ask them. But the repacking of the bearings was not on the invoice. The mechanic specificy told me he had repacked the bearings when he showed me the old brake pads. Any way I can tell if the work was done?-Betty
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-12 11:00 PM (#53799 - in reply to #53794)

Expert

Originally written by bjhouten on 2007-01-12 9:01 PM

The seals where not on the invoice. I'll ask them. But the repacking of the bearings was not on the invoice. The mechanic specificy told me he had repacked the bearings when he showed me the old brake pads. Any way I can tell if the work was done?-Betty

I don't know of any way to confirm the work without pulling the wheel & hub off.  There are two bearings on each wheel.  The bearing closest to the trailer is the rear bearing.  It is behind a grease seal.  To clean & repack the bearing, the seal has to be removed.  I've never been able to reuse the seal after removing it.  (Too much damage)  I suspect your shop just pumped some grease into the hubs and called it repacked.

This is the mess I got from that practice.  You can see the blown out seal behind the bearing cone.

Edited by hosspuller 2007-01-12 11:17 PM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-01-13 5:51 AM (#53805 - in reply to #53799)

Elite Veteran

hosspuller, as usual you are right on target with all your info.  One thing I wanted to add was using the axles with a zerk fitting on cap that covers the outer bearing. If an axle is fitting with one of those types of bear covers, everyone needs to know you can over do it by pumping too much grease into the hub assembly and I'm guessing that's what happened in your situation?

Here's a helpful hint that I started years ago on boat trailer axles; if the hub cover has a zerk (grease) fitting, the axle hub can be filled with just about any kind of lubricant you can come up with. Here's the trick; I use to pump warm STP lubricant into my boat axle hubs as an additive lubricant to the already existing grease. Remember not to over do it and if you lose the hub cover on the highway, it makes a mess but a little spray degreaser does the trick for clean up.  I sort of got the idea from "oil bath" axles on heavy hauler trailers.

If anyone decides to add the STP to their axle hubs to help lube the bearings, there's a couple of additional steps that I think need to be taken.

1. Clean everything, inspect the bearings.

2. Repack the bearings and install new grease seals.

3. Clean the bearing cap really good and put a little silicon sealant on the sealing edge. This is a little insurance on leakage and making sure the bearing cap does't pop off going down the highway.

4. Take a clean grease gun, pour some warm STP in the barrel and give the zerk fitting on the bearing cap a few shots. The amount the grease gun is pumping out at one time/stroke is about the equivelant of how much toothpaste you can fit on your toothbrush.  I got pretty brave and started giving my bearing hubs about a dozen strokes of STP to make sure I got good coverage.

Hope this info helps some of the "do it yourselfers" with less bearing maintenance. Happy trails.

paintpaddy
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-01-13 7:12 PM (#53825 - in reply to #53786)

Most (if not all) 2004 Cimarron Norstars were equipped with a special axle bearing setup that allows greasing without removing the bearings. This mechansim is ported to allow old grease to be forced back toward you and the outside of the axle bearing setup during the pumping of new grease process. This porting allows an 'escape route' for the old grease and prevents the axle seals from being blown out during the process. You simply wipe off the old grease and you're done. If your repair shop understands and recognized this setup, he may have pumped new grease in the bearings for you without having to charge you for new seals.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-13 9:00 PM (#53829 - in reply to #53825)

Expert

Originally written by paintpaddy on 2007-01-13 6:12 PM

Most (if not all) 2004 Cimarron Norstars were equipped with a special axle bearing setup that allows greasing without removing the bearings. This mechansim is ported to allow old grease to be forced back toward you and the outside of the axle bearing setup during the pumping of new grease process. This porting allows an 'escape route' for the old grease and prevents the axle seals from being blown out during the process...

How is the system used on the Norstars different than the Dexter EZ-lube axles?  What keeps the seals from being blown out?

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-01-14 11:59 AM (#53844 - in reply to #53786)

Extreme Veteran

IF they did the brakes and it has drum brakes then they had to have pulled the hub off and should have replaced the seal..... would also be brake shoes instead of pads on drum brakes. I you have disc brakes of some sort then they probably didn't pull the hub off. That price should be a whole electric brake setup except for the drum (drums should have been turned if there was uneven wear), shoes should be much cheaper but most just replace the whole assembly now instead of putting new shoes on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)