'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Where to stay in Arizona

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-02 8:13 PM
10 replies, 4631 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-12-04 6:54 PM (#52187)
Subject: Where to stay in Arizona

Veteran

A friend and I are planning a 2 week trip to Arizona in March. Seeking information on a place to camp with hookups, safe for horses with access to good trails from the campsite. Also is grass hay available to purchase out there?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rodear
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-08 8:07 PM (#52344 - in reply to #52187)
Subject: RE: Where to stay in Arizona

Take a look at http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/Az.htm There are a number of write-ups about various places that might be of interest to you. The area around Catalina State Park, just north of Tucson is a favorite of many. March is a good time to ride in southern Arizona as the weather is usually pretty good.
CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-12-08 9:52 PM (#52346 - in reply to #52187)

Veteran

CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-12-08 9:54 PM (#52347 - in reply to #52187)

Veteran

oops, hit the button too quick.  We were concerned that too far south would be too warm for our Kansas horses in March, can you give an opinion on that?

rodear
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-09 6:32 PM (#52375 - in reply to #52187)

March around here usually has nights in the forties, sometimes in the low fifties. Days later in the month will often run into the 70's though high 80's are not unheard of. I have found that the key to successful desert camping and enjoyment is to keep an eye on the elevation. The area around Catalina State Park is close to 3000 ft, so it should be reasonable. I have camped and ridden in March near Sedona, which is further north and beautiful. We have had beautiful weather, torrential rains, and snow. We were riding at close to 4000 feet up there and many of the days were in the 60's and low 70's.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-15 8:02 PM (#52539 - in reply to #52187)

Veteran

Finding a place w/hook ups at that time of year is going to be challenging.  I would suggest going to http://www.bridleandbit.com/artman/publish/index.shtml  and maybe put an ad in if you don't find something already listed.  As far as grass hay, it's bermuda....so bring enough of your hay with you to change over.

daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-12-29 9:36 AM (#53007 - in reply to #52187)

Regular

Just a comment about riding in the Arizona desert. There are a lot of Cholla (aka "Jumping cactus") out here.

You'll want to give yourself and your horse plenty of space between these guys. It's best to stay on the trails.

Most riders carry some kind of tool with them to remove the spines if needed (hemostats or a comb work great). Never touch them with your hands.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-29 1:53 PM (#53018 - in reply to #53007)

Veteran

Originally written by daafy on 2006-12-29 9:36 AM

Just a comment about riding in the Arizona desert. There are a lot of Cholla (aka "Jumping cactus") out here. You'll want to give yourself and your horse plenty of space between these guys. It's best to stay on the trails. Most riders carry some kind of tool with them to remove the spines if needed (hemostats or a comb work great). Never touch them with your hands.

OH BOY, are you right!!  I think those things have a life of their own!!  Besides the "pic" comb, be sure to take tweezers w/you.  In the course of trying to help another rider get the darn things off her horse, one got "flung" at me....I didn't know it & reached around my back & one of the spires went right in UNDER MY NAIL!!  Man, that hurt!!  And we couldn't get it out....it broke off so I had to wait for about 3 more hours til I got home!  As it ended up, I still had to go to the doctor's & have it removed....a piece was still in it & it caused an infection!!  Also, there's a little "story" around there that it's just when they stick that they hurt & the area gets numb & don't hurt in a few minutes...I am here to tell you, that is hogwash!!  They keep on hurting!!   (wish I'd had some of that on the ride to numb it!!)

daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-12-31 7:47 AM (#53057 - in reply to #52187)

Regular

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Cholla.

I've seen some terrible wrecks happen when a horse starts bucking after getting into the stuff and tossing their riders right into it as well.

Even the most experienced riders with the calmest horses can't always avoid the cacti. All it takes is a swishing tail to catch one...

Once I was riding my new horse in the desert that I bought in Arkansas. His trail manners weren't quite as good as they should have been. He reached down and took a big bite out of a Cholla catctus bush. Well, part of the plant stuck in his muzzle. The darn things where in so deep we couldn't even pull them out with the hemostats. Every time we tried he would start striking or backing away, which could have caused him to get into more cacti.

The good news was that we weren't too far from our trailer so I was able to hand walk him out. The trick was keeping him from rubbing his muzzle on my back.

The other good news was that I was riding with my vet so when we got back to her truck she sedated him and we were able to remove the thorns.

Newcomers that want to avoid the jumping cacti can always ride in the "high desert". The temps in March are still nice but not much Cholla.

Payson is nice. Some parts are desert but the higher up you go there are some pines also. There is a great horse camp in Payson called "Houston Mesa". They have pull-thru's, corrals, and bathrooms. The trails are are wide and easily negotiated. I think you can obtain info from the Tonto National Forest service.

Happy riding!

daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-12-31 7:53 AM (#53058 - in reply to #52187)

Regular

I should have mentioned that the nights in Payson may still be a bit chilly in March.  The daytime temps should be nice though.  I'm not sure if Houston Mesa Horse Camp is even open year round. 

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-02 8:13 PM (#53214 - in reply to #52187)

Veteran

Have you found a place yet?  If not, PM me & I can fax you the pages out of my US Stabling Guide..... there are several places listed, throughout AZ - that have hookups & are available on a weekly to monthly basis - & advertise lots of trails.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)