'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
'02 Silver Star Bracing... BOO!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-27 3:50 PM
13 replies, 4458 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-26 6:55 PM (#52877)
Subject: '02 Silver Star Bracing... BOO!!!

Veteran

I posted this on endurance.net but will post here for y'alls' thoughts.

I want to build living quarters into my '02 Silver Star.  Due to our present state of affairs (wife in school fulltime, 2 children, 1 on the way, 4 horses...) buying a factory-finished LQ trailer is not and will not be an option within the next 5-10 years.  I'll have to do my own hack job, or pay someone $10,000 to build an honest to goodness weekender package into the trailer.

I'm having a problem, though, trying to figure out what Silver Star was thinking when they braced the underside of the trailer for flooring.  They have crosswise braces about every 6 inches, all the way along the underside of the trailer.  It is therefore impossible to install a black water tank under the trailer.

What are my options?  Is having the factory bracing removed and the proper bracing for LQ tanks installed a viable option?  Can I mount a blackwater tank in the bathroom area and simply raise the bathroom floor to allow the necessary space?  I'd have to raise the floor about 8" to do this... a little "ghetto", but might be the only option.  Assuming the shower will still fit...

Why can't things be easy???  Thank for any ideas...

Mike

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-12-26 7:24 PM (#52878 - in reply to #52877)
Subject: RE: '02 Silver Star Bracing... BOO!!!

Extreme Veteran

It certainly does not sound like a good idea to take out anything that deals with the frame of the trailer.  Also, it would be rather difficult to have a holding tank in the LQ for waste water.  This might be getting off in left field a bit, but have you considered piping out the drain for the shower and carrying a "honey wagon."  You can get these in sizes up to 32 gallon and some even make a 50 gallon.  You can drain into this and when it is full you can go and dump it by hooking it up to your truck.  We carry one of these with us now. It prevents us from having to hook up and go dump when we are camped for extended times.  It might work for you in this case.  Now, it you ever want to resale the trailer, most everyone will want to have the tanks mounted.  However, if this is no concern to you at this time, this might be a feasible way around your problem with little expense.
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-26 8:04 PM (#52880 - in reply to #52877)

Extreme Veteran

Was the trailer bought LQ ready? Does it have the side windows installed, and does the gooseneck have side windows that pop out for emergency? I would contact Silver Star and find out what they suggest, after all they are the ones that engineered the trailer. I looked at their website and only located a 3-h that had a 84" LW and it was 7' wide.

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-26 8:37 PM (#52881 - in reply to #52880)

Veteran

The trailer was braced for air conditioning, and I was told by the dealer in north Georgia that I could add LQ later.  Hahahaha.  The trailer does not have escape windows like on factory LQ trailers, but I've never considered the existing windows an obstacle.  I am very certain I could either kick them out or open one fully and knife out the screen in an emergency.  They're plenty big for an adult to fit through.

Silver Star can re-do the parts of the trailer that need re-doing, but it'll cost a few dollars...

The trailer has a 7' short wall, 11' long wall, and is 7' wide.  The main thing we need is warmth and cool when camping, some storage, a potty for avoiding the porta-pots at rides, and a shower for helping fix the kinks after a fast day on horseback.  Not trying to go extravagant, just trying to have something comfortable on a budget, but that is made well and is of durable quality.

Mike

bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-12-26 9:16 PM (#52884 - in reply to #52877)

Veteran

Here is an easy option for you and the tanks.....If this is mainly for Basecamp at endurance rides, just duct the shower out on to the ground. Same for any sinks. They are only grey water and no big deal. At least not out here in the west.

Use a really nice Portapotty. They flush, have a little holding tank that seperates from the flush water tank and seat. They you can go "flush" in any camp Porta Potty or rest stops. Or worst case, when you get home. Saves all of that pluming and you can't wipe it out on curbs and driveways.

Enjoy seeing your posts here and on Ridecamp. Confusing some days....as I go "didn't I just read that" but it was the other site! HA!

Did you check out how the guy on this site did his home LQ? Really nice.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-26 10:23 PM (#52885 - in reply to #52884)

Veteran

Bechack, I'm definitely learning... Ridecamp is a great place, but I use it only occasionally due to e-mail space.  I think this is a good forum for addressing my concerns, too, since there are many folks here who are knowledgeable in regards to this type of thing... who have done it before.

My progress will go in fits and spurts.  I'm on leave for Christmas, but have to go back to work on Thursday.  It may be NEXT Christmas before I get any work done on the trailer.  I'm definitely making progress with my plans, though.  Used masking tape to tape out my black water tank and bathroom floorplan tonight... looks like everything fits (so far...)  Good news!

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-12-27 5:35 AM (#52893 - in reply to #52877)

Expert

If I am not mistaken Silver Star uses the same floor system as Cimmarron where it doesn't have a true crossmember, So this makes it very difficult to install tanks. If you buy theese trailers with LQ ready package they take a section of this out and install a flat aluminum floor, just in the area that will have tanks afixed. But moving on, in a 7' Shortwall I would not be installing tanks, I would be doing a weekend package, I.E. all drains would be run back to about the axle on the trailer and let run out on the ground. Do that and a porta-potty and it will solve your problem. I have all my tanks made out of Aluminum to fit the trailer I am building, but I did crawl up under a Cimmarron once and decided to go buy another trailer due to this floor system. I am not saying it is bad, it is just very difficult to deal with. I think Sidekick used to use this same system. JMHO
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-27 7:56 AM (#52895 - in reply to #52893)

Veteran

Thank you for your note... appreciate your thoughts on this.

Not an easy situation at all.  There's always 17-year financing on "the trailer of my dreams"... (not really, it seems much easier to accept that the current trailer will require some compromises be made...)

Mike

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-12-27 9:02 AM (#52900 - in reply to #52877)

Veteran

Hi there... If you use a shallow tank about 5" deep at the dump end you will have no problem installing your holding tanks under your trailer without cutting any of your braces under the trailer. The flooring system used by Silver Star is such that the tanks will install  easily and not hang to low. A shallow tank will still give you at least a 20 gal holding tank.

Good Luck

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-12-27 10:02 AM (#52904 - in reply to #52877)

Extreme Veteran

We camp on USDA-FS land in KY and having your drains empty on the ground will get you kicked out and fined.  I would make sure that the place you camp at does not have strict rules governing dumping on the ground.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-12-27 12:03 PM (#52917 - in reply to #52877)

Expert

That braceing that's 6" apart is your floor. The floor and the "cross braces" are one in the same. The big aluminum channel down both sides of your trailer are your frame rails. Wouldn't be cutting or drilling into those! As been said, go with a low profile tank and use a 3" or 4" hole saw to cut through the floor (between the braceing channels) and mout a tank. Should be enough room under there to tie two tanks together to carry 40 gallons total, would help ballance the load. You may want to contact Silver Star before you do alot of cutting drilling and hanging alot of weight in a sling under your trailer. Water weighs 8.333# x 20 or 40 gallons + the weight of the tank(s) etc. I got a 3 horse Silver Star with a 7' straight wall dressing room and a 42" short wall slant mid tack. We use a Coleman porta pottie if out in the boonies and the facilities at the show grounds when available. OH, we have a coin toss when it's time to empty the potty, some how I always manage to loose!
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-27 12:15 PM (#52918 - in reply to #52917)

Veteran

Talked to my Silver Star dealer today... I'm in SC, not terribly far from the Silver Star factory.  I understand that they can properly brace the existing floor for LQ for about $400 there... and can handle a couple other issues for me while the trailer is there.

That is tempting...

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-27 3:02 PM (#52920 - in reply to #52877)

Elite Veteran

Oh Shoot! Go for the 17 year financing!  A new trailer can then become your "retirement" home!
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-27 3:50 PM (#52924 - in reply to #52920)

Veteran

Hahahahaha.  Well... I have a ways to go yet before retirement, unless the Air Force starts allowing folks to retire at the 10 year point.  That is not going to happen, and I would not take them up on that offer, anyway!!

Will probably end up doing some basics for now to make the trailer more liveable, then will have LQ built into the trailer by a pro in a few years UNLESS I make friends with a carpenter, and electrician, an RV builder, and a plumber...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)