'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
double trailer mats ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-26 10:05 AM
12 replies, 3587 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

highgatetrainer
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-24 7:45 PM (#50549)
Subject: double trailer mats ?

Hi, My horse stomps and paws alot.  I am considering putting another set of mats over the existing mats to absorb vibration and make it more quite.  It sounds like she is going to bust a board.  Anyone do this ?  Also was considering on my 3000 mile trailer trip with her this Nov.1st to take out the center divider and make one big box stall 7.6 wide 15 -17 feet long.  Anyone ever use a trailer like a box stall for transport ?  How safe is it to trailer a horse untied ?  Thanks you.... 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-24 8:44 PM (#50557 - in reply to #50549)
Subject: RE: double trailer mats ?

Veteran

Since you have mentioned the subject; I would like to add an additonal question to yours. I have werm flooring in my most recent trailer and I love it with one exception. When I arrive at a camping area and try to clean out the stall area in the trailer; I have found it difficult to clean. I put my dogs in the back area and also some other things so I can get access using my walk through door which means that I would like for the area to be cleaner. I have thought about getting mats to put over my werm flooring but I didn't know if that might create other problems. Maybe someone can reply to this as they answer the previous question on this thread. Thanks.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-24 9:01 PM (#50559 - in reply to #50549)

Expert

Originally written by highgatetrainer on 2006-10-24 7:45 PM

Hi, My horse stomps and paws alot. I am considering putting another set of mats over the existing mats to absorb vibration and make it more quite. It sounds like she is going to bust a board. Anyone do this ? Also was considering on my 3000 mile trailer trip with her this Nov.1st to take out the center divider and make one big box stall 7.6 wide 15 -17 feet long. Anyone ever use a trailer like a box stall for transport ? How safe is it to trailer a horse untied ? Thanks you....

Hi and Welcome.
I don't think I'd want a horse untied in a trailer length anything over 12ft., less if possible. I've had a fairly large horse (Friesian) in an 8ft wide by 7ft long improvised box stall and it has worked well. They don't need to "roam", just need to move around and stretch a bit. The worst case is that they're at the back when you have to slam on the brakes for whatever emergency. Too much length in which to stumble and fall - the wall isn't very attractive, but probably better that they hit it sooner than later.

If the horse is NOT constrained by a stall chest, butt, divider beam, don't tie - last thing you want is a neck wrench.

Doubling up the mats will just give a pawing horse a better chance of pulling up the edges and corners

Edited by Reg 2006-10-24 10:15 PM
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-25 8:51 AM (#50575 - in reply to #50549)

Regular

If you are looking for something that will provide more cushioning and is durable, try equifoam flooring.  http://www.dow.com/equifoam/trailer.htm

This comes in some new trailers and I've looked at some that have it.  It is very "cushion-y".  It can be pricey, but I think it would probably greatly improve the comfort of the horse on a long trip.  It is supposed to absorb vibration.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 9:28 AM (#50577 - in reply to #50549)

Elite Veteran

Sounds like it would be cheaper to train the horse not to paw.

Can't stand a pawing horse.

It only takes a few lessons with a small whip or stick and every time the horse paws,whack! soon they learn that if they paw it smarts.A training collar for a dog works too.

Put it on the offending leg and zap it when it paws.

Works for Me 100 o/o Good luck!

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-10-25 9:29 AM
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 9:54 AM (#50579 - in reply to #50549)

Veteran

I agree, I can't stand a horse that paws either. I have found a good starting point is to cross tie the horse somewhere and put a dog collar above each knee with a string and horse shoe tied to it so when the horse paws the horse shoe hits it in the shin. Once it doesn't paw in this controlled setting it is easier for the horse to adapt to the trailer setting. Sorry, a little off topic.
rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-10-25 10:30 AM (#50581 - in reply to #50549)

Regular

The dog collar trick is the answer to the pawing. As for a big box stall, I haul 3-5 horses routinely in a stock combo Elite trailer. There are no dividers, just a 7ft X 10Ft box with shavings. I do tie them though...don't need them roaming around while going down the road. They get along fine.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 12:12 PM (#50595 - in reply to #50549)

Regular

I've heard that not tying them is better, but personally I don't want my 1200lb horse wandering around in there too much...moving loads are never fun :(

I have a chronic pawer as well. Drives me nuts. HA...the whack with a whip...she laughs at me. She'll stop as long as I'm there, then she starts up again.

The ONLY thing that has ever worked is the dog collar with a foot long piece of chain clipped to it. That stops her cold. However, I have a big problem keeping the dog collar over her knee, it always slips down and ends up on her ankle, and she knows when the chain is not there and starts pawing again. I would never ship her wearing the pawing chains for this reason. I wouldn't want her caught up in them somehow. But man, it's really really really annoying.

I bred this mare and her mother pawed and she's done it since the day she was born. I guess it could be worse.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 12:23 PM (#50598 - in reply to #50549)

Veteran

I have used a circingle before and then put a breast strap around and fastened the chain to that. I would never use any of these in a moving trailer. My ex-husband had a bad pawer one time and he finally attached a dog shock collar to her neck with a strap and on low level. He just sat around outside the trailer and when she pawed, he would shock her. It did cure her.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-10-26 7:06 AM (#50638 - in reply to #50598)

Veteran

Originally written by arlene21 on 2006-10-25 12:23 PM

I have used a circingle before and then put a breast strap around and fastened the chain to that. I would never use any of these in a moving trailer. My ex-husband had a bad pawer one time and he finally attached a dog shock collar to her neck with a strap and on low level. He just sat around outside the trailer and when she pawed, he would shock her. It did cure her.

If you do choose the "shock" method you must do it from the point where they don't see you. The "shock" should not be done in the trailer. You want to remove as many stimuli as you can so the animal associates the "shock" with the behavior and not with you, the trailer, etc.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-26 9:53 AM (#50651 - in reply to #50549)

Expert

I think the double mats won't do anything worth while and increase the chance of being kicked up and becoming a trip hazard while (un)loading.
As the farrier said to me recently, shock can't be absorbed at the hoof.
We were talking about various plastic shoe inserts.

Shock from road bumps is absorbed by the trailer tires and suspension, then by the floor. What gets throught to the horse is taken up in it's leg joints.
"Cushy" floors just make the owner feel that their horse is "Comfy".
highgatetrainer
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 10:01 AM (#50652 - in reply to #50549)

Thanks for your thoughts.  I prepaired the trailer bedding for the trip.  I decided against extra mates.  Think it is over kill.  I just put 6" of shavings with straw on top.  Kept her center divider with breast and butt bars.  Have her set to be tied to the outside wall, not cross tied long enough she can put her head down a bit but not to long.  I am trailering 200+ miles to Southern CA on a two lane highway 395 and think she is safer.  I have ace on board should I need it half way to Florida.  On I-10 if she settles down stops pawing and looks more relaxed then maybe at one of our layovers I will pull out the divider when it is all Highway and mostly flat.  Leave it as an option.  Thanks again.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 10:05 AM (#50653 - in reply to #50549)

Elite Veteran

I have an arabian that was restless in my new slant,seems she was used to riding in a 2 horse straight and was tring to find the but bar.
Moved her over one spot and she could push up against the wall and everything was good!Have a good trip
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)