'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Salt Fork State Park

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-04 11:26 AM
3 replies, 3984 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-10-21 4:41 PM (#50376)
Subject: Salt Fork State Park

Veteran

Anyone ever ride / camp here?. With this year wrapping up and only one overnighter left looking to start planning next years slate. The state has a horse camp and was wondering if anyone had stayed there. Thanks in advance. PS anyone at Gettysburg next weekend ?. We'll be at artillery ridge. Rich.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SkipperW
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-10-21 9:24 PM (#50383 - in reply to #50376)
Subject: RE: Salt Fork State Park

We were at Salt Fork in late August. Salt Fork is the largest State Park in Ohio. The horse camp has both wooded and very open sites. The wooded sites can be tight for a larger rig. There is water for horses and people and pit toilets. There is also a concreted wash rack. There are showers and a dump station at the regular campground that you can use. It is a couple of mile drive from the horse camp. The trails are nice, but can get muddy quick in rainy weather. There are several loops, but they are at least 12 miles long, so if you want a shorter ride it's out and back. There are quite a few areas where you can ride down to the lake to water your horses. I would caution that you not ride in if you don't already see evidence of horses having been there. The bottom is questionable in a lot of areas and you can sink in fast. We are having a problem with Emeral Ash Borers, so many counties are under a quarantine for firewood. We were able to take it in in August, but by the time you plan to make your trip that could change. You'll want to check first. There are also several other State Parks within a fairly short drive; Barkcamp and Beaver Creek come to mind.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'd be happy to help out.

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-10-23 6:21 PM (#50496 - in reply to #50376)

Veteran

Thanks for the info Skipper, our rig is compact ( 18' on the floor) so we can get in some pretty tight spots. Is there room for my portable pen ( just tape and step in posts)?. And is there any grass?. We are planning on doing Salt Fork for a few days and then go to Barkcamp a day or two if time is on our side. We travel and camp during the week usually if the places are busy on weekends.A loop a day would be great if the weather cooperates. We are slowpokes and really enjoy ourselves, but not weenies either. I don't care for the deer path on a steep slope on edge riding but am not deterred by hills and rocks. How do the trails rate, everyone seems to have different opinions ?. I've ridden stuff I consider tame while others can't believe they made it with their life intact. Thanks, Rich
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-04 11:26 AM (#51097 - in reply to #50376)

Extreme Veteran

Rich - We camped there in June 90 - degrees when we were there. But most trails are shady and there were some nice breezes. They have permanent picket lined set up for the horses. We didn't have to set up our elec. pen. I'm not sure if they even allow them. We were ther mid-week on our way back from Pennsylvania and it wasn't crowded.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)