'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for large group trail rides/campgrounds in Central US

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-24 9:15 AM
24 replies, 7108 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cutnrein
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 2:20 PM (#29038)
Subject: Looking for large group trail rides/campgrounds in Central US

We have been to Cross Country trail ride in Missouri which caters to around 4000 horses at a time.  Great time, but hard to get reservations.  Just wondering if there are any other places similiar to this around the middle of the US?  Want week long camping, w/ food offered, and entertainment.   The more people, the better we like it. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-08-09 8:57 PM (#29065 - in reply to #29038)
Subject: RE: Looking for large group trail rides/campgrounds in Central US

Veteran

You might check into www.4-J.net. It is an organized ride. near Waynesville,MO on the Big Piney River. Have talked to several that have been there and really liked it. Another one is www.goldenhills.com. Another one is Panthercreektrailrides.com. I live in MO. Been to Panther Creek and Golden Hills but not on the organized rides. Debbie
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-08-10 9:57 AM (#29076 - in reply to #29038)

Elite Veteran

Big Creek Trail Rides near Hartshorn, MO offers fantastic food and daily entertainment. There are always large groups during their organized rides and also offer guided daily rides with some days having lunch on the trail. The crowd that frequents this place are typically quiet. So if you are looking for more of a party scene that is like Cross Country then this may not be for you. The website is www.bigcreektrailrides.com.

Another place is Ponderosa Trails in Pineville, MO. This campground was recently sold and great improvements have been made to the camping sites as well as the horse stalls. There is also floating on the Elk and other rivers 1.5 miles away. The website is www.ponderosatrails.net.

A good place to locate trail riding places is by going to http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/

Happy Trails!

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-19 12:42 PM (#35720 - in reply to #29038)

Extreme Veteran

I don't know how far it would be for you to travel, but we love to go to MidWest Trail Ride in Norman,IN. the camp and showers are clean. The people are friendly and the trails are easy to follow. They feed you breakfast and dinner in the mess hall and will pack you a sack lunch to take on the trail. There is usually a dance one night and an auction. But book your spot EARLY they do fill up.Hope this helps. RIDE ON!
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-01-21 5:18 AM (#35782 - in reply to #29038)

Extreme Veteran

Golden Hills in Raymondville, Mo is very nice. The owners are Great. One on best campgrounds I've found, lots of big shade trees, fairly level, inground pool, round pens, weight room, clinics (check their website) show arena, cattle drive, hayrides, live band and dancing.  Good food also. Also have a few motel rooms on site for those who don't camp. Close enough to town in case you need to make Wally World run.

http://www.goldenhills.com/

Edited by rockyrider 2006-01-21 5:21 AM
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-24 6:54 PM (#35952 - in reply to #29038)

Extreme Veteran

Cross Country Trail Ride, Missouri www.crosscountrytrailride.com 

4J Big Piney Horse Camp, Missouri      www.4-J.net 

Big Creek Trail Ride 877-932-4846 Missouri

Midwest Trail Ride, Indiana 812 834-6686 MidwestTrailRide.com

All the above I know to be nice places to go.  Another area I recommend to go would be the Shawnee National Forest in Illinois.  The place we stayed was Bay Creek Ranch which I've heard is under new ownership www.baycreekranch.com

I go to the 4J every year and love it.  I plan to go back to Shawnee again, it was beautiful riding.  

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-26 9:30 PM (#36054 - in reply to #29038)

Veteran

We been down to Shawnee National Forest to camps.One Horse Gap nice.Really liked BearBranchRanch is nice has restaurant an tackstore with misc camping items also.Only camping place  down there that has air-con. in shower house.It has plenty of shady roomy camp sites.Really worth a try highly praise.We will go again someday after checking out orther sites an camps.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 3:59 PM (#36242 - in reply to #29038)

Veteran

Paints:
Are you saying that Bear Branch was your favorite?? We are going back this year, and are thinking about Bear Branch too. We did Little Lusk last year, and it was VERY clean too! They do have an indoor shower that is A/C, just so long as the lodge isn't reserved. Otherwise, you have to use the shower houses on the hill that aren't a/c. We were there in that terrile heat of early June, so the A/C in the shower room/lodge was appreciated. The couple that runs Lusk are extremely polite and went out of their way for us. We just want to ride different areas this year, so were thinking Bear Branch, any details would be appreciated!!!
Diane
Andover IL
J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-18 10:54 PM (#37473 - in reply to #29038)

I live in southern Illinois and ride shawnee about 35 weekends a year, look on www.horseandmuletrails.com they have most every campground in the united states. I have been to the rockies and last year the smokies and I always compare anywhere else to shawnee national forest and do like shawnee better. I mostly ride High Knob area and Garden of the Gods, there is a High Knob camp north of Karbers Ridge it isn't a very good camp but it does have good riding. I mostly camp on private property. They allow dogs on the trails if you want. They don't care if you get a little roudy and howl at the moon.
ECMem
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-19 6:50 PM (#37510 - in reply to #29038)

New User

I haven't been to too many places as of yet, but one of the most memorable was East Fork out of Jamestown, TN. The scenery is great and the trails are sometimes challenging. East Fork Stables does have a web site you can look up.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-01 8:31 AM (#42484 - in reply to #29038)

Extreme Veteran

We just returned from a terrific weekend at One Horse Gap Trail Ride in So. Ill. 

we have been to many places over the years and this was the best scenery yet!  The riding was challenging enough, but not so rough that I felt the need to dismount and lead my horse up or down any of the hills. The trailbosses are very knowledgable and they really keep an eye on their guests. Memorial weekend was the first really hot weather we've had and the horses were not ready for it. The staff provided electrolytes the night we arrived. One of the horses in our group overheated on the trail and the staff traded horses with our friend, walked our friend's horse to a clearing and radioed back to camp for a trailer to come pick him up. Wow! These people really take care of you!                                         The campground was clean and had electric at the sites. No stalls, only panel pens but the pens were in the shade. The food was good and the bath house was CLEAN! They are a relatively new camp and are still small (@150 sites). There were only @ 50 trailers for Mem. wknd. but they do fill up for their week long rides.  Rides leave camp after breakfast and you can choose your speed. We took the medium speed the first day (They didn't do a fast ride due to the heat) and took a slow ride the last day. They will give you a map and let you set out on your own, but I don't suggest it. There are so many little turnoffs and pig paths that you could get lost fast. Besides, the trailbosses can give you all the history and stories behind the sights you are seeing. WE HAD A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!      Check them out. They are also having wknd rides for Labor Day and Veteran's Day. We are definitely going back.                        RIDE ON!

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-04 3:24 PM (#42615 - in reply to #42484)

Extreme Veteran

If you want to come to Tennesee we have The Buffalo Trail Ride, Birdsong Trail Ride, Bucksnort Trail Ride, Loretta Lynne Trail Ride and the Big Sandy Trail Ride all have food and week long rides and they are all within a 100 mile circle.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-12 8:02 PM (#42926 - in reply to #42615)

Extreme Veteran

Tenn. does have a lot of good riding. We went to Bucksnort 2 years ago and had a good time. The food was really good and the bath house had AC. However, the trails were not marked well at all. We got hopelessly lost...finally came out on the highway and had to ride back to camp six miles on the blacktop in 95 degree heat! One other caution...If you are camped down by the creek, keep an eye on the weather forecast. Our last night there, we had a flash flood. At 1:00 a.m. we were furiously throwing things into the back of the truck in ankle deep water trying to get to higher ground. By the time we got back to get the horses from their stalls, the water was up to their knees! Some folks just a few sites away from us had a brand new LQ trailer that got severely water damaged. It may not have been the best vacation we ever had, but it sure left us with a great story to tell! ........... Hey, has anyone been to Red Hill horse camp in KY? We are thinking about going there in the fall. Would like to hear some first hand experiences.   RIDE ON!

CNJ-QHORSES
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-17 9:29 AM (#48656 - in reply to #36242)

We are going to be riding at the Land Between Lakes during the first week of October, and were thinking about riding in the Shawnee National Forest for a few days after we leave the LBL. Do you know approximately how far the Shawnee National Forest is from the LBL? And do you have a telephone number or web page for either of the following camp grounds that are near the national forest? Bear Branch Ranch? Little Lusk? And One Horse Gap? (Everyone seems to have good things to say about these places and we want to check them out ourselves) But can't seem to find them on the internet to check them out. Any help or info would be great and muchly appreciated from yourself or anyone else for that matter. I really enjoy this site. Thanks
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-09-17 6:37 PM (#48675 - in reply to #29038)

Elite Veteran

We loved the Shawnee Natl Forest last fall... stayed at Circle B/they had sewer hookups but it is a small camp and I wondered if anyone else had so much trouble with the little signs everywhere we tried to go (Do not trespass on whatever...)?? They told us that the PETA people were out in force and tried to cause horse people problems, is this so??? I think Bear Branch looked better. We thought about going to LOL Kentucky because it is close... like straight over on 60 HWY east of Sikeston,MO... about two hours?? (figure about 6-7 hours from Springfield or Rogersville)

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-17 7:44 PM (#48677 - in reply to #29038)

Extreme Veteran

We are headed to Willow Creek for the last weekend in Oct. It is close to LBL but not as big. There's still plenty of room if anyone is interested!

RIDE ON!

gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-18 9:36 AM (#48702 - in reply to #29038)

Veteran

Where is willow creek? we will be at Birdsongjust south of LBL the last week in Oct as we have for the last 12 years my split the week and go somewhere close

thanks

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-18 10:32 AM (#48704 - in reply to #29038)

Extreme Veteran

Willow Creek is in Cadiz, KY.  (270) 522-0808.  Electric sites are $18. Stalls are $5.  There is a restaurant on the grounds.

"Y'all Come" 

RIDE ON!

gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-18 10:37 AM (#48705 - in reply to #29038)

Veteran

Where is Cadiz?
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-18 10:58 AM (#48706 - in reply to #29038)

Extreme Veteran

Just west of I-24, off Hwy 68. 
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-18 11:04 AM (#48707 - in reply to #29038)

Veteran

Thanksi will check it out
mommamarsh
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-20 2:06 AM (#48822 - in reply to #29038)

Going to Golen Hills in Oct. Very nice facilities,folks, and food. Also in IL,check out Hays Canyon Campgrounds,near Eddyville,Il .Also  a very nice place.But you have to do your own cooking or go the rest.in Eddyville.For MY vacation,I don't want to cook!! ( Husband says I must be on vacation alot!?!)
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-20 10:45 AM (#48837 - in reply to #29038)

Veteran

What a great post!  I have enjoyed reading all of the recommendations.  We are going to Bear Branch in October and am even more excited after reading the positive posts.  Stayed at Bay Creek over Labor Day.  Owners are less than friendly--steep camp sights.  Back your trailer too far and down you go!  There were lots of us there, and she kept coming around hassling people for the $4 or $10 they owed them.  I will continue to try out other campgrounds before going back.  High Knob is great riding, but the camping is pretty rough--very little shade.  I heard it sold.  Someone told my husband they spent Labor Day clearing out their permanent camp site they have there, so I don't know if it is going to remain a campground or they are going to close it down.

gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-20 11:10 AM (#48838 - in reply to #29038)

Veteran

Hay Dwight

Thanks again i went to there website at willow it looks good

we have some friends that are looking at going somewhere only about 30 miles from where we will be at birdsong for a few days if we go to willow i will let you know

thanks

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-24 9:15 AM (#49024 - in reply to #29038)

Extreme Veteran

Gus - hope we see you there. Let me know and I'll PM you our site numbers so you can find us. We love to meet new people.

Concerning riding the Shawnee...I can't stop singing the praises of One Horse Gap Campground. Clean, clean, clean and the owners are SO nice.

RIDE ON!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)