'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Waterproofing doors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-22 11:32 AM
7 replies, 4644 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-20 7:22 PM (#48855)
Subject: Waterproofing doors

Regular

Another question for those who are all knowing!

My trailer has two doors, one on either side of the gooseneck. They are about 2.5 feet square. They are just above the wall - I wish I could post a pic. The purpose is I guess to get stuff out of the gooseneck (it's a four horse head to head). We would like to put stuff up here and maybe a mattress to sleep with - however - they leak. I mean really really leak. I installed weatherstripping around each door, and this helps, but where the hinge is still leaks. It's a "piano" type hinge - even when closed you can see daylight through the hinge. What on earth can I use to waterproof this so that the doors can be opened and closed. We thought about just sealing them up but they do come in handy. Any creative ideas very welcome!

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-20 10:20 PM (#48865 - in reply to #48855)
Subject: RE: Waterproofing doors

Expert

have you tryed corking around the the hing area? use the stuff that is for windows that may help i have never tryed this so good luck.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-21 7:52 AM (#48875 - in reply to #48855)

Expert

Originally written by Gaelic on 2006-09-20 7:22 PM

Another question for those who are all knowing!

My trailer has two doors, one on either side of the gooseneck. They are about 2.5 feet square. They are just above the wall - I wish I could post a pic. The purpose is I guess to get stuff out of the gooseneck (it's a four horse head to head). We would like to put stuff up here and maybe a mattress to sleep with - however - they leak. I mean really really leak. I installed weatherstripping around each door, and this helps, but where the hinge is still leaks. It's a "piano" type hinge - even when closed you can see daylight through the hinge. What on earth can I use to waterproof this so that the doors can be opened and closed. We thought about just sealing them up but they do come in handy. Any creative ideas very welcome!

Thanks!

I think they're "required" as emergency exits if you're going to sleep up there.
What brand trailer ?, I'll look around for something similar and perhaps then come up with an idea.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-21 9:27 AM (#48879 - in reply to #48855)

Elite Veteran

You mite try gluing some rubber strips over the hindge area to keep water from running in.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-21 11:49 AM (#48887 - in reply to #48855)

Regular

I don't know about being "required" as plenty of people here put sleeping space in their goosenecks without these little doors, but all the same, we want to keep them. They're handy and let in light and ventilation. We're going to frame them with wood on the inside to install a screen...hey...maybe I could just seal around the wood really well?

The trailer is a Royle, made by a small manufacturer here in Ontario. We're really happy with it, despite it's needing some work (it's a '93).

Caulking won't work as the hinges move and the caulking will deteriorate and come off as the movement wears on it. I was thinking of attaching a rubber strip, kind of like the seal that goes on the bottom of a garage door, on each side with something...glue...rivets...whatever. But when the door is shut the rubber will be lax and will allow water in at the bottom and the top. Does that make sense? Maybe I should just build the frame and waterproof that on the inside. Thanks!
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-22 9:13 AM (#48945 - in reply to #48855)

Veteran

You might try a rv store or online and see about some type of awning to go above the doors.Not nesesarily the big awnings just the small ones that are still put on some campers(I think) above the entrance as well as some horse trailers that iv'e seen. Might not stop all the water but should help alot! The ones that I'm refering to are only 2"-3" deep or so and as wide as the door or window.

,Ardly

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-22 9:46 AM (#48949 - in reply to #48855)

Elite Veteran

That might work too,like the plastic wind covers you put on trucks,only this would cover the hindge and keep water from running straight on it.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-22 11:32 AM (#48952 - in reply to #48949)

Expert

did you call a dealer and see if they have any idears? would removing the hings and puting a plastic film under them help just and thought?????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)