'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
"Lifting" Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-26 3:37 PM
10 replies, 5480 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mkl
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 9:25 AM (#42241)
Subject: "Lifting" Trailer

I am interested in "lifting" my trailer to create more clearnce between my bed rails and GN.  My coupler is already nearly as high as I can put it and, although my trailer rides level, I would like to more of a 'cushion' when on upaved roads and driveways.

I searched the site for past posts but either I must not be seraching with the right words because I can't find anything, even though I know I have seen posts about this before.

My Question:  How does one go about "lifting" their trailer?  Is one way safer than another?  What am I looking at spending to do this (hopefully cheaper than repairing dents in my bed rails in the furutre!)?

Thank you for any input and advice.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bob42
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 11:20 AM (#42250 - in reply to #42241)
Subject: RE: "Lifting" Trailer

if you have a b&w turnover hitch they have an extension ball. its about 55 bucks.good luck.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-05-25 12:01 PM (#42251 - in reply to #42241)

Expert

I have the same concerns as the original poster.

What does the B&W extension ball offer.  Just lift the trailer higher?

I adjusted my coupler up a hole for added clearance, But now my trailer is not level and by raising the front to clear bed rails, I have lowered my trailers rear (Less clearance under trailer bumper). So I would consider raising the trailer at the axles to help level the trailer.

But the other option I have considered are the balls that fit in the B&W mount, but move the ball 8-9" back in the bed of the truck.  I think this may help my bed rail problem by moving the trailer back away from the tailgate, so that when the truck articulates differently than the trailer on rough ground, the long bed would still have clearance.  I'm not sure if I'm describing this correctly.  Any thoughts.

To answer the original posters question. You  can put spacers or often times "FLIP" the axles to add 1-3" of extra height. This helps with ground clearance on rough roads. But your horses now have a higher step up. I see it a lot on Endurance horse trailers here in the west. Most endurance races are held on BLM or Forest Service ground and that means rough roads.

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-25 2:07 PM (#42261 - in reply to #42241)

Elite Veteran

First, you gotta have the equipment to do it. Jacks, stands, welders and so on. We did it on my buddy Tom's old trailer. We dropped the axles, added a 4inch 3/8" wall box tube to the frame and remounted the axles to them. As for cost, steel prices have risen since then so I couldn't guess.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-25 7:04 PM (#42271 - in reply to #42241)

Expert

I see a few alternatives;
a) Lower the truck - see several threads on this re overly high trucks.
b) Get rid of the tin truck bed, i.e. put a flat bed on, add low sides if you want them.
c) Extend at the coupler, just get a longer inside tube.
d) Put air ride on the trailer, with self levelling it will only pump itself up when loaded.

e) Some combination of the above.
f) None of the above.

BTW, I have b) and d) works it well.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-05-25 11:12 PM (#42278 - in reply to #42271)

Expert

Now that's a thought, Air rides on the trailer.  Level while driving. lower to unload horses. Hmmmm

So how would this been done?  Most new trailers have ( is it a Torison Bar) axle.  Where would you put the Air rides, and does the axle have enough play to lift several inches?

mkl
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-26 12:40 PM (#42292 - in reply to #42241)

Thanks for the help.

I have the B&W trunover ball and the 4" extender, but I put a Pop-Up extended coupler on the trailer so I don;t use the 4" B&W ball anymore.  The problem is the trailer's height more than the truck.  In order to keep a level ride I can't raise the coupler any higher.  In order for my truck to serve its duties at this point in its life, getting rid of the bed is not an option.  So now it looks like I am left with air ride as an option.  

Time to do some more research...Keep coming with anymore suggestions.  Thanks!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-26 12:59 PM (#42293 - in reply to #42278)

Expert

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2006-05-25 12:12 AM

Now that's a thought, Air rides on the trailer. Level while driving. lower to unload horses. Hmmmm

So how would this been done? Most new trailers have ( is it a Torison Bar) axle. Where would you put the Air rides, and does the axle have enough play to lift several inches?

With air ride there is not as much need for such extended wheel travel, e.g. you don't need the "for bumps" part of wheel travel at both ends of the loaded/unloaded range, since you are always in the middle of that range anyway. Axles across the frame are usually used with leaf springs, which give a back-up if the air system springs a bad leak. I havn't had a leak so far, though I worry about it from time to time and usually shop around for a spare air bag to carry just before a coast to coast trip, but it drops down the priorities and I still don't have one. I've run it flat as an experiment and it is OK.
mkl
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-26 2:33 PM (#42295 - in reply to #42241)

I have tried to do some researching on-line about air ride systems without much luck.  How much would something like this cost? 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-26 3:24 PM (#42297 - in reply to #42295)

Expert

Originally written by mkl on 2006-05-26 3:33 PM

I have tried to do some researching on-line about air ride systems without much luck. How much would something like this cost?

It depends on how much you can do vs how much you have to have done and whether or not you could get it done at a reasonable hourly rate.
Straightforward axles are easy to find and relatively cheap, you could probably move your existing brakes over. You MIGHT be able to find a pair that have been taken off a trailer that was "upgraded" to torque-flex.
Air bag systems for trucks are about $250 for basic parts, another couple of hundred for pump and guages, maybe another $200 for automatic levelling.

Search for companies like "Link" and "Kelderman", also go to the RV forums.
There are some old threads in this forum that touch on it.
monica
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-26 3:37 PM (#42299 - in reply to #42241)

My trailer was custom built, so this was done during manufacturing. We added a 2 inch lift kit. It is basically a 2 inch square steel tube that is added at the axles, to lift the trailer 2 inches higher off the ground. Not sure how complicted this would be to do on a finished trailer. We did this to clear the stupid new truck's higher tailgates and bedrails. I don't think they make trucks for actual "truck" use anymore. No more just tossing some heavy object into the bed of the truck. Now you need a stepstool followed by physical therapy for your back. Or you just do like alot of folks in my neck of the woods do: have your trailer point uphill so the horses are never on the level unless you're on a downhill slope.

Edited by monica 2006-05-26 3:39 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)