'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ panelling

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-22 7:02 PM
5 replies, 2918 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

welty
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-05-20 10:12 PM (#42032)
Subject: LQ panelling

New User

I am in the process of putting new LQ in my horse trailer, and have gotten to the panelling.  I put in new insulation and stud walls. My question is how thick of panelling do I need to use.  I would like to make it smooth and paint it afterward.   Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-20 10:27 PM (#42033 - in reply to #42032)
Subject: RE: LQ panelling

Regular

I'm by far no expert, but I think the thickness of your panelling doesn't matter. I do know that you should use "firring" strips of wood to attach the panelling - if you screw the panelling to the metal frame of the trailer itself, you will get condensation travelling through the screw and the moisture will destroy all your hard work.

Personally, I bought some cedar tongue-and-groove closet lining on clearance at a local hardware store, and it's spiffy looking :) I was going to go for the pine and paint it, but I like the uniqueness of the cedar. This will go halfway up, and for the top half I'll be using that pre-fab stuff (kinda like the stuff you find in '70's style rec-rooms - but not as ugly!!!). It's all personal preference and what you'd like to have - like a rec room :)

Good luck! It's big (but fun) project to tackle.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-21 8:35 PM (#42062 - in reply to #42032)

Veteran

Were in the process of building our LQ'S now too.  We used a paneling from Menards.  It's an ivory with some sort of pattern to it.  Very simple, but pretty.  With the oak cabinets and flooring, it looks really nice.  I think it's a matter of preference.  Some like knotty pine, just depends on you and the trailer.

Good Luck

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-22 9:02 AM (#42080 - in reply to #42032)

Veteran

we got ours from menards.  It is white and has green ivy leaves on it.   With oak wainscotting and trim and oak cabinets it looks real nice.  Almost sounds like the same as what the previous poster has. 

Pics are here:  http://www.debknudson.freewebspace.com/photo2.html

However, if I would it again I would probably go with a paneling that doesn't show the dirt.  With the white you do have to be careful it doesn't get dirty.  I have seen some panelling that kinda looks like the soft vinyl that they are using to put on the walls of some trailers.  It is colored it doesn't show smudges.   I have been using white chalk to clean/cover the smudges.  It does work somewhat.  I found that where I hang the bridles, they rub the wall and so I have smudge marks from them.   Now I have a towel hanging behind the tack against the wall so it rubs on the that instead of the wall. 

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-22 9:13 AM (#42084 - in reply to #42032)

Veteran

Our paneling is the ivory with beige. I saw that green, and it's pretty too. Your trailer looks really nice! I will post a picture or two when I figure out how you do that!
Diane
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-22 7:02 PM (#42108 - in reply to #42032)

Veteran

thanks.   I am thinking on selling it this fall and order a different trailer so that I am able to get a vis a vis and horse in it.   I am not able to do that with this one.   Althou, when I ask trailer dealers on what kind of price to put on it they quote me the cost of it unfinished.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)