'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
what to look for in a trailer conversion company

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-19 8:19 PM
4 replies, 2665 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-19 8:06 AM (#40666)
Subject: what to look for in a trailer conversion company

Regular

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lemannaide
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-04-19 10:50 AM (#40671 - in reply to #40666)
Subject: trailer conversion company

I found that opinions on conversion companies are like that of what is the best truck, Ford,Chev, Dodge etc.  I just went through a process of getting a conversion and put a lot of time and thought into it.  I first looked for the layout that I wanted.  Once I found that I looked at the price and quality of the workmanship.  If you are doing comparisons, look to see what is standard and what is upgrades, because that differs between companies and can add significantly to the original cost.  Most companies carry a year guarantee on their work.  If you know what size your shortwall will be you may be able to get some ideas from photos of trailers for sale on this website. 

I was able to get Country Design to do my living quarters and was extremely happy with the workmanship and layout.  They mostly do American Spirit trailers, and you should be able to find some plans through HTW.  If those layouts are not up your alley, there are plenty of others and companies to choose from

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-04-19 12:16 PM (#40674 - in reply to #40666)
Subject: RE: what to look for in a trailer conversion company

Veteran

Upon looking around you have to compare apples to apples.  Do they have a "standard" package, can you upgrade.  You want to be able to make your trailer your own... Having a normal layout is great, but they are in the business to build trailers and they have tried all types of layouts and know which works best with different short and long walls. If they are willing to explain and talk with you, that is the company you want to go with!

I personally got the privilidge to tour Sierra Conversions and I was completely amazed.  The options you can have, the quality of the material.  We walked down the line to see the stages of the trailers and it was amazing how structred and organized they were.  Insulation is top grade, no slacking there, down to plumbing and wiring..  it was amazing.  I then could step down the line and see the steps to finishe the trailer.  I was floored.  Even took NON horse hubby to see it and he was amazed.  Right down to the finishing.  It was finished better than I have seen some homes.  Trim was lined up and you could tell they take pride in their conversions. 

They only do conversions through dealers and it shows.  The quality is unbelievable. 

run&jump
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-04-19 2:03 PM (#40681 - in reply to #40666)

Good customer service! If they are not eager to help you when you are looking to buy, it seems unlikely that they will be eager to help fix problems once they already have your money. I called a very highly regarded conversion company once, and was called back. I called another good, but less well known company, four times, and was never called back. Guess which company is going to get my money?

Edited by run&jump 2006-04-19 2:04 PM
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-04-19 8:19 PM (#40690 - in reply to #40666)

Veteran

Amazing that this topic should just be brought up. I am just recovering from a not very good experience with a conversion company! Most of my problems are my own fault because I am a newly single woman trying to make it on my own and am at the mercy of lawyers, cardealers, repairmen and conversion companies! First thing, and most important....get it in writing! I visited the conversion company, saw their work and liked what I saw. I had started out as a DIY....having bought all the big stuff, shower/toilet combo, fridge, hotwater heater, sink. I have only a small 4' short wall trailer...not a lot that can be done with that space, but I had seen other trailers and knew what could be made out of it. After getting no help from family and friends I sought this conversion company which is conveniently located to my home. I was told to bring my trailer and my supplies and they would give me a bid. Their bid was quite a bit higher than I had expected. They had an identical trailer which was finished off very nicely and they quoted me the same price as that trailer, giving me credit for the big stuff in the amount of $4,000. I had a lot of additional supplies which they said they would look over and give me credit for, such as the leather look wall covering, several spools of 12 volt wire, bags full of the expensive plumbing lines stuff, enough sheets of luan paneling to do the trailer, the light fixtures, $30 in 1x2's and other things too numerous to mention. I showed him what I had and told him what I wanted....went into the office and they drew up a very sketchy bill and I paid a down payment. I left there wondering what I had just done. In a panic I e-mailed, asking about various things like, would I get a step (as the trailer that I looked at had a step), how would the shower be finished off, etc. They never responded. I had given them my home, my cell, my work number. They basically didn't care about my input. I took that as they didn't want to be bothered, so I didn't. I didn't even stop in as I drove by to visit my son who lived in the vicinity. I waited patiently until they told me the trailer was ready. When I went to pick it up I was sooooo disappointed. They hadn't put the step on, but they said that they could do that....which they added the cost and labor to the bill. There was no outside plug in, which I had asked for specifically and had even given them 2 or 3 in the box of supplies. I had asked for a light going out to the horse compartment, even had a wire run already, which I had a light fixture provided to go there. "He" said he usually put a porch lite there. I said that would be fine. I got NO LIGHT. He had put a closet in a space that if he would have just bothered to ask I would have told him that I would rather have shelves...built them myself. He seemed to be so particular....like he wanted it to be right, out of pride in his work. But why have pride in your work, if your customer is so unhappy that she won't even recommend you????? I don't get it. I paid the money that he asked, including the added step. I didn't get any credit for the supplies
that I gave him. When you pay that much money for something, you expect that it will be the way you want it. He didn't care. He just did it the easiest that he could. I didn't want to make him mad in case I needed help with something. This last week end, I had called and asked him to build a cover for the sink, as I ended up with no counter space. At first they balked like they didn't have time for me, now that they had me done, but I got a call that it would be ready as I would be visiting my son for Easter. I picked the cover up and as I went to leave, "he" asked wasn't I going to pay for the cover. I really was surprized and responded that I didn't think I owed him anything, considering all the materials that I had supplied him. He went crazy, telling me to get off the premises and never come back! It was a lesson to be learned! I was much too trusting. I should have had him itemize everything instead of just the few things. So be careful! Looks isn't everything.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)