'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ramp vs. No Ramp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-01 7:00 PM
19 replies, 5880 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-21 11:27 AM (#34277)
Subject: Ramp vs. No Ramp

Regular

what are the pros and cons of a ramp?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-21 11:40 AM (#34278 - in reply to #34277)
Subject: DELETED

Veteran

DELETED

KCW
Email:
karl1952@email.com

Edited by KCW 2006-02-14 9:14 AM
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-21 12:08 PM (#34280 - in reply to #34277)
Subject: RE: Ramp vs. No Ramp

Regular

thanks!

hayburner1
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-21 3:20 PM (#34286 - in reply to #34277)

One draw back to the ramp, they can get slippery at times, when we had a ramp we had to use shavings to give the horses footing during unloading, you may not have that problem in Georgia.  Even with that, I do like the ramp as horses that are used to step-up load/unload easily with a ramp, this is not the same for horses use to a ramp, loading and unloading can take some patience.  Also the ramp allows you to haul 4 wheelers, tractors, etc....  By the way, we have a ramp on our bumper pull and a step up on our goose neck.
jillian
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-12-21 3:43 PM (#34288 - in reply to #34277)

Is there some kind of device that can assist in lifting the ramp in addition to the springs?  Does anyone know how much weight it feels like you are lifting when you lift a "spring loaded" ramp like on a CM Dakota?   
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-21 4:48 PM (#34296 - in reply to #34277)

Extreme Veteran

Boy a matter of personal prefferenc. I ty my horses to the rear bar and saddle them there. Can't do that with a ramp. I had a Sundowner with one on it and took it off. On the other hand I know people that add them on. People that like them love them and people that don't hate them.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-12-21 5:25 PM (#34297 - in reply to #34277)

Expert

When I bought my current trailer with a rear tack and mangers, I could no longer allow my horses to turn around inside the trailer and come out head first. This created a real crisis for my 9 yo gelding. He had a heck of a time learning to back out. He would back to the edge and just wouldn't take the step down at the edge. It took several days in the hot July sun to teach him to back out.

My other 4 horses it was no big deal, they backed out first try. So it really depends on your horse. My trailer is several inches tailer than most. So it's a little bigger step than most trailers. I ordered it for Off Road travel where I drive to trailheads at the end of Forest Service access roads. I didn't want to be dragging the bumper over rocks.

My personal opinion is to not complicate the trailer, it's just one more thing I don't have to open/close when getting into the horse compartment.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-21 7:56 PM (#34303 - in reply to #34277)

Expert

The Scheve (and someone else) book is "A" book on trailers and trailering, hardly "THE" book.
There is an implied assumption in the quote that ALL ramps have a hollow sound that might be disconcerting to (some) horses, that ALL ramps are inconveniently heavy and/or not adequately sprung, etc., etc.
I think this shows a limited exposure to, and knowledge of, how ramps can be built - by quality builders...
It can be "done right" and is done right by a number of manufacturers.

If you want a trailer with a ramp, find one that is sturdy, doesn't "ring hollow" and has adequate balance springs (for you / your physical capability).
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-22 12:45 AM (#34309 - in reply to #34277)

Extreme Veteran

The pro and cons have been stated and all good reasons...In my case I bought a trailer without one. A newer G/N. They seem to have a taller deck height to fit the tall trucks nowdays. I thought well I'll just order one and put er on...LOL...spendy after the fact! So if you kinda think you want one get it. They arn't that expensive when you order the trailer. Spendy after the fact, shipping and everything. You can always take it off and put on a rubber bumper...

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-12-22 6:58 AM (#34313 - in reply to #34277)

Elite Veteran

Mine has one and I'm glad it does, but I've trailered with step-ups and haven't had any problems.  Mine is located inside the rear doors and we have tried to insert a spring, but they were unable to.  It can be heavy, but I'm used to it. 

It sure did come in handy when I moved and used my trailer.  I borrowed a dolly, put 3 boxes on it, wheeled it into the trailer and then back out, across a board right into the house.  Saved us a lot of money using movers and we were able to do it on our time. 

It's really a matter of preference as explained by all the posts.

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-22 7:42 AM (#34316 - in reply to #34277)

Extreme Veteran

I have one on my Exiss Event and while when I bought the trailer it was already on the trailer, and all of my other trailers before this one never had a ramp, I didn't know how I would like having one.  I wouldn't be without one again! It is especially nice to access things in my rear tack, especially pulling a saddle down from the top rack. Mine is very lightweight, I can lift it with one finger and it is not hollow sounding, my horse and others have not minded loading with it.

The only negative feeling I have had about one is the horrific thought that while driving away I forgot to put it up! Hasn't happened yet!!!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-22 8:08 AM (#34317 - in reply to #34316)

Expert

Originally written by MIfarmbabe on 2005-12-22 7:42 AM

I have one on my Exiss Event and while when I bought the trailer it was already on the trailer, and all of my other trailers before this one never had a ramp, I didn't know how I would like having one.  I wouldn't be without one again! It is especially nice to access things in my rear tack, especially pulling a saddle down from the top rack. Mine is very lightweight, I can lift it with one finger and it is not hollow sounding, my horse and others have not minded loading with it.

The only negative feeling I have had about one is the horrific thought that while driving away I forgot to put it up! Hasn't happened yet!!!

I did do exactly that with a side ramp, which is the main reason that I know so much about the construction, repair and parts availability of 4-Star trailers (-:
It brought new meaning to "Circle check".

Edited by Reg 2005-12-22 8:10 AM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-22 3:32 PM (#34331 - in reply to #34277)

Expert

When I was buying a trailer, the ramp was a low priority item. There was a host of things more important "must-haves" that I wanted before I bothered with a ramp. Turns out the trailer I bought did not have a ramp but since I never had one before, I didn't miss it. I do see advantages but only for the people ( short people like me)  not so much for the horses. If a ramp is really important, then by all means, get one. But it the trailer has everything you want and meets your needs, its up to you if the lack of a ramp is deal breaker.

monica
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-22 3:53 PM (#34334 - in reply to #34277)

When I bought my new trailer, it was a step up, like my old one. It was custom built to my specs. Because the newer trucks are so darn high off the ground we put a lift kit on the trailer. I didn't mind that it was a bit higher off the ground and my horses did OK with it getting in - no problem. The issue I had was, depending on where I was parked for unloading, the backwards step out could vary by quite a bit. I finally had a ramp added. They do just fine with the ramp too.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-22 11:33 PM (#34348 - in reply to #34334)

Extreme Veteran

My gooseneck is a step-up and my horse does fine with it, either backing out or turning around (preferable) but, there was a time last summer that I was loading a friend's horse, and his leg slipped under the bumper because the ground was wet. It looked like he could have easily broken his leg, but he carefully pulled it out and up, while I literally held my breath. It was amazing that he wasn't hurt. Now I am a little paranoid about that and always carefully check the condition of the ground where the horses will be loading and unloading. Before that incident I didn't think too much about it. At least with a ramp I think you could avert this particular hazard. I want to add a ramp when I can afford it... not sure how they'll do it since I have one a big door, not the double doors.
heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-23 7:19 AM (#34353 - in reply to #34303)

Regular

Merry Christmas Reg!

I am curious, just which book do you consider THE guide to horse trailers and trailering? I have read Tom and Neva Scheve's book cover to cover, and while I do not agree with every concept, I have not found a more authoritative, and comprehensive book about trailers and trailering on the market. Perhaps I have missed something at Borders.

I have attended 2 of Neva Scheve's presentations at the Horse Expo, Timonium, Maryland. Concepts difficult for some folks to understand, such as GCWR's and axel ratios were clearly explained as well as many safety issues.

Additionally, Tom Scheve, her husband, was "Mr. Trailer" for this forum in it's early days. He always presented answers clearly and accurately.

Happy Holidays,

Brenda

schrock
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-31 10:33 PM (#39855 - in reply to #34296)

New User

Do you still have the ramp off the sundowner?  We are looking for a ramp to add on.

Thanks,

Beverly

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-04-01 9:53 AM (#39864 - in reply to #34277)
Subject: One of my favorite topics . . .

Veteran

This is one of my favorite topics.  Reading the posts on this one will tell you why.  The only things as exciting are short bed vs. long bed, goose neck vs. tag along, aluminum vs steel, SDs or Brenderups.

One we ought to discuss sometime is trained to load vs not trained to load and why that is, if the horse has been with the owner for a while . . .

roll on

Edited by RollinPonies 2006-04-01 9:55 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-01 5:42 PM (#39871 - in reply to #39864)
Subject: RE: One of my favorite topics . . .

Expert

Originally written by RollinPonies on 2006-04-01 10:53 AM

This is one of my favorite topics. Reading the posts on this one will tell you why. The only things as exciting are short bed vs. long bed, goose neck vs. tag along, aluminum vs steel, SDs or Brenderups.

One we ought to discuss sometime is trained to load vs not trained to load and why that is, if the horse has been with the owner for a while . . .

roll on

Straight vs Slant.
GM vs Ford vs Chryco.
Diesel vs Gas.
DRW vs SRW.

Ya think we'd have a FAQ by now ?
(-:

Here's one of MY most FGAs (frequently given answers).

"Please search for previous posts on this topic. It has been covered several times in the recent past and you can find previous answers much faster than we can re-write them."
{paraphrased}
(-:
jillian
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-04-01 7:00 PM (#39874 - in reply to #34277)

I just bought a sl bp trailer with a ramp to replace my sl bp without a ramp.  My horses love it.  They don't jump out the back anymore.  This made me nervous a few times when we had trouble finding a "non-swampy" place to load and unload.  They take their time walking out.  The ramp can be lifted with a few fingers, it is spring loaded.  I  made a point of pressing my toe on the ramp before they stepped onto it the first few times, so that it didn't move when they stepped on it.  It has very grippy matting.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)