'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camera for horse area...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-17 4:19 PM
10 replies, 4247 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 1:55 AM (#39266)
Subject: Camera for horse area...

Veteran

Can anyone recommend a good camera for the horse area?  How is the electrical connection made for the video display between the truck and the trailer?

Thanks,

Mike

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-22 6:18 AM (#39274 - in reply to #39266)
Subject: RE: Camera for horse area...

Expert

Originally written by racesarabhorses on 2006-03-22 2:55 AM

Can anyone recommend a good camera for the horse area? How is the electrical connection made for the video display between the truck and the trailer?

Thanks,

Mike

It is illegal to drive while looking at the screen.
That said, they're getting cheaper all the time.
The longer I wait for the price to come down the less I feel a need for one.
Maybe the horses are just getting more used to my driving.

Anyway, some of the kits come with about 60ft of video cable, others are "wireless", though transmission/reception through truck and trailer might be problematic.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 7:27 AM (#39282 - in reply to #39266)

Expert

Originally written by racesarabhorses on 2006-03-22 1:55 AM

Can anyone recommend a good camera for the horse area?  How is the electrical connection made for the video display between the truck and the trailer?

Thanks,

Mike

What are you going to do if they are being bad? Slam on the brakes?

PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-03-22 9:53 AM (#39299 - in reply to #39266)

Veteran

I recently installed one for a long (1100 miles) trip with a foal. Instead of paying big bucks for a wireless system I went to walmart and bought their cheapie b/w "home security" camera. Mounted it in the trailer and ran the 60' of RCA cable up to the truck. I plugged it into my laptop (with another converter device). It's set up to plug directly into a tv. worked great and cost me only about $60 for the camera. It was nice to be able to keep an eye on her during such a long trip.
Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-22 10:15 AM (#39303 - in reply to #39266)

There are a lot of options out there. On an existing trailer, I would recommend that you consider a wireless set up.

You might check this site out - or similar sites.

http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RBCARVS&Category_Code=1

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-22 1:33 PM (#39320 - in reply to #39299)

Expert

Originally written by PaintPony on 2006-03-22 10:53 AM

I recently installed one for a long (1100 miles) trip with a foal. Instead of paying big bucks for a wireless system I went to walmart and bought their cheapie b/w "home security" camera. Mounted it in the trailer and ran the 60' of RCA cable up to the truck. I plugged it into my laptop (with another converter device). It's set up to plug directly into a tv. worked great and cost me only about $60 for the camera. It was nice to be able to keep an eye on her during such a long trip.

Details, gimme details.
I was sort of browsing around at the baby monitors at MalWart last week, thinking "horse trailer application". Unfortunately they all seem to run off wall warts, not 12volts dc. I s'pose you could cut into them and find that they really run off 9 volts DC, then hack something up to run from the lighter socket.

Yes, into the laptop would be convenient, I run that most of the time for navigation anyway.

On screen answers to;
Where are we ? Where are we going ? When will we get there ? Are the horses ok ?
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-03-22 10:45 PM (#39355 - in reply to #39320)

Veteran

Hi Reg, since you asked, here are some details.

Audio/video section of walmart. the homeland security black/white camera with 60' of rca cable. You may also be able to find this same camera on ebay for less. there are lots of cameras out there that I'm sure will work, this is just the only one I've personally used.

Mounted it near the ceiling at the back, right hand corner of the trailer (hip side). This camera has a little stand and you can flip it upside down and screw it in to a support on the roof. Had to relocate it after not taking into account that horses heads come up very high when loading and unloading. Ran the cable out the back door, along the awning, down along the gooseneck frame and into the back door of the truck. Attached temporarily where necessary with zip ties. Have someone stand near with the laptop hooked up and tell you how to position for best view.

Now, for display. The easiest option would be a "rv type" TV designed to run off DC power. However since I already have a laptop that I use for GPS navigation I wanted to use that. I found a device at circuit city that lets you send signal from coax or rca cables into your laptop. It's called a Hauppauge **edited to say** no my misake, that's the software. The name on the box is WIN TV USB2** and was around $100. I already had this device to use for my foal cam so it wasn't an additional expense. This device will also let you view and record TV on your computer. It's a USB connection. Comes with software to view and manipulate the video feed as well. It needs no additional power source.

OK, power. The camera is in the trailer. It needs no power at the camera end. At the truck end it has a regular house plug. I simply plug that into a converter/adapter. I never get that name right...the thing that lets you plug a normal "house" plug into your cigarette lighter...rectangular box with an internal fan. (hint, these are much cheaper and more reliable at Lowes than the ones you find advertised specifically for laptops) I already had one for my laptop. Mine has 2 recpt. but the camera plug was too big to put side by side with my laptop plug. So I ended up buying a second one.

You end up with a lot of cables and such and it's probably not any cheaper than a wireless system unless you already have some of the equipment. In my case it worked perfectly. My only complaint was that the sun coming in the windows could sometimes make the image too bright to see really well. It was worse as we were passing from shade to bright sun. Most of the time, though, I had a really clear image. I left the lights on in the trailer at night and the image was the best then. Hope this helps!

Edited by PaintPony 2006-03-23 8:58 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-23 11:41 AM (#39390 - in reply to #39355)

Expert

Thanks,
Thats the level of detail we can go shopping with.
Lights on in the trailer,,,, I need to think about that.
Summit1
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-24 10:43 AM (#39444 - in reply to #39266)

Check out E-Bay, Lot of Good Buys there for RV backup Cameras, good quality also good pricing
maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-26 11:18 AM (#39536 - in reply to #39444)

I got a wireless set up at radioshack that works ok, not the greatest but I can move it anywhere and see what is going on, and the bought a power converter for $30 in sams club to run the monitor in the truck without burning battereis, I think  I paid $100
AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-17 4:19 PM (#40572 - in reply to #39266)

Regular

I just purchased a wireless home protection camera and tv from radio shack for $90.00. Works great in my f350 crew cab daully and 20ft gooseneck slant. I purchased an adapter for the cab to plug the TV into the cig lighter so I dont have to use batts. Made a simple mounting bracket out of a wood with 2 holes on either side of the cammera to secure it with zip ties (easy to change cammera batts that way and is very secure). Then mounted it in the rear of the trailer with two L brackets. Works GREAT!! This system also had night and sound. Great for keeping tabs on the kids in the back.51
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)