'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brake help needed

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-20 11:07 AM
8 replies, 2994 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-19 8:51 PM (#39085)
Subject: Brake help needed

Hello again, I was wondering if I could get some help or advise on the brakes of my horse trailer? It has hydraulic brakes on it but they haven't worked in at least 10 years. We are now in the process of restoring/repairing the trailer and wondered what to do about the brakes. Can the hydraulics be fixed after all this time? Could they be converted to electric? Could we completely remove the hydro and put in all electric? Would it be easier to change the axles?

Any Advice, Ideas, or Help that you can provide? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks very much in advance,
Willa
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-19 9:19 PM (#39087 - in reply to #39085)
Subject: RE: Brake help needed

Extreme Veteran

You could take the hydraulic brakes off the trailer and replace them with electric brakes. You would have to buy the complete brake assembly, which includes brakes with backing plates, and the drum with bearings. If you don't have a brake control on the towing truck, one will have to be installed. Most states require a break away brake control.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-19 9:48 PM (#39088 - in reply to #39085)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with BigT....If you take one of the brake assemblys off and take it to a good RV or any good trailer repair outfit they can tell you what you need to get (drum size and backing plate bolt pattern,and lug bolt pattern). Dexter axle on-line is a good place to look for specs on your own.

Added....I was looking at your project on another post....Looks good!... 

Edited by xyzer 2006-03-19 10:03 PM
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-20 7:38 AM (#39093 - in reply to #39085)

Expert

Hydraulic brakes are sooo good! Why would you want to put electric on?
starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 10:30 AM (#39105 - in reply to #39093)

Originally written by hav2ride on 2006-03-20 8:38 AM

Hydraulic brakes are sooo good! Why would you want to put electric on?

To be honest, I don't know anything about Hydro brakes except that the ones on this trailer have never worked and I have always tripped over the hydro box on the front when stepping over the front of the trailer.

From my point of view basically cost is the first thing. Then work. We have to do this ourselves if at all possible to keep costs down. If the hydro brakes are repairable and it's the cheapest option that would work, then lets go!

That's why I asked about options. I don't know what's doable and whats not.

Willa

starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 10:32 AM (#39107 - in reply to #39088)

Originally written by xyzer on 2006-03-19 10:48 PM

Added....I was looking at your project on another post....Looks good!... 

Thank you!

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-20 10:49 AM (#39109 - in reply to #39085)

Extreme Veteran

You can rebuild the hydro brakes....Actualy they work well in normal braking conditions....They are alot safer than none. You would have to do some research and find out what master cylinder,brake cylinders they used and get rebuilt ones. A good brake shop or parts store might be able to tell you what the replacements are off of. It is possible... Some give you a problem if you try and back up a hill or over a bump it applies the brakes....No brakes in reverse... Some have a pin you can put in the accutator to deactivate them for backing. You can look at both angles....Does it have brakes on both axles?

starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 10:59 AM (#39111 - in reply to #39085)

This is a message I got from a trailer place online:

If the axels that are on the trailer now look like they are in good condition then you do not need to change them.  I would not use the  set up that you have if they have not been used in 10 years.  If you do get rid of the setup that you have now, then you can have your choice of what brakes that you want, electric or hydraulics. 

starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 11:07 AM (#39114 - in reply to #39109)

Originally written by xyzer on 2006-03-20 11:49 AM

You can rebuild the hydro brakes....Actualy they work well in normal braking conditions....They are alot safer than none. You would have to do some research and find out what master cylinder,brake cylinders they used and get rebuilt ones. A good brake shop or parts store might be able to tell you what the replacements are off of. It is possible... Some give you a problem if you try and back up a hill or over a bump it applies the brakes....No brakes in reverse... Some have a pin you can put in the accutator to deactivate them for backing. You can look at both angles....Does it have brakes on both axles?

I assume its only on the one axle, the rear one. In the process of working on the floor these was a brake line (just one) that went down the center and split to both sides of the rear axle. The line actually snapped right off when we moved it, from being so old I guess.

When we pull the wheels off to do the bearings (sometime this week) my husband will take a good look around down there and see whats what.

Thanks! 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)