'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need pointers for buying trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-30 7:37 AM
5 replies, 3001 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GAIL T
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-24 8:02 AM (#39432)
Subject: Need pointers for buying trailer

New User

I am looking at two used trailers today and have no clue what to look for. I am needing a two horse bumper pull that my ford f150 can pull.Can someone tell me what I should watch out for when I go inspect these trailers such as what is better stock or enclosed, where is rust really bad and is aluminum better then steel and is a 1983 two horse enclosed worth $1750. And what else is important. .... Thank you in advance.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-24 8:13 AM (#39434 - in reply to #39432)
Subject: RE: Need pointers for buying trailer

Elite Veteran

Gail T, welcome to this little corner of the world. First, trailer shopping is subjective. Second, if you go up to that little search icon and punch something like "want new trailer", "buying a new trailer" you'll come up with dozens of threads that will answer you question. Or, if you want to be completely happy with horses, SELL THEM, everything that has to do with them, and spend the money on something that doesn't eat every penny you make, yet craps it back out for you to clean up. Ok, maybe I'm having a bad morning, sorry.
GAIL T
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-24 9:01 AM (#39438 - in reply to #39432)

New User

Wow you sound like you have issues maybe you should sell your horses for their sake and get a pet rock. Enjoy your day.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-24 10:50 AM (#39447 - in reply to #39432)

Extreme Veteran

I would look at the floor to make sure the lumber is in good shape.  I would look under the floor to see if the frame is still in good shape as well.  With a trailer that age, it is the rust you don't see at first that will be an issue to you.  I would climb under it and inspect it before I made any decisions.   Your price sounds a little high for what they are bringing down here.  Of course it all depends on the age of the floor, tires, and how good the paint job is on it.  One last thing is to make sure all the lights and signals work as well.  Sometimes, it can be a pain to rewire a trailer if the wires are starting to corrode.  Unless you can do the task yourself, this will be an added cost to the trailer as well.
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-24 7:07 PM (#39476 - in reply to #39432)

Veteran

that old of a trailer will still have the leaf spring set up on the axles.  You need to pay close attention to the equilizer and shackle links.  The nylon bushings will wear out fairly quickly, but if the steel itself is nearly worn through...look out a big problem waiting to happen!!  And don't have any doubts that it will happen with a fully loaded trailer as far from home as possible, in the dark, on the coldest night of the year, just when your cell phone battery died and you forgot your charger, and.....  well, you get the idea.May want to ask about any brake work, if nothing has ever been done to them they will probabaly need some attn., and that can get a bit pricey.
GAIL T
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-30 7:37 AM (#39766 - in reply to #39476)

New User

Thank you for the pointers, I think I will keep looking for a newer model. Around here good used 2 horse trailers are scarce but I will just be patient.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)