'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
All Aluminum vs. Aluminum over Steel

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-22 10:30 AM
27 replies, 7059 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-21 8:33 AM (#37608 - in reply to #37597)
Subject: RE: All Aluminum vs. Aluminum over Steel

Expert

Originally written by efaubert1 on 2006-02-21 6:19 AM

Reg, I agree with you, that brand we can not bash here does that, as do many others. I often wonder if they don't understand the laws of the materials they build with. That being said, the galvanic corrosion factor has less to do with trailers rusting than general care for your equipment. I have an aluminum skinned steel framed that is 7 years old with galvaneal steel. The only rust is really on the main frame underneathe, and there is no aluminum there. Just roadware and salt from winter. And its surface rust that if I'm lucky i'll get to sand blast off and primer this spring.

In finish carpentry it is said that 4 inch trim is used to cover 3 1/2 inch gaps (or mistakes).
Nobody back primes, paints or stains what the customer won't ever see.
Personally I really DON'T understand why stud walls have to be built with planed lumber, not that 2x4 or 2x6 (1 1/2 x 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 x 5 1/2) are cabinet quality lumber anyway.

I think we're discussing something similar here.
For expediency, material inside a closed cavity will not be "finished" or corrosion protected. The customer will probably never see it, at least not during the warranty period. {manufacturing economics 101}
(-:
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Concrete
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-21 5:26 PM (#37644 - in reply to #37608)

Originally written by Reg on 2006-02-21 8:33 AM

Originally written by efaubert1 on 2006-02-21 6:19 AM Reg, I agree with you, that brand we can not bash here does that, as do many others. I often wonder if they don't understand the laws of the materials they build with. That being said, the galvanic corrosion factor has less to do with trailers rusting than general care for your equipment. I have an aluminum skinned steel framed that is 7 years old with galvaneal steel. The only rust is really on the main frame underneathe, and there is no aluminum there. Just roadware and salt from winter. And its surface rust that if I'm lucky i'll get to sand blast off and primer this spring.
In finish carpentry it is said that 4 inch trim is used to cover 3 1/2 inch gaps (or mistakes). Nobody back primes, paints or stains what the customer won't ever see. Personally I really DON'T understand why stud walls have to be built with planed lumber, not that 2x4 or 2x6 (1 1/2 x 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 x 5 1/2) are cabinet quality lumber anyway. I think we're discussing something similar here. For expediency, material inside a closed cavity will not be "finished" or corrosion protected. The customer will probably never see it, at least not during the warranty period. {manufacturing economics 101} (-:

2x4's are rough planed so they are all the same size. So the drywall will lay flat.

I don't know about all trail mfgs, but I did go through the American Spirit factory. The seem to do a real nice job of (powder coating) all steel before putting the Alu. skin on. The skin doesn't come in contact with steel frame. Looks like it would last a long time with proper care.

Any (and I mean any)  manufactur or business who doesn't care about his customers or products can't last. If they don't care, then they might as well put a gun to their head.  They will not last for long.{manufacturing economics 101}

Oakley
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-22 10:30 AM (#37674 - in reply to #37217)

Aluminum vs. Steel, a question that has been asked quite often. I know I am probably getting in on the end of this but the main reasons that people want to choose aluminum over steel frame is weight and the rusting factor. If you look at the trailer weights between the two you will only about 300 to 400 pounds difference in comparable trailers. As for the rusting factor, like the previous individual stated before me. Make sure the frame is powder coated and you can't go wrong. Steel is Stronger than aluminum that is why aluminum frame trailers will have more cross member supports than a steel frame trailer.

Edited by Oakley 2006-02-22 10:32 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)