'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck bed lower than gooseneck receiver -- Rookie question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-10-25 10:13 AM
1 replies, 3564 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Allkian
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-25 9:40 AM (#138508)
Subject: Truck bed lower than gooseneck receiver -- Rookie question

New User

I have a 3h GN trailer and a Silverado 2500HD Duramax. We just got a pop-up GN hitch installed on the truck, but when we tried to hook up, I noticed that the truck bed is about 1" (if that) shorter than our gooseneck receiver (?) Again, not sure how to describe it but when we're dropping the trailer on the ball, it isn't sitting snuggly and dropping down properly. The gooseneck receiver (?) on the trailer needs to be lowered. I didn't want to strip the bolts and am going to have my neighbor (a trailer repairman) take a look but was wondering how exactly to describe this to him. It might be an easy fix, but I didn't want to get messing with it and make matters worse. We pulled it with an older Chevy flatbed and it was perfect height, so knowing how to raise or lower the gooseneck 'receiver' might be beneficial. I wasn't sure how to search for this, so if its a repeat question, I apologize. I'm not exactly trailer savvy so any information would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-10-25 10:13 AM (#138511 - in reply to #138508)
Subject: RE: Truck bed lower than gooseneck receiver -- Rookie question

Extreme Veteran

Your trailer probably either has one or two "set screws" or bolts with lock nuts on them.  If it is the older style coupler, this is probably all that holds the coupler from traveling up and down (vertically).  Simply loosen the lock nuts first, than put your wrench on the head of the bolt and loosen them next.  If your hitch has been in this same position for a long time, it may be stuck, and require a smack with a hammer to break it loose.  When you get the coupler to the disired position, retighten the set screws and lock nuts.

If your coupler is the newer stye with a steel pin thru holes in both the coupler and the sleeve that it fits into; chances are it will have only one "set screw" to loosen like the old style coupler.  Simply loosen the set screw, and than take the safety clip from the steel pin, remove the pin, and slide the coupler to the next hole setting to change the height of the coupler.  Re-nsert the pin and clip, and than retighten the set screw and lock nut in it's new position.  That should do it.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)