'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Battery acid on trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-22 2:48 PM
5 replies, 2658 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-20 8:02 PM (#40757)
Subject: Battery acid on trailer

Extreme Veteran

Hi, I am new to this site, it is great, very addictive.
Anyway, problem is I bought a used trailer with bad batteries and they boiled over when I hooked it up to electricity and the acid ran down the front of the trailer. Any suggestions on how to clean it up? Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-20 10:35 PM (#40762 - in reply to #40757)
Subject: RE: Battery acid on trailer

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by longearsrule on 2006-04-20 8:02 PM

Anyway, problem is I bought a used trailer with bad batteries and they boiled over when I hooked it up to electricity and the acid ran down the front of the trailer. Any suggestions on how to clean it up? Thanks!

Wet down the area and sprinkle baking soda on it. It will nuetralize the acid.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-21 8:29 PM (#40808 - in reply to #40757)

Expert

Originally written by longearsrule on 2006-04-20 9:02 PM

Hi and welcome.
I doubt that the batteries "boiled".
It is more likely that they were topped up before charging and overflowed.
It is a common mistake to fill a flat battery and then charge it.

Anyway, hose it off well and you should be all done.
Baking soda if it makes you feel better about neutralising the acid, but it isn't necessary if you hose it off well.
paintthatain't
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-21 10:07 PM (#40811 - in reply to #40757)

Regular

Water will only was the acid off it won't stop the chemical reaction that has already started. One of the best ways to treat battery spills is to make a paste of bakingsoda and water. Just smear it on and let it sit a while. Then flush the area well with clean water. If it's on a painted surface it may need a quick poof can job immediatly to keep it from rusting.

Just my .02,   CS 

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-21 11:06 PM (#40812 - in reply to #40811)

Extreme Veteran

I did the baking soda thing, twice. It is on aluminum, can it be buffed out someway also?
Don't know if they were over filled or what, I didn't do anything to them except to plug the trailer in to charge them up. Sure messed up a nice trailer. New batteries are doing fine. Thanks for the input.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-22 2:48 PM (#40822 - in reply to #40812)

Expert

Originally written by longearsrule on 2006-04-21 12:06 AM

I did the baking soda thing, twice. It is on aluminum, can it be buffed out someway also?
Don't know if they were over filled or what, I didn't do anything to them except to plug the trailer in to charge them up. Sure messed up a nice trailer. New batteries are doing fine. Thanks for the input.

In the hour or more that it took you to post here, get a response and execute it - the acid was essentially GONE, i.e. the reaction had run it's course.
Spattering baking soda on the area initiated a new reaction (Alkali on Aluminum), so you probably now have more mess than if you had just hosed it off. I don't remember which salts of aluminum turn the surface black or white. For mere APPEARANCE you can probably do a fair/good job by brushing it out with a stainless steel wire brush or FINE stainless steel wire wool (and elbow grease). Stainless brushes are cheap at a local welding supply shop, they're probably one of the cheapest items there. AVOID regular steel brushes or "Brillo" pads.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)