'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hitch size?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-23 9:23 AM
9 replies, 4880 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mom2bbjandag
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-21 11:14 PM (#29459)
Subject: Hitch size?

New User

A friend just went tonight to buy a used trailer.  The ball in her truck is what she said is "standard", a 2-5/16".  The gooseneck trailer, a 91 Sooner, wouldn't fit.  She said it's as though the ball is too big?  It's too late to call Sooner tonight.  She was planning to change the ball, but now she's having second thoughts.  Otherwise, she really likes the trailer.  Is there typically a variation in hitch size, or has this one likely been modified?  And does it matter?

Thanks! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-22 7:38 AM (#29465 - in reply to #29459)
Subject: RE: Hitch size?

Expert

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
Yes indeed, ball size matters. Absolutely DO NOT change to a smaller than 2-5/16 ball for any (modern) gooseneck trailer.
What I suspect is happening is that the trailer's coupler is not open. There are a few different coupler latch designs, it is POSSIBLE that your friend is used to an automatic type - it is also possible that the locking pin is holding the coupler closed. She may need the help of someone more familiar with THAT particular coupler.

Good Luck,
mom2bbjandag
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-22 7:56 AM (#29466 - in reply to #29459)

New User

Thank you for your quick response.  She was up all night worrying over this.  She had paid for the trailer by check and received the title, but couldn't haul it home.  She said this a.m. the coupler was definitely open.  The man had been pulling it with the smaller ball.  My husband had also warned last night against pulling with a smaller ball - he pulls utility trailers and isn't familier with horse trailers, but he is familiar with the weight issue.  My friend has pulled quite a bit but has in the past had someone else help... she's doing this on her own now. 

She has decided to put a stop payment on the check, contact the man this a.m. with an explanation, and send the title back overnight/signature required to the man.  She feels bad about doing that, but she also feels she didn't purchase the quality trailer she thought she had, and with safety issues involved, it's worth the trouble.

Thank you again for your help.  This board is great!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-22 8:27 AM (#29470 - in reply to #29466)

Expert

From what you have now told us I think your friend will need a new coupler on that trailer. The small ball has almost certainly deformed the coupler and weakened it, couplers can be replaced for very little money.

The issue is not one of weight bearing capacity, it is the fact that a 2-5/16 coupler will go around a 2 inch ball, but won't HOLD ONTO it if there is a bump that takes the pin load off the truck. This may be rare, the previous owner might have been in blissful ignorance of the danger. I made the small ball mistake exactly ONCE on a car hauling trailer, fortunately the only bad thing that happened was that the trailer came uncoupled and tipped as the car was being unloaded. Not a lot of FUN at the time.
Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-22 10:56 AM (#29474 - in reply to #29459)

If the ball is truly a 2" ball on this gooseneck trailer, then it has almost certainly been altered. I don't believe that there is a supplier that even offers a 2" GN coupler - or at least I've never seen one. 

If the coupler is still adjustable, your friend could purchase a 2 5/16" coupler and simply slide it up in place of the smaller one.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-22 2:02 PM (#29482 - in reply to #29459)

Expert

TN ?
I don't know what your local climate is, but after 14 or so years that coupler could be rusted pretty damned tight into the top tube, at least the lock bolts are probably rusted in.
I'd douse them with penetrating oil and come back the next day, then undo the lock nuts FIRST and see if the bolts will back out. If you can loosen one of them snug it up again before loosening the other one - failure to do so could lead to a serious OUCH of the foot (-:
BJB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-22 8:35 PM (#29500 - in reply to #29459)

Please be advised the Sooner Trailer has always used a 2 5/16 ball for every gooseneck. My question is what kind of ball do you have in your truck. Most 2 5/16 ball are machined balls. There is a casting ball. The ball looks rough and usually has two ridges on the outside going up and down on the ball. I have found this ball appears to be slightly larger and will not fit the coupler. Changing your truck ball to a machined ball should solve this problem. Hope this advise will help.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-23 9:13 AM (#29516 - in reply to #29500)

Expert

Originally written by BJB on 2005-08-22 8:35 PM

Please be advised the Sooner Trailer has always used a 2 5/16 ball for every gooseneck. My question is what kind of ball do you have in your truck. Most 2 5/16 ball are machined balls. There is a casting ball. The ball looks rough and usually has two ridges on the outside going up and down on the ball. I have found this ball appears to be slightly larger and will not fit the coupler. Changing your truck ball to a machined ball should solve this problem. Hope this advise will help.

I would avoid the cast ball ANYWAY !
In this case it appears that the previous owner was using a 2 inch or so ball. It probably worked, the trailer probably jerked around a lot, fortunately they didn't hit bumps severe enough to take the coupler off the ball. I'd guess the inside of that coupler to now be trashed and in need of replacement, at a fairly low cost. It seems the friend of the OP has now backed out of the deal anyway.
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-23 9:22 AM (#29519 - in reply to #29459)

Veteran

Well here is my penny and a half i do not think a smaller ball

would change the coupler to not take the larger ball also as Mr trailer said i dont know of a smaller coupler made the friend said the hitch was open but if you are not over the ball it can close it and not go over the ball i would take off the coupler and try it on the ball not on the trailer?

good luck

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-23 9:23 AM (#29520 - in reply to #29459)

Expert

The coupler itself should be stamped with the ball size.   Look at it and make sure what size ball it requires. I would agree with all the above post that anything other than a 2 5/16 balls would be abnormal.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)