'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
new trailer search

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-24 12:39 PM
6 replies, 3918 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-22 9:54 PM (#29502)
Subject: new trailer search

Hi! I have been riding for about 1 yr and am now looking to buy a used horse trailer.  Specifically, I want an aluminum 3 horse goose neck slant. (I have an F250 powerstroke diesel to pull it) LQ optional.  What questions should I be asking? What price range should I expect?  Dealer vs individual?  What are "must haves"?  thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-23 9:10 AM (#29515 - in reply to #29502)
Subject: RE: new trailer search

Expert

You don't say your budget. New or used.

New 3 horse Aluminum GN will run $14000 to $20,000 depending on features. Used ones could easily be 1/2 of that depending on their age. New LQ start around $22,000 and go sky high.

Here are some things I'd look at, I'm sure others will add to the list.

Axle ratings, Two 5000lb axles will give you 10,000lbs, plus 20% on the truck bed or a total load of 12,000lbs. Most simple GN trailers will be around 5000lbs empty. Add 3-4 horse, water, hay, camping gear, saddles you up to 10,000lb pretty quick. These should probably have an "E" rated tire. Most 235/85/16 -E tires carry around 3000lbs each Four tires = 12,000lbs or about the same as the axles. I would go anything less than that.

Look at the horse dividers, Slam latches, and the interior of the trailer in general. I like Jail Bird uppers on my dividers, It allows more air circulations than solid dividers. I like padded dividers so my horses don't come out of the trailer with big grey aluminum smears on their hips. What type of windows does the trailer have. What hinges /latches do the windows have. Open and close a few windows and SEE if they are comfortable for you to open & close. Does the window fall ontop of you when you release the latch or can you even reach a high latch. Do the windows have a inner screen or jail bars to keep the horse from poking his head out if you open the windows while driving. Feed bags can be added later if not included.

Flooring- There are many thoughts on this. If you get a used trailer, make sure the floor is sound. I personally like the Rumber floor planks. Others prefer rubber floor matts.

Lighting - I want lots of lights on my trailer. In the stalls so I can load and unload at night. Outside so I can saddle and unsaddle, by the load doors and by the dressing room. I prefer flush mount lights that don't get tore off by trees when I go down Forest service roads.

I like a trailer that is already insulated. I sleep in mine all the time. The last two trailers I've bought have come standard with an insulated roof. So even the horse compartment doesn't bake in the hot sun. Previous trailer was fully insulated up front and then just had an outdoor carpet on all walls and floor to cover insulation.

I prefer a Mid Tack. I'm not a big fan of the rear tack.

Hay racks, Water tanks are all nice if you need them. I usually throw hay in the back of the truck, But I do like having a water tank on top of the trailer. I hate hauling buckets of water for horses.

Battery. I installed a battery on my first trailer. I wanted to use the lights with being hooked up to the truck. i.e loading camping gear in the trailer the night before I leave.

Tie rings out side to tie horses to while saddling. I also use the HiTie systems if I tie to the trailer for extended periods or over night.

Since I camp a lot with my trailer, I like an awning. None of my trailers have ever had a indoor kitchen. I cook outside on camp stove or coleman stove. It's nice to have some shade or cover from the rain so you can cook and eat a meal.

It depends what you plan on doing with the trailer. Just hauling to the local 4H meeting thrusday nights is different from weekend camping in the mountains like I do or attending a Competive Trail Ride or endurance ride.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-23 10:46 AM (#29522 - in reply to #29502)

Extreme Veteran

Trailers with pop-up roof vents above each horse in the roof. Creates better air circulation. Do you want a stock type GN or and enclosed trailer? I prefer an enclosed trailer over an open one. 1., to keep out the weather(prolonging the life of the inside of the trailer), 2.,bugs and 3. dust. The curb side windows with sliders and screens are what I have in my trailer.

A walk-thru door going from the dressing room/living quarters to the horse area is a plus feature. You can use that first stall as your so-called mid-tack or bathroom. I love having this in my trailer.

Dealer vs. local person? Depends on the situation and trailer and location. Buying from a dealer might be a plus for you as far as future service issues. Buying from someone you don't know, well you just never know what you are buying, although I would like to believe there are still many honest to goodness people out there.  

Good luck to you!

Edited by MIfarmbabe 2005-08-23 10:49 AM
pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-08-23 11:19 AM (#29527 - in reply to #29502)

Regular

milliecat, I can't emphasize enough having the horse part, especially roof, insulated. Things I would add to the previous list are: 1. Egress windows in the gooseneck, we don't like to think of fire, but it happens. My Star Lite came with big windows with a flip handle so I can get out QUICKLY! 2. I can't imagine doing without the walk-through door. It's just so handy and in nasty weather you can use the first stall as a mud room. During a severe thunderstorm one night camping, I was able to feed and check on my horse in the rear without having to go outside. 3. Drop-feed windows were mentioned..make sure they are good sized with stout hinges and secure holders for staying open going down the road. (I can barely reach the latch, but solved that with a folding step ladder that I store hanging on the bridle hooks in the first stall. A bungee secures it in transit.) 4. Roof vents help a lot with ventilation, too, as does a window in the back door. 5. Here's a plug for the 6 ft. refrig/freezer. I wasn't looking for that, but am SO glad my trailer came with it. Since I don't drink water from the trailer tank, I need the space for water as well as food and it has plenty of room. 6. An awning is great, but mine is almost too long. It's hard to put up alone and a shorter one would have been fine. My trailer is used and came with the full-length one. Keep a spare latch in stock! 7. I don't have one but, boy, do I need an electric jack. Plan to make sure you can still use the manual way if the electric one goes out or battery is dead! (Good advice from a friend to me, which I'll remember if I ever can afford one) There are things you can add to your trailer and you should probably budget for them, because you will never find the perfect trailer. We have changed the door holders to stronger metal ones, added dee-rings for securing cargo in the first stall, put snaps on the dividers so they can be secured open, added a water-caddy in the rear tack, and a door cadddy for all the grooming stuff. The list goes on. Oh, something we learned the hard way. Put one of those magnetic key boxes with an extra set of keys somewhere. Saves an argument and locksmith bill. I'm sure there will be other ideas. Good luck hunting. I looked on-line and on foot for 4 months and found a great trailer for the money. Hope you do, too!
milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-23 4:36 PM (#29535 - in reply to #29502)

Wow! Thanks so much for all the advice.  I am looking for a used trailer (hopefully!) under $10,000 to go to shows but also weekend camping.  I'll be patient to wait for the right trailer at the right price!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-23 4:44 PM (#29536 - in reply to #29502)

Expert

figure out what ou want and what you'll need.

I bought a Trails West 3 H GN- it had a dressing room, nothing special but at the time it was what I needed- a place to park the horses,tack and me. It was under 10K new. I had that two years and then went with a Exiss with weekender as my needs and wants changed. I bought from a dealer- it was handy since they could arrange financing and delivered the trailer ( out of state). But I wouldn't rule out a private seller either- you can get a good deal on a used trailer that way. You can stuck with problems from a dealer as easily from a private seller.

For me in a LQ, my "must haves were- cupboards-fridge-microwave ( or place to put one) and dinette. After that I was flexible. Turns out I got what I wanted. I set a budget under 20K and thats doable- older trailers can be a deal.

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-24 12:39 PM (#29568 - in reply to #29502)

Veteran

WOW. Where to begin. I just went through the "trailer buying" experience myself and it can be overwhelming. I would suggest going to dealers in your area or a big show with various vendors in attendance to research all the different types of trailers, manufacturers, features, construction, etc. Then, decide which features are a MUST for your horses and a MUST for you and also which features would be nice as "upgrades" if you can find a trailer with those. I also had a list of things I absolutely did not want and avoided even looking at anything with those features.....no matter how great a deal the trailer was. Remember that some of the things can be added by you, like padding on the dividers, extra tie rings on the inside or outside, etc. but some things need to come on the trailer (drop down windows for example). I also considered resale value for my trailer. Resale value differs greatly based on where you live so if you plan on upgrading in the next 5 years, you might consider what brands and features hold their value best in your area. For that same reason, you can sometimes get the trailer you want in a different state and the price difference makes it worth while to drive 300 miles to pick it up.

Good luck !!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)