'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Potty Question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-09 12:22 PM
10 replies, 4180 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 3:16 PM (#67469)
Subject: Potty Question

Veteran

Sorry to ask such a question, but I'm still considering do-it-myself LQ for my trailer (or at least trying to keep a pro's installation relatively cheap) and was wondering what folks know about portable toilets that are life-sized but feature a removable tank that can be dumped at home or at rest stops, etc.

Not sure I want to deal with having to hook up at only a few places that can accept RV waste, and not sure I want to deal with having to winterize a septic system.  Also had about 10 trailers lose their under-trailer tanks at a race last year when the dirt road bottomed their trailer out.  $1200 a pop for most of those folks to fix the trailer, and ride managment didn't step up to help them pay the bill.

At the same time, I prefer a toilet that is bigger than a Coleman porta-potty and that keeps odors to a minimum.

Suggestions as to whether this option would be truly worse than a normal RV toilet with tanks?  Can anyone suggest a make/model I should consider?

Also, is there any problem with just running shower water to ground?  We can use natural/biodegradeable soap, shampoo, etc. when traveling so I don't foresee any sort of issues with this considering we will only be using the shower when at endurance races.  Stop at truck stops for showering when transporting across country.

I know about cowboy showers... not talking about that--just want to drain a normal shower to ground.

Thanks again,

Mike

Edited by racesarabhorses 2007-09-08 3:23 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-08 3:39 PM (#67471 - in reply to #67469)
Subject: RE: Potty Question

Expert

They make a self contained toilet that incinerates the waste to fine ash, that might be a possibility?
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 4:27 PM (#67474 - in reply to #67471)

Veteran

Heheheheh.  For the $2600 price tag, I might just have to go hide behind a tree!
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-08 6:28 PM (#67478 - in reply to #67469)

Veteran

Mike, Don't be sorry.  Its a necessity for everyone.

I run with a porta potty.  I feel that it has a lot of advantages.  It can be dumped in any toilet.  I have been traveling and stoped at a road side rest area and carried the tank into the men's room and dumped it.  Ready to go again.  I keep chemicals in the tank so oders are not a problem.  In the winter, I carry it into the basement.

I purchased the cheap porta potty from wally world, and if I had to do it over again I would upgrade to a slightly larger unit that sets the same height as a standard toilet.  They also have an automatic flush unit.

Another advantage is that when I travel I can move the unit against the back wall of the "Potty Room" and use the floor space for other storage. I have equiped the room with an exhaust fan and it's own light for the user's comfort.

Turfa

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 7:23 PM (#67479 - in reply to #67469)

Veteran

Thanks, Turfa.  I envision a porta potty large enough for 3 people... the Coleman I have currently is not suitable for more than one person over a weekend.  Well, MAYBE, but it would be close.

This would be fixed in a separate bathroom with a shower, a-la normal LQ trailers.

Mike

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-08 7:43 PM (#67480 - in reply to #67469)

Veteran

look in camping world.. they have a website they have many choices including the higher larger model we used this before we got the lq trailer with bathroom. it worked well... happy riding

coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-09-08 8:34 PM (#67483 - in reply to #67469)

Regular

Camping World does have a LARGE porta potty. The problem with LQ holding tanks is that your poop and paper fall into one place! So over a weekend the toilet backs up since the waste does not travel into the edges of the holding tank.............Now once you get moving, the prob is solved once everything is sloshed around. So I would agree that the porta potty is a sensible alternative. We love our porta potty on our boat- easy to clean, transport and refill with chemicals and water to use for flushing. I would check to see if you are allowed to have shower water go directly to the ground. I have witnessed one fight at a horse show where shower water ran off into a public parking lot and WOW what a problem ensued!! The show grounds stated to the violaters that dumping gray water is against some code or something...........I just observed from the sidelines. So please check out restrictions on this matter before you spend the money and not have a holding tank for the gray water! Best of Luck to ya!!!
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 10:01 AM (#67498 - in reply to #67469)

Elite Veteran

We have porta-pots in our boat, and our two horse bumper pull "day trailer... I found an oversize porta-pot that I love! it is a Fiamma?? you can find it on JC Whitney's website under RV stuff... I think we paid about $60-70. for it and it is great and easy to empty and clean... face it, when you have a day ride with a bunch of women, you need a nice place in the dressing room to go...
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-09 10:50 AM (#67501 - in reply to #67469)

Veteran

I have a portapotty and it was the best decision. Easy to dump in any toilet and has no odor. I bought it at JC Penney's.The Fiamma model with the bigger holding tank looks like the answer to your problem. Priced good. You could probably order an extra tank! 
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-09-09 11:22 AM (#67505 - in reply to #67469)

Elite Veteran

I have a diy LQ and I use a porta potty. It's easier to deal with. Not sure of the brand I have but it has a neck on the dump tank which makes it a little more bearable to empty them...
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-09 12:22 PM (#67507 - in reply to #67469)

Extreme Veteran

So here is another problem on the same line... A couple weeks ago I posted that I have messed up the plumbing on my LQ by dropping the wheel off in a small ditch. Yesterday, I finally got up the nerve to jack up the trailer and have a look at the damage. It was worse than I thought. The dump valve plumbing had been pushed sideways, pulling it from the holding tank and cracking the actual tank. I looked up similar tanks...24 x 48 x 7...and although didn't find one that exact size, the similar ones are running around $200. That doesn't include replacing the broken pipes and possibly the dump valves. Has anyone ever done this themselves? Do I have to remove the toilet to replace the holding tank? Can the holding tank be repaired, or should I just take the thing to a pro?

Edited by Linda Y 2007-09-09 12:24 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)