'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
transporting /hauling my new trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-15 11:30 AM
14 replies, 4542 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Einhorn
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-12 5:36 PM (#27977)
Subject: transporting /hauling my new trailer

New User

Hi. I am looking to get my new 2-horse bumper pull trailer from the mfr. in Arkansas delivered to me in Oregon. Anyone interested in hauling or transporting it, or know someone who might be interested? I am hoping it will be ready by July 22nd, but a part is on back order so I am relying on when the mfr. thinks it will be ready.

Edited by Einhorn 2005-07-12 5:41 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-13 7:19 AM (#27990 - in reply to #27977)
Subject: RE: transporting /hauling my new trailer

Veteran

I hope you factored in the "delivery" charge when considering a trailer purchased so far away. It is about 2,400 miles from Newport AR (or about the same from the other AR mfgs) to Hood River. In April, I looked at having some southern OK dealers deliver to KC and they wanted $1 per loaded mile. Where I work we get paid 40.5 cents per mile for use of personal vehicles. Anyway you look at it, I would expect that unless you are fortunate to find someone making that trip you are going to have to pay $2,000. At fuel prices ($2.20) alone, getting 15 mpg in a truck pulling a trailer over the Rockies, you are looking at over $700.

That is a lot to add for a 2 horse trailer.

PS. You might consider making the trip yourself to make sure the trailer you pick up is what you ordered. Once you get 2,000 miles away you will lose any ability to fix major defects.

Edited by barry 2005-07-13 7:51 AM
Einhorn
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-13 11:18 AM (#27999 - in reply to #27990)

New User

For the record, we went with an Arkansas mfr. because they were one of a very few makers who makes a 2-horse straight load trailer the size we wanted, and because we had been offered a very good price by the dealer. Unfortunately, the dealer flaked out on us, and the mfr., so the mfr. agreed to sell it to us at the originally bargained price, but that left us without transport. Even with the cost of transport, it will still be a reasonable deal, but now I need to find a hauler.
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-13 11:58 AM (#28000 - in reply to #27977)

Veteran

hello

have you tried the companys that are on theis site?

good luck

Einhorn
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-13 12:30 PM (#28001 - in reply to #28000)

New User

I have contacted the companies listed. However, there are only 3. It would be great if I could find someone who might be planning on a trip from the southeast to the west coast anyway, and is looking for a job to reduce costs, that might be a bit less expensive for me.
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-13 12:38 PM (#28004 - in reply to #27977)

Veteran

yes

that would be great but you may have to wait for months to find that deal a friend of mine bought a truck from your way on ebay and was a long wait just to find someone with a little room on a flatbed comming his way

good luck

verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-13 12:57 PM (#28006 - in reply to #27977)

Regular

I bought my first Brenderup in 1999 in VA, I live in California. I could not find anyone that would tow it for me due to liability. I couldn't even pay someone that was driving out this way. I finally got it here, 8 month later. By the time I got it here, my horse passed away. I ended up selling the trailer for more than I paid for it, including hauling fees and bought a new 2002 Brenderup. I was originally quoted $4,500.00 to get it from VA to CA. I ended up paying $1,500.00 to a hauler that hauled other trailers. The trailer waited at various location for a haul with a short load. It sat in Texas for two months waiting for a short load to come this way. Then I have to drive to Southern California from Northern California to pick it up.
Einhorn
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-13 1:46 PM (#28012 - in reply to #27977)

New User

I want to find a good deal, but I'm not THAT patient.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-13 3:52 PM (#28016 - in reply to #27977)

Veteran

The liability issue is a large one. I know my insurance will not let me haul for hire. Even if I fudged, what would it gain me if I had a wreck and had to file under my insurance. No matter what someone might say such as "we won't hold you liable if something happens" that does not protect me from someone suing me for neglience or careless driving. I would have to cautious about letting a stranger pick up a trailer for me, sign the paperwork, and then drive off. What if they never showed up?

Just my paranoia ramblings.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-13 5:01 PM (#28019 - in reply to #27977)

Expert

A bumper pull trailer CAN be towed behind a GN trailer. A rear door is removed from the GN and a hitch bolted in. Or, a hitch can be installed under the back of the GN. (My GN towed a BP from down south to Michigan.) and appropriate wiring installed. This way, 2 trailers can be towed for a combined price.

Contact trailer manufacturers in the area where you bought your trailer from. Find out who they use. It DOESN'T have to be a horse trailer mfg.

Or - look around on RV websites. A large RV (I couldn't tell you what class - others here may know that) can tow up to a certain weight. You might find someone who could do it for you.

Look for someone MOVING.. they could transport their possessions in your trailer. I would avoid college students - they may not have the correct tow vehicle or liability coverage, etc.

So far as the 40.5 cents per mile that the IRS allows for personal use of a vehicle for work-related travel. A person towing a trailer needs to be compensated for their time; whereas a person using their car for work-related travel is already PAID for their time as an employee.

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-14 7:15 AM (#28046 - in reply to #28019)

Veteran

Originally written by gabz on 2005-07-13 5:01 PM

So far as the 40.5 cents per mile that the IRS allows for personal use of a vehicle for work-related travel. A person towing a trailer needs to be compensated for their time; whereas a person using their car for work-related travel is already PAID for their time as an employee. 

Gabz, you are correct about the compensation.  I was just trying to show what the minimums would be and probably should have been more blunt in this trip could end up costing who knows what and taking who knows how long. The 40.5 cents is what is allowed for fuel/wear/tear on your vehicle.  Also, in the $1 per loaded mile the dealer was going to charge is still cheaper than the poster can get because the dealer had a vested interest because they were going to profit from the sale.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-15 8:42 AM (#28102 - in reply to #27977)

Expert

Oh, I would do THAT for you.
Of course, I couldn't be PAID, only perfushnals can accept money.
I would have to drive from Massachusetts to AK to pick it up, then out to OR to drop it off, then back to Mass. Maybe a week or 10 days ?

Perhaps a suitable (SIZEABLE) donation to a charity of my choice ?

Re Truck, Goosie, B/P train: I've seen it done in PA, I suspect it might not be legal in all States. It DID look weird and I wouldn't want to have to back it up around an S bend. I didn't get very close, but they looked like Exxis or F'lite.
Now THAT would be an interesting rig to discuss the various GVxx ratings of (-:

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-07-15 9:09 AM (#28106 - in reply to #28019)

Elite Veteran

We don't see that much out West, I think its legal in Oregon if you are a commercial hauler (over the road trucks) and Montana, but pretty sure its not legal in Idaho or Washington. Not sure about the other Western states.

Originally written by gabz on 2005-07-13 3:01 PM

A bumper pull trailer CAN be towed behind a GN trailer. A rear door is removed from the GN and a hitch bolted in. Or, a hitch can be installed under the back of the GN. (

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-15 10:11 AM (#28110 - in reply to #27977)

Veteran

Here in KS/MO you see that a lot with new trailer deliveries. I saw two Pondorosa's yesterday in tandem and two ProStocks being delivered.

I have seen them mount a piece of flat strap steel over the wood floors, sticking out past the rear doors with a ball hooked to a BP in back. I've seen GNs towing a little dolly thing with another GN hooked. Mostly BP steel trailers.

I suppose you don't have to have too much of a hitch system for the 2nd trailer to tow empty weight of 2-3,000 pounds for a low end steel trailer.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-15 11:30 AM (#28113 - in reply to #28102)

Expert

Well Reg... it must be legal in every state from Kansas to Michigan because that's how they get from the Titan plant to the dealerships here.

AND... it's how they are transported to horse expos, conventions, etc. EMPTY of course, except for sales material, banners, etc. 

It would be darned expensive to haul 5 or more trailers, individually, to things like Equine Affair, QH Congress, etc., etc. whether it was from a dealership or a mfg plant. 

Here in Michigan, gravel trains (a gazillion axles and wheels) run over every state and county road. These are either 2 dump trailers hauled by a semi or a monster dump truck (3 or more rear axles) hauling a dump trailer (4 or more axles).  That's probably why the roads here are the worst on the continent despite the constant construction.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)