'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Roof coating advice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2024-09-29 10:18 PM
0 replies, 154 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gusgirl
Reg. Sep 2024
Posted 2024-09-29 10:18 PM (#185813)
Subject: Roof coating advice

New User

Need some guidance! 2 years ago I successfully sealed the roof of my steel horse t. Sanded down to bare metal. I used Ultra Bond with Steel-Loc tape on the seams and used some basic primer, bullseye I think, for entire roof. Then used Sealsbest elastomeric. Only used half of the 5gal. Looked awesome and no leaks since. And then immediately ran under a low limb and it ripped part of the tape at the front seam. Still no leaks, but that and the fact I couldn’t get a straight line to save my life has been driving me crazy. So recently decided to re-coat and tape the seams again. Fixing one taped seam and hoping to get the tape laid straight. I figured it would be fine to use the same 4” tape and put it down over the original. I cleaned the roof completely. Power washed and bleach solution. Store was out of the white seam tape. I had cleaned the roof already and planned this weekend to do this. Clear weather. So store clerk recommended using the 6” EPDM tape instead. I laid the 6” over the other with no problem. I put one coat down of the elastomeric and was going to go back the next day and put additional coats down. It was over 100 that day. I found several spots peeling. On the epdm tape as well as spots on the rest of the trailer. I’ve seen online that if it’s that hot it can dry too quickly and can peel. I’ve seen it stated that the elastomeric will not bond well with the epdm tape. And vice versa that it will. Roof was completely clean and dry when I started. And used NO primer. Didn’t think I needed to. What have I done wrong and how can I fix it so that it bonds and there is no peeling?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)