'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2H straight Load Gooseneck - Brands?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-01-10 7:30 AM
6 replies, 4044 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SCF01
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2015-01-02 1:16 PM (#162217)
Subject: 2H straight Load Gooseneck - Brands?

I'd like to get a 2H straight load GN with dressing room Warmblood size. I'm told that 4Star is top of the line but this trailer in 4Star is around 25k. Obviously I want something that will last and is well built and safe but 25k seems pricey.Are there other brands I should look at? Exiss? Featherlite? Eby? Sundowner (I've heard bad things about SD in the past)Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2015-01-03 5:30 AM (#162221 - in reply to #162217)
Subject: RE: 2H straight Load Gooseneck - Brands?

Expert

In the current market just about every brand makes a 2H SL XXL model. You will need to find what brands are serviced by your local repair shops. It never fails that something goes wrong just before your long haul/big show and must be fixed ASAP. Every brand has slight differences and then more variations in each level/line/price point inside that brand. Make a list of what your wants/needs/deal breakers are and shop accordingly. One of my deal breakers is the ramp, if I can't operate it with one hand then it won't work. Sometimes you just have to hold the horse in one hand and get the trailer opened with the other. I personally would want a WHITE interior and I'd want mats that I could drag out without help for cleaning. While shopping you need to see/touch as many trailers as possible to remind you what works for you. In an XXL trailer can you reach the roof vents? Are the butt/breast bars able to be released if your horse climbs out over them, or sits on the butt bar? Will you have enough ventilation for the summer months? My biggest beef with all straight loads are the lack of vents. Make sure you get tie rings on the front wall to tie your hay bag. I like having them near the center front wall so that they are not flopping out of the escape doors when I'm shutting the trailer up. When it comes down to it, pick a brand that you like and can have repaired as locally as possible...it will make life much easier! Good luck and take your time!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2015-01-03 8:58 PM (#162228 - in reply to #162217)

Expert

I have an eby but what the was said before is true what is in your area is what is best to buy
SCF01
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2015-01-04 8:12 AM (#162232 - in reply to #162217)

There are no dealers convenient to me. Central Iowa. Minnesota has a few that sell Featherlite and 4star.
jmey1820
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2015-01-04 10:52 AM (#162233 - in reply to #162217)

Regular

I had a sundowner straight load for ten years that i absolutely loved. It was one of the problem ones but from what i understand yhe problems have been rectified. When i was looking to replace it last summer my choice came down to a hawk or a 4star. The 4 star proved to be out of my price range so i was going with the hawk until I came across a very lightly used merhow that suited my needs. The merhow is also very well built. Had friends with a featherlite and the welds on the frame failed in a few different places.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2015-01-06 5:18 AM (#162244 - in reply to #162217)

Expert

No dealers close isn't a big deal, but do you have a welding shop around that will weld Aluminum? If the answer is no then buying a trailer made out of material that no one will repair isn't a good move. Every trailer needs some repairs. If you don't have anything close you might try calling around the East coast. You'd be delighted to know how popular these types of trailers are there. Finding a new or even used one from Ohio east shouldn't be difficult at all. I've sent people from Texas over to Florida to buy trailers, best spring break ever! Just make sure that your local welding shops will be comfortable fixing the trailer you buy. Places that repair semi-trucks might have welders trained in Aluminum fabrication if you get in a bind.
trailers21
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2015-01-10 7:30 AM (#162258 - in reply to #162217)

I sent you a private message. Thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)