'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Powder coat frames Sundowner

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-05-27 7:19 PM
2 replies, 3439 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2014-05-27 2:19 PM (#159246)
Subject: Powder coat frames Sundowner

Regular

HiTrying to help a friend who is considering purchasing a 1996 2 horse slant load Sundowner. I have looked at the old threads and have found that she needs to check the vin to find out if it is all aluminum or not. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what years the power coating was used? Am I correct that powder coat was only a problem for the steel trailers or the steel frame aluminum skinned ones. Would 97 and newer be when they started using power coat?Thanks for your helpJoan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
trbomax
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-05-27 3:12 PM (#159247 - in reply to #159246)
Subject: RE: Powder coat frames Sundowner

Regular

I know you did not ask but my experiences with powder coat on trailer frames has alwas been bad.Ive had two,a Bri-Mar hydraulic tilt equipment trailer which is a GREAT unit,but the powder coated frame didnt last 3 yrs before it started peeling and falling off. It only takes one chip and the rust creeps like crazy under it.Part of the problem as I see it is that the powder is put over all the mill scale and welds w/o sand blasting first. My 3 yd hyd dump box was powder coat too,its 5 yrs old and looks 20,same deal.On the other had,my 16" Corn-Pro slant load is 5 yrs old and they wet paint with a zinc ritch primer and then Centari enamel w/ hardner. It looks like new, and I use it yr round sun or salt hauling the mules,lumber,equipment, you name it.Just an FYI.
diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-05-27 7:19 PM (#159248 - in reply to #159246)
Subject: RE: Powder coat frames Sundowner

Veteran

If you do a search with Sundowner in it, you will find the thread that clarifies which ones you don't want to mess with. There are some really good ones out there, you just want to make sure you are getting one. I don't think the problem went back that far, like maybe it started in 1999.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)