'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
American Spirit Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-11-18 9:04 PM
7 replies, 9792 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dragster5475
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-22 6:59 AM (#155466)
Subject: American Spirit Trailers

Can anyone tell me how the American Spirit trailers are? Looking for a 3 horse with LQ and have no idea which ones to stay away from.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2013-10-23 12:12 PM (#155496 - in reply to #155466)
Subject: RE: American Spirit Trailers

Extreme Veteran

American Spirts are no longer built.  They built steel framed aluminum skinned products that were very similar to the Bison trailers of that era.  The original owners were a couple of guys that previously worked for Bison.  I've never heard of many complaints about them.
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-26 2:53 PM (#155545 - in reply to #155466)

In my opinion, American Spirit Prestige trailers are quite nice. Now are called Hoosier Horse Trailers.Always check quality of cabinets- do doors shut solidly like kitchen cabinets like at home or do they bend/warp easily and not latch correctly? Have looked at Bison's- affordable but cheap to the touch. Most components such as axles, AC units, fridge, microwave etc can be serviced by anyone anywhere. It really depends how owners treated them. Any roof leaks? Soft floors? Bent gooseneck? Dented fenders? Scuffed rims? Look for repaired door hinges or places where screws used to be or screws/bolts aren't the same size like they would have been at the factory. Too bad the horse trailer world hasn't found a way to track mileage on trailers like one would with cars.I've liked the Prestige models- more cabinets etc. Plus they have nice swing out saddle racks in the back. Good idea like Bison. Plus rear tack is collapsible without having to remove a portion of the trailer rear door support or the saddle rack itself to make room for timid horses or if you want to use the trailer to haul a small tractor in the back or four-wheeler when you don't want to use it for horse events.Yes, been looking at Am Sp trailers ourselves. Hard to find. Like them and Adam but Adams don't have as nice a rear tack area so far as mentioned above.Aluminum over steel works fine. Everyone keeps complaining about the new aluminum trailers not being as good but who knows. Am new to the horse trailer world and seems there isn't much policing going on so far as standards of build quality- so far as a rating system taking into considerations such as spacing of supports, thickness of materials, grade of tensile strengths etc etc. But trailer manufacturers can't fix stupid....
dragster5475
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-27 9:26 PM (#155565 - in reply to #155466)

Thanks. I thought that I read somewhere that this company went out of business twice and that they were cheaply made. But then there can be a lemon with anything. I thought that the pics looked good and am considering going to look at it. Trying to figure out how to sell my 5th wheel camper, nice rig but can't haul horses..
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-27 11:05 PM (#155568 - in reply to #155466)

You're probably looking at one I've seen on the internet no doubt. We aren't quite ready to buy but keep our eyes open. Might have to drive a ways, too. There are some other posts/threads on this site concerning Am Sp trailers. We found a couple on craigslist, too. Although I've just recently registered, been reading a lot the past year on this site and others. Have a CDL and use this experience while doing searches and going to a couple of dealerships. It's also be a good idea to look at net/curb trailer weights in relationship to gvw. Have been surprised that a lot of the lq trailers often have small axles i.e. 5k # etc. If I were going to say buy a 3 horse w 8 or 10' lq I'd want at least 7k # axles, 10 or even 12 ply tires etc. Always here of people having blowouts or flats on trailers. No doubt from being overloaded and or underinflated. Having pulled tractors and hauling a lot of weight safely over the years, am surprised there haven't been more accidents. Trucks have come a long way in order to pull the weight but not much so far as training people in different handling characteristics. Scary at times. That's why some states are going with combined gvw's regarding trucks and trailers. Anyways, post what you end up with. Good luck.
dragster5475
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-30 9:27 PM (#155620 - in reply to #155466)

So confused....It seems like all the trailers I try to contact the people on are either scams or they are sold. So, still looking and getting more confused!! I have a 5th wheel camper that I am going to sell so that I can get a trailer with LQ...at this point I wish the 5th wheel would handle a BP and I would go that route!! :)
dragster5475
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-11-18 8:56 PM (#155854 - in reply to #155466)

Finally ended up with a 2006 Kiefer with slide out. Thanks to the really nice people at Featherlite Trailer Sales in Elko MN. Won't use it until May or June, but really excited to try it out!
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-11-18 9:04 PM (#155855 - in reply to #155466)

Sounds like you'll enjoy that one. Slides are nice. Does it have the canopy on the top of it. That keeps little tree limbs etc from getting caught when retracting.We haven't bought anything. Was at Quarter Horse Congress last month and still didn't see what we wanted unless you hit the lottery!Best wishes!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)