'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electric or hydraulic brake?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-06-14 1:17 AM
2 replies, 2995 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bruce Hammerson
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2013-06-13 4:32 AM (#152685)
Subject: Electric or hydraulic brake?

New User

I cannot make out the benefit of using electric brakes over hydraulic or air brakes. Could anyone please let me clear my understanding the concept behing the two brake technology?

Edited by Bruce Hammerson 2013-06-13 4:32 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2013-06-13 9:25 PM (#152725 - in reply to #152685)
Subject: RE: Electric or hydraulic brake?

Extreme Veteran

The research I've done shows you have more stopping power and less heat fade with hydraulic brakes vs electric. All brakes succumb to heat fade but as electric brakes heat up the temperature effects the magnets which is applying the braking force. Also if you were to go with hydraulic disc brakes, they are better at cooling and litigating brake fade because the disc has direct exposure to air.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-06-14 1:17 AM (#152732 - in reply to #152685)
Subject: RE: Electric or hydraulic brake?

Expert

A significant reason why air brakes are preferred in heavier trucks (above 26,000-lbs. GVWR), compared to hydraulic systems, is their robust stopping power when they work - and when they fail. For example, if there's a leak in the brake line of an hydraulic system, fluid pressure can lower to the point where there isn't sufficient force on the brake pads to create the friction needed to slow the wheel. Eventually, if the leak is not repaired, the truck can lose braking power in that portion of the system, reducing the ability to stop in the same distance. With air brakes, the opposite happens. If there is a leak in the air brake lines, the air pressure decreases, which actually activates the brakes at the wheels and brings the vehicle to a safe stop.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)