'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New Logan GN, starting work on LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-15 9:49 AM
2 replies, 2895 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Coolie Chick
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-05-15 1:28 AM (#151998)
Subject: New Logan GN, starting work on LQ

I finally got the trailer I've wanted for a long long time. A 24' long, 8' wide on the floor, with a side ramp for my carriage(s). The very first addition I made was an awning. No more cleaning harness in the rain or in the horse area of the trailer.

I wish I could have afforded the trailer with LQ installed, but, I think we can get the job done.  We have run into our first minor problem... how to attach the foam to the coated steel floor in both the gooseneck area and on the LQ floor.  What can we use to glue it down without melting the foam insulation, or, are we going to have to screw/bolt it down?  I am also wondering if it will really need to be attached as the cabinets will eventually hold it in place, but I hate to not do it and be sorry later on.

I have a tube of Loctite PL Fast Grab Premium adhesive which will work with the foam insulation. Has anyone used it to attach the foam to the coating Logan is using to coat the frame and decks?  I'm not worried about the foam, but am about the stuff adhereing to the coating. I tried using command strips for another task and they will not stick to it.

I can't wait to get started.  I have the foam, plywood, rug, and vinyl for both the floor area and the bed deck. Now I am getting anxious to get started.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2013-05-15 8:05 AM (#152000 - in reply to #151998)
Subject: RE: New Logan GN, starting work on LQ

Extreme Veteran

You can put your foam insulation on the floor and gooseneck and not worry about gluing it down. Just cut it snug. Your plywood will hold it in place. Be sure to put down a vapor barrier first. (plastic). Congratulation on your new trailer!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-05-15 9:49 AM (#152002 - in reply to #151998)
Subject: RE: New Logan GN, starting work on LQ

Expert

As was stated, you don't have to glue the foam into place on the flooring. I would however like to caution the practice of installing the flooring directly over the foam with no other supporting structure. It has been observed that in high traffic areas such as the door entry, the constant pressure on the foam can cause it to crush and compress.

Supporting the plywood flooring with sleepers and installing the foam between the supports, results in a permanent, insulated flooring. It is an ideal flooring system that will later support any covering material you wish to apply. On the walls, the foam is cut just slightly oversized and pushed into place between the studs. Often times, wooden studs are first added to the metallic trailer's structure to provide anchoring for the interior materials and accessories. Tape is used to secure the foam edges and seal the various spaces, which then acts as a vapor barrier until the final interior is added.

There are several different PL construction adhesives, and a couple are designed to be used with foam materials. The instruction details on the individual tubes will dictate which ones are applicable. If you use a metallic covered foam, most of them will work.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)