'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying first trailer- what do you think of 12' stock trailer for 1 horse?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-15 5:48 PM
6 replies, 4425 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

arary
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2013-05-12 11:56 AM (#151925)
Subject: Buying first trailer- what do you think of 12' stock trailer for 1 horse?

New User

Hi there. My little car is finally on it's last legs, and I'm going to have to replace it. I plan to buy a vehicle that can tow. I know I won't be able to afford a trailer right away, but I'd better have an idea of what type of trailer I plan to tow so that I make the right decision on what truck I need. I have a 15.2 hand mare. She trailers very well in a normal straight load, but she's the nervous type and VERY prone to ulcers from stress. I was thinking about getting a 12' gooseneck stock trailer, thinking they are economical, very inviting for the horse, and may reduce stress. A friend has a large stock trailer that makes 2 box stalls, one in front and one in rear, and her horses can travel loose in it. Her horses seem to love it. I don't want anything that large, but I like the idea of being able to have that box to work out of at clinics and shows. She had a bar welded across the escape door at waist height so she can go in and out of the box for grooming and tacking, and it works great. Don't have to worry about tying the horse to the outside of the trailer and the possibility of him getting loose. If the horse is the type to spin around during transport, she can tie the horse at a slant facing either front or rear, whatever the horse prefers. So, do you think a 12' stock would be a good choice for me? Could I go just a little bigger (maybe 14') and get a dressing room in front? Hate the rear dressing rooms. What about a slant with the open sides and just remove the slant dividers? Or I see some straight loads with ramps where you can remove the chest bars and divider to make an open box. Just wondering what you guys recommend. I would not haul a lot, but hopefully would be hauling to lessons/clinics a couple times a month. Could I pull this with a 150 truck safely? What brands do you recommend? Just a newbie looking for opinions. Thanks!

Edited by arary 2013-05-12 11:59 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-05-12 12:47 PM (#151927 - in reply to #151925)
Subject: RE: Buying first trailer- what do you think of 12' stock trailer for 1 horse?

Extreme Veteran

You say your horse is prone to ulcers? Stock trailers are very noisy. Haul her in one a few times and see how she is. Gooseneck or bumper pull? Your F150 should be fine with a small trailer.
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-05-12 6:51 PM (#151938 - in reply to #151925)
Subject: RE: Buying first trailer- what do you think of 12' stock trailer for 1 horse?

Veteran

You actually have two questions you are dealing with, the first is actually about the truck and what it can haul. Not all 150's are created equal. Make sure you check out how much the truck can haul before you buy. Some will haul as little as little over 5k, others can pull double that. Also make sure you are comparing the type of hauling you want to do. Pickups hauling a gooseneck can haul more than a pumper pull.
I agree that stock trailers are very noisy and breezy. Try your horse in one first. My wife's horse likes tighter more confined spaces than open areas, even when trail riding. The stock trailer may not make her very secure and cause her more stress.
Start with getting as much truck as you can afford. You will never be sorry for getting more truck than you think you will need. That will allow you to have more options on available trailers. You don't want to find that great buy on a trailer only to find out you bought too little truck to pull it. You can find some great deals on trailers but that doesn't do you any good if you can't pull it.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-05-12 10:36 PM (#151944 - in reply to #151925)

Expert

We had a SL stock/horse combo. It could be used either open or with slant stall dividers. With no rear tack and a one piece tail gate, any horse was easily loaded. We hauled a mare and foal loose from MI, and many horses in the stalls. With the dividers open, it moved farm equipment and many tons of house renovation materials. It was most practical and served us well.

We liked the slant load option for the horses. If we had other livestock, we probably would have bought the center divider option.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-05-13 7:59 AM (#151947 - in reply to #151925)

Expert

We used a 12' stock trailer for years to haul both cattle and horses. It had a center divider which we used to make a "dressing room" up front. it was ok for a while but soon after I up graded to a real horse trailer. There were various reasons but I wanted a GN rather than a BP and I wanted creature comforts..)
lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2013-05-13 2:05 PM (#151959 - in reply to #151925)

Regular

I have a 16 ft stock combo gooseneck with a center gate and a 4 ft dressing room, straight wall. Trailer pulls great, easy to manuever around, and to top it off...I hate it!. I bought it brand new last year, and my horses would refuse to get back in and the only thing I can come up with is the noise. It does rattle a lot. I'm sure it's not the smoothest riding trailer either. My trailer has the windows in the nose and door plus framed for AC. I just can't get motivated enough to fix it up for camping, would much rather have a horse trailer. But this is what I have and now have another horse that is used to riding in stock trailers and he loads up just fine. I have hauled three in it slanted, but normally just two
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-05-15 5:48 PM (#152012 - in reply to #151925)

Expert

Originally written by arary on 2013-05-12 11:56 AM

Hi there. My little car is finally on it's last legs, and I'm going to have to replace it. I plan to buy a vehicle that can tow. I know I won't be able to afford a trailer right away, but I'd better have an idea of what type of trailer I plan to tow so that I make the right decision on what truck I need. I have a 15.2 hand mare. She trailers very well in a normal straight load, but she's the nervous type and VERY prone to ulcers from stress. I was thinking about getting a 12' gooseneck stock trailer, thinking they are economical, very inviting for the horse, and may reduce stress. A friend has a large stock trailer that makes 2 box stalls, one in front and one in rear, and her horses can travel loose in it. Her horses seem to love it. I don't want anything that large, but I like the idea of being able to have that box to work out of at clinics and shows. She had a bar welded across the escape door at waist height so she can go in and out of the box for grooming and tacking, and it works great. Don't have to worry about tying the horse to the outside of the trailer and the possibility of him getting loose. If the horse is the type to spin around during transport, she can tie the horse at a slant facing either front or rear, whatever the horse prefers. So, do you think a 12' stock would be a good choice for me? Could I go just a little bigger (maybe 14') and get a dressing room in front? Hate the rear dressing rooms. What about a slant with the open sides and just remove the slant dividers? Or I see some straight loads with ramps where you can remove the chest bars and divider to make an open box. Just wondering what you guys recommend. I would not haul a lot, but hopefully would be hauling to lessons/clinics a couple times a month. Could I pull this with a 150 truck safely? What brands do you recommend? Just a newbie looking for opinions. Thanks!
In Virgina, get a bumper pull straight load...it will be easier to sell it at a later date...:)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)