'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
paint for an aluminum trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-11-24 9:36 AM
3 replies, 7033 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

whoop z day z
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-11-19 10:13 AM (#148435)
Subject: paint for an aluminum trailer

i have an aluminm trailer that currently has faded blue paint on the top half what kind of paint would I use to repaint it? Looking to paint it black or royal blue. How do ypu repaint aluminum?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
booger6977
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-11-22 7:46 AM (#148523 - in reply to #148435)
Subject: RE: paint for an aluminum trailer

New User

they have a primer that is called etching primer  works  well on alum. sand it down shoot it with that primer then the color paint you want ....remember if you paint a roof a dark color it going to make that traier hot  durning the summer ...thats why most roofs are a light color
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-11-23 12:35 PM (#148551 - in reply to #148435)

Expert

If the original paint is in good shape and completely covers the metal, your aluminum respray efforts can be greatly reduced. If there is no flaking, peeling paint or bare metal exposed, you will eliminate many of the bare metal surface preparations, usually involved when coating aluminum.

If bare metal is exposed, it will have to be spot primed and blended into the original surface. Each paint manufacturer sells a primer for their products.

Basically all you have to do is lightly scuff the surface with a non woven pad, (scotch brite), clean the area with a degreaser such as Prepsol or an equivalent, and depending on the top coating, first spray on a conversion coating. Marine and aircraft products are the best, and are similar in pricing to the top of the line automotive products.

Most of the expense in a respray is the labour involved in the preparation and the materials' costs. The project can be a DIY project, having a pro only apply the paint as the last step. An inexpensive HVLP spray out fit can be obtained for ~$100 that is adequate for this type of work. It would completely pay for itself during one project.

whoop z day z
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-11-24 9:36 AM (#148564 - in reply to #148435)

the trailers faded paint covers it all over well exept a couple small patched. The roof of the trailer is just silver aluminum. Basically what I'm painting is the top half were it changes to smooth aluminum form the corrugated/ stock trailer like aluminum. I will have to post some pis we are redoing the living quarters now- its a 1981 6 horse! Then paint then horse area.
Considering how big this project is i can almost guarantee i will have lots more questions.

Will aluminum siding commercial grade paint work?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)