'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mule Riding Places

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-10-05 8:36 AM
2 replies, 4247 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-10-04 1:16 PM (#147440)
Subject: Mule Riding Places

Regular

Per a member's request to reveal some of my favorite secret mule riding places I am going to list a few places in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri.  Fact is, none of these places are secret as most are well known.  Do have one new place that just opened up.

Sorry Julep, these will be a tad far for ya'll unless you don't mind a several day drive.

Oklahoma:  Horse Heaven, Cedar Lake.  Both have nice campgrounds/facilities and lots of trails.     Less well known place except for the locals is Arrowhead State Park on Lake Eufala.  Nice place to camp, has trails that can keep you busy for about 2 days but usually no big crowds.

Arkansas:  Falling Waters (and hopefully will be able to add CowboyUp.  I liked Lonesome D's trails but the campground is a muddy mess (or was when we went) if it rains.  Other places we would like to try someday.

Missouri:  Only place we have been is to Huckleberry Stables.  Have been going there for the last 4 years every April.

Texas:  Newest place had their Grand Opening back in May.  Had mule riders all the way from Wyoming to Tennessee attend.  HalfAss Mule Camp is located near Wright Patman lake in northeast Texas.  Wooded trails to keep you busy for numerous days as the trails are on Corps of Engineer land around the lake.  Jackie & Donna are good hosts.  Google the camp name and you should find their website and therefore contact numbers.  Texas doesn't have much in the way of equine campgrounds with sufficient amount trails/miles to ride.  Bandera has enough trails to keep you busy for several days.  LBJ Grasslands near Decatur has several trails to keep you busy for several days, but unless you don't mind primitive camping, there is only about 2 private places that have equine campgrounds.  Lots of "mountain" bikers use the trails and those bikes are silent mule monsters to many of us so make sure your mule(s) aren't bothered by bikes.

Julep, I tried to send you a PM, don't know if it went through or not, but it was to give you some info about a big Yahoo group of mule riders that has 8 to 10 organized rides all over the U.S., sometimes twice a year to Shawnee which might be about the closest for you.  But there are members all the way up in Maine.

Mary  or   Mrs. Mary per CajunMuleMan  (so polite, huh? just like a mule person!)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-10-04 1:19 PM (#147441 - in reply to #147440)
Subject: RE: Mule Riding Places

Regular

Julep, ooops!!!  I just saw you are in Missouri, not Michigan! 

Mary

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-10-05 8:36 AM (#147455 - in reply to #147440)
Subject: RE: Mule Riding Places

Elite Veteran

Mrs Mary, I was amazed at how many of the places you mentioned we have been to ( several times ). Horse Haven and Cedar Lake are very nice to camp and ride. As well as Falling Waters. You are very correct about Lonesome D. Every tiime we went back you could see it getting worse than the previous trip. This is really a shame because they have some very nice trails and Buzzard Rock is something to see and so close to camp ( If you know the correct way which we didn't the first time). I thought LBJ Grasslands was not challenging at all. In Eminence Missourri Cross Country Trail Ride is not bad but you have to time it right. They have several rides a year and some are BIG partys with LARGE crowds and actually very little riding. We have been several times on the ride in late Oct/ early Nov and found it to be pretty good for an organized ride. Not the early Oct ride. To the list I think we can add Bar Fifty in Bismarck, AR. They have lots to offer as far as hook-ups, cabins. B & B, cowboy rooms. We have been to the National Chuck wagon Races in Clinton, AR and found this can be what ever you make of it, a big party and/or lots of riding. This is the only ride out of state that we bring a wagon to. Shawnee Nat Forest has some pretty scenery as well. I am not trying to sound like a salesman for any of these places but we are always looking for new places to ride and value other peoples thoughts.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)