'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
hitching post accident~warning

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-06 5:48 AM
32 replies, 18162 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-02 9:16 PM (#144455 - in reply to #144256)
Subject: RE: hitching post accident~warning

Extreme Veteran

It was True West in BSF, KY. We stopped by on our way home. The two remaining upright posts could've been lifted right out of the holes. But then, there was a LOT of horsepower pulling those rails. I think even the stoutest posts might've given way. The image still haunts us, but we all agree that we are SO thankful that no humans were in the way of the stampede. God only knows what set these tired calm horses to bolt like they did.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2012-06-05 9:11 PM (#144578 - in reply to #144450)

Veteran

Originally written by TheOtherHorse on 2012-06-02 7:21 PM

The hitching posts at Brown County in Story by the restaurant are downright scary. Was it there?

You are right about that! Last time I was there was last year, and I refused to tie up at more than one of the hitching rails at Story! The ones in the horsecamp are great though. Never had a problem there.

ibtilton
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-06-14 3:40 PM (#144817 - in reply to #144256)

A local equine vet tied up her most trusted horse to her hitching post made out of wood. Something startled her horse, the horse pulled back and the hitching post broke apart. The horse went flying with the hitch still attached to the lead. She was hospitalized with body and head injuries after trying to stop the horse. The horse survived with no major injuries. She was very lucky.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-17 6:35 PM (#144914 - in reply to #144256)

Extreme Veteran

Oops, make that "True West" at Big South Fork, TN. Wrong state. Just happened to notice that.

I am horse shopping. Actually, two of the friends I camped with and whose horses also bolted, snuck off last week to check out and ride a "new" horse for me.  Don't know too many of the particulars just yet, but I'll check it out myself. It's great having good friends to help heal the soul. I am thankful.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2012-06-21 1:20 PM (#145028 - in reply to #144256)

Extreme Veteran

I hate to ask but did you have to put your horse down?  I've been wondering how it faired and haven't seen anything and sorry if I missed it.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-21 1:33 PM (#145029 - in reply to #145028)

Extreme Veteran

Not as of yet. After weeks of complete stall rest, I was able to begin hand walking him 3x/day around the yard where it's nice and level. We live in the country and have a big yard which is adjacent to Hubby's aunt and uncle. So I have a nice area to walk him in. Well, Murphy's Law.....just as we were almost back to the barn, a truck went by on the road pulling a rattly implement. Quiz lurched and came up limping a lot. He's never been spooky, and the jump took me by total surprise. So it's a definite setback.

His vet surgeon is on vacation till first week of July when we'll go back to the vet hospital. I hope to know more then.

Thank you so much for asking. I still am in disbelief over such calm and very tired horses got so spooked with two of our group sitting just few feet away and saw nothing. All I can do is hope to find a trail gelding with a good temperament and willing to go out alone without a fuss. The rest will be time and effort.

Edited by aceliberty 2012-06-21 1:35 PM
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-07-06 12:46 AM (#145388 - in reply to #144256)

Extreme Veteran

Update....can't sleep after a tough day. Contemplating whether to put my horse down or wait it out. Quiz will never ride the trails again. At best, he'll be able to be ambulatory on four legs, maybe. At the vet hospital, he was fitted with a special shoe to ease pressure on what's left of his foreleg tendons. So today, his regular farrier was here to trim his other three feet. It was extremely painful for Quiz to exert so much weight on his injured leg so the good front leg could be trimmed and reshod. I left Hubby to hold his head, and my super quiet gentle horse repeatedly tried to bite Hubby. I had to leave because I couldn't watch. I can dress wounds, but I simply don't have the withall to see human nor animal suffer. I worked in a hospital, and that has always been the case.

I can't sleep reliving the accident, the pain my horse is going through and the three "goose chases" in pursuit of finding a new horse.

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-07-06 5:48 AM (#145389 - in reply to #145388)

Veteran

My heart goes out to you. I would wake-up in the middle of the night with nightmares reliving an accident I had with my horse years ago. My doctor said that was normal, and it would take time. After 20 years, I can still visualize parts of it perfectly. It can be a hard decision about euthanasia. Questions you might want to consider.....is your horse expected to be pain free at some point? What meds, if any, will he need to be on long term, and the side effects of long term administration? Age of horse, cost of care? What is the horse telling you? Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision. God Bless!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)