'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
exiss st 314 power problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-30 11:57 PM
6 replies, 7912 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ccooper
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-25 3:15 PM (#145092)
Subject: exiss st 314 power problems

I bought a used 2005 Exiss XT 314 trailer used. Trailer came with no documentation at all. I am having problems with power and Im not sure its not just my ignorance causing the problem. Ive had it out twice and both times Ive run both batteries dead. I thought when I hooked up AC power that trailer would automatically kick over to house power and bypass batteries. There is a switch inside the front door that turns power on and off and a switch under battery box that allows you to turn batteries off or select to battery number 1, 2 or both. Draining the batteries is a pain when I get ready to leave because I cant operate the slide out of the hydraulic jacks. Only solution Ive found so far is to use jumper cables to jump directly to my battery from another truck. Should these run off AC if hooked up or are they exclusively 12v and therefore have to run off the batteries first? Is there an inverter installed to address this problem? I assume the trailer also has a trickle charger installed? Can someone tell me the correct combination of power switch and battery power switch to keep things running smoothly when on AC power?Thanks in advance.cc
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-06-26 11:41 AM (#145114 - in reply to #145092)
Subject: RE: exiss st 314 power problems

Extreme Veteran

I would either call Exiss with Vin# or find out the conversion company and give them a call. They should be able to get you a full set of manuals, etc that will explain all.

Or stop by a local conversion company and they might be able to help.

Really hard to trouble shoot without seeing it.

A lot of different ways to wire a trailer.
Good luck!!!
ccooper
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-26 11:46 AM (#145115 - in reply to #145092)

Exiss is sending me a manual, although it only covers back to model year 2010. Im hoping it is close enough for comparison. The conversion company went out of business so no chance of getting help from them
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2012-06-26 4:21 PM (#145124 - in reply to #145092)

Veteran

Sounds like one or both batteries are shot. put a tester on them (unhooked) and find out for sure.
ccooper
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-27 12:16 PM (#145156 - in reply to #145092)

One battery is brand new. I swapped out the other one last night. When I plug in the shore cord I have AC power to AC and Fridge units. I dont have any 12V coming off the converter. I checked voltage coming off converter to batteries and only got 5 volts. Checked all the fuses on the converter and they were all good. Converter fan never comes on, even under load on hot day. Converter is Intellipower 9160A. Maybe the converter is bad? I understand that a bad battery could affect the overall system, but shouldnt the converter still be putting out 12V DC even if I have a bad battery?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-06-27 4:27 PM (#145164 - in reply to #145092)

Expert

With the batteries dsconnected, you should still maintain a charging voltage from the converter. You may be reading the voltage of a dead battery @ 5V.

With no batteries attached to the positive cables, a basic converter will put out about 13.8 -14V DC. A multiple stage converter/charger like yours can charge anywhere from ~ 13.2V -~ 14.4 V DC depending on the batteries' condition. The more battery charge that is necessary, the higher the voltage that will be used. A maintenance voltage would be its lowest output.

I would check the terminals at the converter, checking also the converter case to ground wiring. With power off and the batteries disconnected, you can check the terminals for resistance and continuity. Make sure the attaching screws are tight, and no wiring insulation had slipped into the terminals, when the wiring was installed.

I would physically remove each wire and check the condition of each of the ends. With the converter on and dead or no batteries, you should read voltages in the high 13's and low 14Vs DC.

You should also check the AC power supply into which the converter is sourced. If it doesn't have 115-120V AC, it can't opperate properly. It may be the victim of a poor breaker or a bad connection.

If none of the converter fuses are blown, the voltage to the converter is acceptable and the output voltage remains at 5V, you may indeed, have a bad converter.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-06-30 11:57 PM (#145244 - in reply to #145156)

Expert

Originally written by ccooper on 2012-06-27 12:16 PM

One battery is brand new. I swapped out the other one last night. When I plug in the shore cord I have AC power to AC and Fridge units. I dont have any 12V coming off the converter. I checked voltage coming off converter to batteries and only got 5 volts. Checked all the fuses on the converter and they were all good. Converter fan never comes on, even under load on hot day. Converter is Intellipower 9160A. Maybe the converter is bad? I understand that a bad battery could affect the overall system, but shouldnt the converter still be putting out 12V DC even if I have a bad battery?
Not if the bad battery has a dead short in it...when dealing with PAIR of batteries...replacing just one will draw the new one down to the level of the other in a very short period of time...better to replace them both at the same time
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)