'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What is the Longevity of Aluminum Skin over Steel Frame Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-04-29 9:16 PM
4 replies, 6591 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WImary
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2012-04-28 9:00 AM (#143488)
Subject: What is the Longevity of Aluminum Skin over Steel Frame Trailers

New User

Currently, I only camp about 10 times per year, but would like to upgrade to a trailer with LQ. I do anticipate camping alot more before my daughter headas to college and more when both kids are out of the house!! The trailer is always stored inside when not used and is never pulled in snow or salt.

What are the possible longevity issues of aluminum skin over steel frames? The last time I seriously trailer shopped was a few years ago, and heard several "stories" of the tubular steel supports rusting from the inside out and they couldn't be repaired in the LQ area without removing all of the wall material. Were these real issues, or just stories? How long have aluminum skin over steel frames been used? How many years of use are these trailers expected to get? Is there anything that can be done to prevent the steel from rusting? Any other thoughts? Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-04-28 7:09 PM (#143498 - in reply to #143488)
Subject: RE: What is the Longevity of Aluminum Skin over Steel Frame Trailers

Extreme Veteran

I haven't heard any stories like that. The aluminum over steel is not a new building concept, the RV industry has been doing it for years. I've never heard of an RV rusting from the frame out. Our trailer is a steel frame under aluminum skin. The manufacture painted top to bottom the frame with an epoxy based paint prior to skin attachment. As long as the builder does a quality frame prep and paint, you shouldn't have any concerns of rust.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-04-28 10:52 PM (#143502 - in reply to #143488)

Expert

There are too many variables to give an accurate answer. One variable would include where you live and the weather in which it will be used. Another is the type of steel that is used, bare, galvaneal, or galvanised. The preparation that the steel receives before it is used, and what type it is, will have a strong effect on how well suited it is for the elements.

The actual constructions that are used, how the aluminum panels are affixed and whether or not they are just taped on or mechanically fastened to the steel structure. The type (series) of aluminum that is used, will have a great deal of result on its longevity.

The maintenance, care and usage it receives by its owner, will greatly determine its long term usefullness. Just as all steel and all aluminum trailers can't be directly compared to one another, neither can the bi-metallic hybrids.

Aluminum over steel is used for one reason, cost. It's cheaper to build a steel frame with  lower labour and materials costs than one of all aluminum.

This can be a benefit to the purchaser, for whom the combination results in a competent and long lasting trailer. Stick with the name brands that have excellent records. Be aware that your results may not equal others, if you live in a rust belt, near to salt water, or decide to haul Bison instead of horses.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-04-29 12:29 AM (#143508 - in reply to #143488)

Expert

Take Gards Advice.

I'm in Utah, I frequently ride Antelope Island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake during the winter. It is accessed by a 7 mile long causeway across the Great Salt Lake.  I guarantee you there is salt on that road. Salt is plentiful and cheap, So it is used on all our roads during the winter.  I also tow to the local fairgrounds, and other places to ride all winter. Unlike your trailer, mine does see some salt that might cause rust.

My current trailer is a 2006 Logan Coach XTR.  It is a steel frame with aluminum skin.  Other than some rust on the axles/running gear and some of the gooseneck parts. I don't really see much rust on my trailer.

slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-04-29 9:16 PM (#143528 - in reply to #143488)

Regular

2 years ago, we bought a 1988 Gore, aluminum over steel, with a LQ. We live in central PA, so we see snow, but I don't know whether the previous owners had it out when there was salt on the roads. We gutted the entire living quarters, except the bathroom, for cosmetic and functional reasons, so I've seen inside the walls, the floor, and the ceiling. There was no rust, and the trailer is 20 years old.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)