'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying a used trailer from dealer 'sight unseen'

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-04-22 10:09 AM
12 replies, 7557 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-04-14 9:56 AM (#143100)
Subject: Buying a used trailer from dealer 'sight unseen'

Veteran

I have bought a new trailer 'sight unseen' with no issues and now am looking at a used Weekender LQ trailer 'sight unseen' from a dealer.

Any insights/thoughts/experiences?

Thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-04-14 10:59 AM (#143102 - in reply to #143100)
Subject: RE: Buying a used trailer from dealer 'sight unseen'

Expert

Personally I have not and would not, purchase any trailer without a visual inspection. What someone else thinks of a trailer may be completely different than your expectations. Even if you discount the possibility of outright fraud or major exaggeration, there are many variables, when a product is advertised as being of very good or excellent condition.

I have purchased many used items, cars, trucks, trailers, boats, tools etc. They have been of excellent value and rewarding to own. The only bad products that I've been involved with were purchased sight unseen. I knew up front that they could have been misrepresented, and by limiting my purchase prices if they were, I would be somewhat protected from a complete loss. Out of several hundred sales, I can list two small purchased items, that were unusable as delivered. They were repaired and are now in my shop ready for use.

I never buy anything of which replacement parts are not available, or repairable by myself or local artisans.

There are a couple of dealers within this forum, in whom I would place my trust. If your dealer is personally known to you, that would be to your advantage. If he is not, only by a hands on examination, would I purchase anything from him.

Krista W
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-04-14 12:15 PM (#143103 - in reply to #143100)

As a dealer, I sell many trailers across country to people who can not come see the trailer personally. At our dealership our full service department runs the trailer thru our service shop when the trailer arrives. At that time the trailer has an annual maintenance done on it (repacked barrings, replaced seals, ect) and then it is also checked with the brakes, backing plates, electrical, all livingquarters appliances, holding tanks, lines, ect. When the trailer sells my service shop runs the trailer thru again to make sure everything is in working order before it leaves. So with that said, I would just make sure that the dealership has thoroughly ran thru the trailer to make sure everything is in working or before it leaves. Ask what they check when they run thru so you know what they have had "hands on" look at. Dont be afraid to ask for more pictures of certain things on the trailer as well to make sure there are no "suprises"

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-04-14 2:49 PM (#143105 - in reply to #143100)

Expert

I bought my trailer from a dealer in North dakota. I saw pictures on the web site and then asked for more. I asked alot of questions as well as -if I don't like it will you take it back?" they said yes so i didn't have much to lose. Interesting to note the trailer was even better than I thought it would be. Just ask questions...and get any promises in writing ( or email) Good honest dealers will accomdate your request but keep in mind used is used. I wouldn't buy anything without any pictures. However there is no reason those cannot be sent to you and even a video clip...
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-04-14 4:32 PM (#143106 - in reply to #143100)

Veteran

Yes, there are plenty of pictures inside and out and the rep from the dealer has been very forthcoming with answering my questions. Heck, the new trailer I bought I never saw until we met the delivery guy!

Thanks.

naldo123
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-04-16 8:54 PM (#143158 - in reply to #143106)

We bought our 08 Cimarron LQ sight unseen from a dealer. The dealer was reputable, answered all my questions, lots of pictures. Trailer was as advertised, we were happy. I don't think I would do that with an individual, though.
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2012-04-17 7:12 AM (#143169 - in reply to #143100)

Extreme Veteran

A good friend of mine bought a 2006 Cimmarron from Shinin B....based on some photos. He couldn't be happier. Has a torsion brole in the awning and Shinin B told him to find somebody local to fix it...and send them the bill. I've seen the trailer and it was represented accurately. Of course dealings with others may be different.
stronghill
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-04-17 11:19 AM (#143171 - in reply to #143100)

New User

Recent experience.....Live in Maryland, found a used Hart LQ trailer at a dealership in Concord, NC.  After at least 30 emails/phonecalls back & forth, many pics and an assurance that the trailer was everything they described, put a deposit down.  Agreed on a trade in price on my trailer so we hit the road for a 7 hour trip. 

When we got there, we were shocked.  First of all, the trailer was filthy.  Mold in the fridge, manure under the mats.  The bathroom ceiling was coming down around the vent, the trailer was not 7'6" as described (and that would have been a deal breaker for me as I have a very large horse) and when we got down under it to check the holding tanks, lo & behold, there was a very large and very noticeable crack in the black water tank.  Now I had been told that the trailer had been thoroughly gone over by their service department.  Hmmmmm, now they offered to fix everything but we had driven 7 hours to pick up our trailer.  Not to drive back home & have to drive back yet again.  Needless to say, we were not happy.  The salesman did apologize and refunded our deposit ( and offered to show me some new Featherlites, grrrr)  but I was still out $400 in fuel and a day off of work. 

No more buying without "touching" for me.

Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2012-04-17 7:43 PM (#143179 - in reply to #143100)

Veteran

I have, but only new trailers from dealers. I would not buy sight unseen used or from a private person. Dealers have a reputation to protect, private people don't.
timberlace
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2012-04-20 11:22 AM (#143237 - in reply to #143100)

I just purchased a 2005 featherlite 6 horse from Chism Trailers in Oklahoma. I found it on this sight and asked lots of questions. They went through and checked everything to make sure it worked and I paid for new tires and to have the roof resealed, they then met me in Fort Worth for delivery, I still had the right to back out at that point, but the trailer was beautiful. The only problem was that 8 ft wide and 7'6 tall with extra room in the stalls and tack room is a lot bigger in person that it sounds. But, I will be fine once I get used to pulling around my own city and the horses absolutely love it. I would recommend these dealers to anyone. On the other hand I had found another Featherlite the week before that an individual was selling. The pictures showed a clean trailer that was supposedly well maintained and in excellent shape with brand new tires. I drove 4 hours to see it with the intention of purchasing it that day. When I arrived the trailer was 7 ft instead of 7'6 (a deal breaker as I have big high headed horses) and it was filthy, someone had either hauled cows or sick horses in it since the photos were taken. There was manure everywhere, and not only were the tires old and worn out they were 4 different tires. If I could have strangled the girl I would have.If you buy sight unseen, make sure the dealer is reputable and you have an out if you don't like the trailer. Also, if you are looking at a featherlite the company can tell you the particulars from the vend number. Most places won't tell you the height unless you specifically ask.
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2012-04-20 9:22 PM (#143252 - in reply to #143100)

Regular

I almost bought a trailer from a dealer halfway across the country (US) from me.  We communicated back and forth several times and lots of extra pix were taken.  I seriously considered flying out there as I was leery of paying so much money on something and making a mistake, but the travel costs were rather pricey too. 

I asked a friend who happens to live closer (still a 3 hour drive for them) if they could go to look at it for me, and I paid for the fuel, plus some extra for the time off work.  I`m very glad I did this as the report was not good and I cancelled the deal.  I did end up buying a trailer closer to home that I was able to inspect personally before making the purchase.

Edited by northernmom 2012-04-20 9:23 PM
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2012-04-22 6:07 AM (#143284 - in reply to #143100)

Extreme Veteran

Several years ago I bought a brand new Lakota sight unseen from a dealer in N. GA. This dealer was dishonest from the start, he already had my deposit $ and it took over 9 months (after threatening w/ legal action) to get the trailer. The trailer turned out to be horrible, lots of problems. To their credit Lakota stood behind it and fixed nearly everything that went wrong. lesson learned: check out the dealers reputation first b4 even considering to buy a trailer long distance or in person.
RubyDoo
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-04-22 10:09 AM (#143297 - in reply to #143284)

Recently bought a trailer from Dixie Horse and Mule Co in Alabama.   A very good experience.  We didn't pay for it till we got there and looked at it, but the trailer was everything and more than they said.   I would buy from them again, and would feel comfortable buying   from them sight unseen so to speak.   They were very good about sending pictures, and even took more for me.  They answered all my questions honestly.   It was a 13 hr drive for us, so I was a little apprehensive about the time and money invested in getting there, but it was a great experience and we got a good deal on a used trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)