'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
More on the Generator / Fuel Pump Problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-04 10:53 PM
6 replies, 5102 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AJS
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-02-21 11:39 AM (#141285)
Subject: More on the Generator / Fuel Pump Problem

Regular

Since I've been able to narrow the problem down to being the fuel pump....I can't get the exact pump that was in there. My fuel lines are 1/4"....the only pump I can get my hands on, is designed to connect to 3/8" fuel lines. It comes with little pieces of hose that will attach to the pump, and then I can use a connector to get them to attach to the smaller fuel line. But here are my two biggest questions: 1) If the pump is operating under the assumption it is connected to 3/8" line, but it's really attached to 1/4" line....will I have problems? The pump I'm replacing, lifts the fuel to the roof of the trailer; there is another pump on the generator itself, and I'm assuming these two pumps kind of need to work together....And 2) it seems like I'm asking for trouble by having the two additional connections...just two more places leaks could crop up. Cummins makes a pump that is designed for the 1/4" lines, but I can't get my hands on one easily....tried ordering from Camping World, and it's on backorder for at least 5 weeks. Thoughts....?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2012-02-21 12:11 PM (#141286 - in reply to #141285)
Subject: RE: More on the Generator / Fuel Pump Problem

Veteran

As long as all the connections are sealed properly it shouldn't be a problem.
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-02-21 2:41 PM (#141291 - in reply to #141285)

Extreme Veteran

Try a pump with threaded couplers instead of a hose barb maybe? That way you can get a nipple with the correct size hose barb. Had to do this on my skid steer.

Good luck!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-02-21 3:17 PM (#141295 - in reply to #141285)

Expert

Go to any good hardware or big box store and purchase a brass union adapter, a 1/4" barb and a couple of mini clamps. Take the pump with you and ask a sales person for help if nesessary. Also inspect your fuel line for wear. If it's stiff and brittle, chaffed or the ends are cracked, it would be a good time to replace it. New fuel line can be purchased at any auto parts store and it's sold by the foot. Cut off a piece and take it with you, so you ensure that you purchase the correct inside diameter line.

The new pump will be able to provide a larger volume of fuel than your gen will need. By restricting its flow in a 1/4" line will do no harm. Many electric  pumps put out ~7PSI, you will loose one psi for every ~39" of lift. In this installation, the gen pump is designed to have a head pressure on its inlet's side, which will be provided by the new pump. The gen pump will then deliver the correct fuel flow to the motor.

With a couple of simple adapters, you can easily plumb your new pump to the old system.

DLM-10
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2012-02-21 9:48 PM (#141303 - in reply to #141285)

I should have asked the fuel line size. I didn't find one with 1/4" fittings but this pump has interchangeable fittings and napa will probably have the correct ones, you need 1/8" x 1/4" hose barb. This pump is a lower presure that would suit a small carburated engine better.

There are aslo doubble sided hose barb fittings for different size hoses and you could use the original pump but have twice as many connections and clamps more chances for problems or leaks.

Part:   NFP P74021

AJS
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-03-04 9:50 PM (#141673 - in reply to #141285)

Regular

I wanted to thank everyone for their help on this, I never could have figured this out for myself, but with everyone's help, I DID IT!!!I gave up trying to get the right pump from Napa (I live in a teeny-tiny town, and the guy was great, just couldn't seem to find the right part in the system), and just went with the Cummins pump that the manufacturer puts in when they build the trailers. Once I got the pump in hand, which only took them a day to get to me, putting it in took about 5 minutes. Works awesome....
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-04 10:53 PM (#141676 - in reply to #141285)

Expert

We always like to hear about happy endings
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'