'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail-Et Replacement Top Doors?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-12-15 8:31 PM
4 replies, 10170 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ironbessflint
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2011-12-08 5:25 PM (#139396)
Subject: Trail-Et Replacement Top Doors?

Hello,

I'm looking at an older model Trailet that may be in need of replacement top doors.  One latch doesn't work at all, and the hinge also seems to remove itself from the trailer.  The other latch works partially, but also pulls out of the entire door.  The doors themselves have a fair amount of rust on the inside.

Are replacement doors available from anywhere now that Trail-Et is out of business?  Would replacing the hinges and latches be a worthwhile option if not (or how involved of a repair would that be)?

I'm trying to figure out if non-functioning top doors is a deal-breaker on this trailer, which otherwise seems to meet my needs.

Thanks in advance!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-12-09 1:28 AM (#139409 - in reply to #139396)
Subject: RE: Trail-Et Replacement Top Doors?

Expert

If those upper doors are in that bad of shape, then what does it look like underneath the mats/wood floor? What does the steel frame look like?

How close does a HAWK door come to matching Trail-et?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-12-09 7:09 AM (#139412 - in reply to #139396)

Expert

I support Retento's ideas. If the doors are rusty, the steel frame should be especially scrutinised before any thought of a purchase is made. TE trailers in our neighourhood, were well noted for rusting and having short life spans. The aluminum skin often hid many problems.

If you are determined to purchase the trailer, a fabricator can repair or make new door panels, and use an assortment of commercial latches and hinges, including piano styled variants.

The areas that should be especially checked, are where the floor joists meet the side rails under the outside edging of the floorboards. Urine and road salt will eat these joints quickly, if they weren't routinely flushed after every usage.

If there is rust on the frame, walk away from it.

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2011-12-09 8:50 AM (#139414 - in reply to #139396)

Extreme Veteran

If the hinge problem is that they are double hinged and frozen, that was a common problem if lubrication was lax.  We still have a few Trail-et hinges in stock, as we replaced them in our shop frequently.  When they are gone, they are gone.  We had to buy them directly from Trail-et as fabricating them would have been prohibitively expensive.  The framework in the doors can be rebuilt if the skin is relatively intact.  Do check the rear crossmember that is visible just under the ramp.   Most damaged frame can be replaced, but it can make a used trailer pretty darned expensive.  If you just need hinges, send us a picture of the existing hinges to confirm that they are the type I think they are, and we may have the parts in stock.     Kay Lancaster    Northside Trailer LLC
ironbessflint
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2011-12-15 8:31 PM (#139556 - in reply to #139396)

Thanks so much to everyone who replied here and privately! My dad is a mechanic and after a very thorough check gave me the go ahead to buy the trailer, and so far I'm quite pleased with it.Kay is right on with the hinges...looks like what caused all the problems with the one door is that one half of the hinge got stuck, somebody tried to force it, and the door and weld gave before the hinge did. I thought I'd be calling you for a hinge, but my dad managed to heat it up enough to get that working, re-welded the door, and I'm good to go there. Also thought I'd need to source some new latches, but he rebuilt those as well! A locksmith provided some new keys, and now all that's left is to rewire and find out how many lights really need replacing, and then we'll be roadworthy! I'm very excited about my new trailer - so thanks to all that convinced me the DOORS weren't going to be a deal breaker if the rest was okay :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)