'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ball-Hitch Alignment Aids

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-11-30 9:51 AM
6 replies, 7851 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2011-11-21 12:03 PM (#139021)
Subject: Ball-Hitch Alignment Aids

Regular

I went from a gooseneck trailer that I could see the ball-hitch alignment to a BP. The age old question arises as to what various aids and techniques work for ball-hitch alignment every time, not just getting close. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. I also have a BP dump trailer that for probably many more hitch-ups attempts is easier to align. There seem to be some aids on the market, such as two balls on magnets, back-up cameras and the Hitch Sniper advertised on HTW. Wife tries to be helpful, but usually she waits too long to give directions. Not a big deal as eventually the trailer gets hooked up. But sometimes if you don't hold your tongue just right, then it's get out and back in time again. The more failed attempts then the more you continue to fail. Obviously, the more consistent you are in backing to the same reference points the more likley you are to be aligned. Got any feedback on aids or gagets that work well every time? 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-11-21 12:09 PM (#139022 - in reply to #139021)
Subject: RE: Ball-Hitch Alignment Aids

Extreme Veteran

If your good at backing with your rear view mirror, mount a spring loaded antennae on your trailer, and place a piece of blue painters tape on your tailgate that lines up with the antennae.  You will be right on the target for alignment, however you will need to have the trailer the right height before backing up.  Once you "bump" the trailer, just pull ahead just a smidge, and chances are you'll be ready to drop the trailer on the ball.
paysonw
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2011-11-21 12:35 PM (#139023 - in reply to #139021)

Regular

You could also mount a mirror on the front of the trailer or make a bracket to slide over the tailgate when hooking up. FWIW

trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2011-11-23 8:12 PM (#139074 - in reply to #139021)

Extreme Veteran

If the wife does help some times, you need to swap around, and you give directions, and she backs truck. Good for both of you to see the other side of what it takes to get the communication working to help hook up the trailer. Hubby and I have our own set of hand signals that usually has the truck hooked on the first try.

4 fingers moving means keep backing up.

1 finger pointing in a direction means the hitch needs to head that way. as long as that finger is pointing, the truck is continued to be turned to head that way.

Change back to the 4 fingers moving means to straighten wheel, and keep coming straight back.

Index finger and thumb touching like a pinch means just a little bit more.

Closed hand / fist means STOP

If I can not see his hand giving directions, I just stop and wait. He gets the idea to move out from behind the cabover camper so I can see him.

Anyway, seriously, swapping will give each of you an idea of what it takes to get it hooked up quick and easy
az4hmom
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2011-11-23 8:47 PM (#139075 - in reply to #139021)

I am a single rider, no one else in the family rides.  When I decide to go out, I am usually the only one home.  My husband watched me from afar try to hook up the BP trailer alone one day, and saw the frustration on my face, as well as the 5 times I pulled back and forth.  Next time I went to hook up the trailer, he had installed a wireless backup camera and pointed it at the hitch!  WA-LAAA!  It was so easy, first try, and I was right on!  At night it was a little harder to see the depth and exactly where the hitch was, so he painted the front of the hitch white (my trailer is grey) and now I NEVER miss!  It is so easy, and the camera has a fish eye/wide angle, so I always see what is behind me!!  The wireless camera was under a hundred bucks and took him 30 minutes to attach to my bumper.  The best $80 we have spent by far!  I LOVE my hubby and will NEVER be without a back up camera again!  
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-11-24 5:51 AM (#139078 - in reply to #139021)

Expert

I've seen this aid used by some single drivers. Looks like a quick and inexpensive way to see what's happening. It just slips on and off the tailgate while it's being used.

http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11955-FastHitch-Mirror/dp/B00029WRKK

Edited by gard 2011-11-24 5:53 AM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-11-30 9:51 AM (#139204 - in reply to #139021)

Expert

Backup cameras work very well and their prices have dropped to the reasonable level...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)