'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
heating trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-11-29 8:41 PM
4 replies, 3593 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

setter
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2011-11-28 7:35 PM (#139169)
Subject: heating trailer

New User

I use my trailer in the winter time and was concerened about how you all heat your trailer when the temps get below freezing without winterizing the trailer. I heard that some people put a space heater in the trailer bit I am afraid of a fire. Or would you leave the furnace on at night when it gets below freezing.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2011-11-28 9:38 PM (#139170 - in reply to #139169)
Subject: RE: heating trailer

Elite Veteran

I use a ceramic heater that has a thermostat on it. Never had any problems with anything freezing.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-11-28 10:30 PM (#139172 - in reply to #139169)

Expert

The ceramic heaters are less expensive to purchase and run than your LQ furnace. They are also maintenance free. As was stated, their thermostats enable you to select an interior temp that you want to maintain. One small heater can easily heat a moderatly sized LQ.

Make sure to keep all the cupboard and bath room doors open to allow a warm air flow. You will have to make sure any pipes running under the interior flooring, are warm enough to avoid freezing. Many floors and bulk heads are not well insulated, and cold outside temps can rapidly cool them. A split hidden pipe can be costly to replace.

If a warm interior cannot maintain a warm floor, you may have to purge the system or add anitfreeze to your plumbing. If you consistently use your trailer in freezing temps, it's much less expensive and quicker to purge the system with air, and blow the water from the lines, than it is to continually add antifreeze and then flush it with water.

Empty the holding tanks as soon as possible, and add some RV antifreeze to them whilst in storage and before they are used.

Boo's Mom
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2011-11-29 1:24 PM (#139183 - in reply to #139169)

We've had great luck with an oil filled heater, produces radiant heat with virtually no chance of a fire since everything is completely contained. We are in Arkansas but had many nights in the single digits during the 3 years we used it in the LQ. I did put non-toxic RV antifreeze in the sink and shower drain traps just to be on the safe side, but did not winterize. Heaters are sold at wally world and other big box stores for less than $40. One brand we've used is called Pelonis. You can google and see what they look like. Also use them in the well house. LOVE THEM!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-11-29 8:41 PM (#139191 - in reply to #139183)

Expert

it will be in the 20's tonight in Arkansas for the first time since last winter.Our LQ is still here in our yard (we keep it stored in a tractor shed away from our home property) and just to be on the safe side,we opened up the faucets and drained the holding tank completely,drained the water heater,and have a thermostat controlled heater inside with the cabinet doors open as Gard suggested.We camped in it this past weekend,and,never used the furnace or heat strip,just this ceramic heater.The furnace gets it to a suffocating temp,and,the heat strip runs constantly without shutting off.We found that the heater works just fine! With the gas furnace,seems it's either/or,too hot or gets too cold before it kicks back on.I like using the small heater a lot better.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)