'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
DYI weekender conversion

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-11-03 5:15 PM
16 replies, 28558 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-10-04 8:32 PM (#31327)
Subject: DYI weekender conversion

Looking for advice...and still looking for a trailer.  I hope to buy a used 3H slant GN with minimum 4ft short wall.  In an effort to keep costs down on this purchase (under $10,000), I've focused on GN shells with the idea of finishing a weekender pkg myself.  I have never done anything like this before (as is true of all my horse experience in this past year!).  It seems do-able to me, especially with all the great guidance on this site... however, would I be better off saving more money to buy a trailer with weekender already done?  For a basic weekender with A/C, microwave, sink and cabinets, anyone have a ballpark cost for DIY vs complete? I'm going to Congress next weekend to search for trade-ins.

Thanks in advance!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-04 9:50 PM (#31328 - in reply to #31327)
Subject: RE: DYI weekender conversion

Veteran

How funny. I am exactly in the same boat as you... but looking for a 2 horse. It is difficult to find any around this area. What brand are you looking for?

There are a handful of guys up north that can convert them... for cheaper because they get all their supplies from the "RV" companies up in northern Indiana.

Take a look at my post reguarding Floor Plans... The user "maccwall" did a great job of space saving and re-doing his trailer with directions! :)

I want to go to congress too... I wonder if they will have alot of traded trailers... :)

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-10-05 5:58 AM (#31333 - in reply to #31328)

Hi QHGirl

Thanks for the post!  Todd's website on his great conversion was what got me thinking I could do this!  However, now I'm thinking I should at least price out a "conversion company" who would know what they are doing vs me who does not!  Any companies you'd recommend?

Several people have told me that Congress is the best place to find a trailer, new or used.  I'm mostly interested in Hart, CM, Hawk, but am open-minded to anything that meets my list of needs and most of my wants!  Also, I've been to the nearby trailer stores, leaving my number in case they'd get a trade-in in my price range and criteria.  Good luck!

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-05 9:12 AM (#31339 - in reply to #31327)

Veteran

Actually I don't have the number of the one in Napanee, but I could get it.

Sierra conversion - (Elkhart, IN - East of South Bend) http://sierrainteriors.com/

Showtime conversion - (Middleburry, IN - East of Elkhart - North of Fort Wayne) http://www.showtimeconversions.com/

I know that Spencer RV up in Breman, IN also does conversions.

Good luck and you definatly made me want to go to congress now! :)
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-10-05 10:08 AM (#31341 - in reply to #31327)

Extreme Veteran

I wouldn't rule out finding a used trailer already done.

You can certainly save money on DIY - but it's a time consuming process, and mine doesn't have power or propane piped in. If you decide not to DIY I think you would save more money to buy a used trailer with an LQ, over buying a used shell and getting and an LQ installed.

Here's a few on this site under $15,000 (your $10K limit, plus enough to do an LQ)... they are out there and you will likely see lots as trade-ins at Congress.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=62230

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=63313

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=63229

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=63229

This ones really nice http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=63385

Edited by MBRA518 2005-10-05 10:16 AM
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-10-05 7:06 PM (#31344 - in reply to #31327)

Extreme Veteran

I agree.  There are deals out there.   You can find a used one in excellent condition with the weekender you are looking for OR find one partially done; insulation and AC (for example).

Mine is under $2k as a DIY.  Does take lots of time but we had so much fun!!

smitty50
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-04 5:18 PM (#108972 - in reply to #31327)

New User

Hi, I have a 2H slant Sundowner, home made conversion, sink, refrig. portopotty, propane heat.  Have used for week end trips.  Easily sell for much less than 10,000 but its not a perfect conversion.  Jen
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-04 5:36 PM (#108974 - in reply to #31327)

Expert

A 4' complete, but modest conversion costs ~$10,000 and up. This is a full galley and bath with shower, toilet and tanks. If you add this cost to that of a decent used trailer, you can be in the mid $20s pretty quickly. In the high $20s, you can buy completed new trailers off the lot.

This Spring I was involved in the construction of a replication of a Sierra interior in an Exiss trailer. It took two people about 170 man hours, and about $3800 for materials. The costs will vary considerably depending on the cabinetry, materials and appliances you choose, and whether you want a functional bathroom with tanks.

If you want instant gratification, buy a used trailer with an installed weekender. It is less expensive than installing an aftermarket conversion, and you can use it without living in a partially completed LQ. I did and don't regret doing so at all. It is my most used trailer, comfortable for a couple of people for a weekend, as well as being light and maneuverable enough to haul to the smallest venues.

Gard

Scribbles
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-30 7:24 AM (#138615 - in reply to #108972)

New User

Just wanted to warn you that we flew all the way up to congress just to buy a weekender horse trailer. All the trailer people told us that weekenders were "out". We found 2 very old used ones and nothing new. Prices were high too.
Maybe going the last week you will have better luck.
I am home and still looking with little luck. anyone in Florida know who can do an inexpensive conversion?
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-10-30 4:51 PM (#138627 - in reply to #31327)

Extreme Veteran

Did he say WHY weekenders were 'out'? Is it because he wanted to sell you a bigger, more equipped, more expensive trailer? How could a weekender possibly be 'out'?
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-10-31 9:50 AM (#138640 - in reply to #31327)

Extreme Veteran

From a dealers standpoint; I would try and find a "factory" conversion if you can.  Reason being:  Most of them will have an RVIA code on them, so that they will be accepted at most all campgrounds.  They also will retail higher when you trade them in.  Sometimes DYI's almost take away from the trade in value.

We see a lot of unfinished DYI projects traded in; and even though the customer had good intentions of finish it; as Gard mentioned, it is a tedious time consuming project. 

slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2011-11-01 8:15 PM (#138662 - in reply to #31327)

Regular

I would say that if you can find a weekender that has an ugly interior, but has the A/C, propane & plumbing lines, and holding tanks, that might be an option for you. We gutted all but the bathroom, and rebuilt. Started gutting about January, finished re-building in April or May, and we both have full-time jobs. One advantage to this is that you can see what doesn't work in the layout, and make it work better for you. For instance, we made the upper cabinets taller & brought them out further, added a cabinet door to the end of the dinette bench for easier access, and added a set of drawers to the base cabinets. I think our homemade living quarters is at least as nice as most conversions I've seen in the lower price ranges. I would post pics if I could figure out how. Seems I'm not as techy as I thought I was.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-11-02 3:24 PM (#138670 - in reply to #31327)

Extreme Veteran

Slowrider, that is exactly what I did with my little weekender. The original interior was way ugly, but now I get all kinds of compliments on it! I bought it new, and shortly after I got it started remodeling it.
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-11-03 5:00 AM (#138679 - in reply to #31327)

Regular

Even though we have an 06 K-B w/10' LQ, I still enjoy browsing at all the interiors & there are definitely some DIY that are a true turn-off & ugly & agree that sometimes it is best to just buy a good used trailer already done.  I know Slowrider personally and she is a nurse & her husband a truck driver.  I saw their trailer when they bought it and  I was blown away when I saw their LQ in Spring after they had redone it.  If I hadn't known, I would have thought it was done by a conversion company - I wish she could post the pictures for everyone to enjoy because it is an inspiration to those who are willing to put the time in to DIY.

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2011-11-03 11:57 AM (#138684 - in reply to #31327)

Extreme Veteran

I am sure you are encountering problems with the definition of "weekender".  I am a dealer, and when someone says they are looking for a weekender, I ask them to define it.  Most folks just mean a small LQ, but some mean a finished unit but without a toilet, shower, or water heater.  Many different expectations.

In recent years the weekender without the bathroom facilities has been more difficult to sell, and we no longer order them for inventory.  There are so many repos and aged inventory out there that are priced quite reasonably.  You might go to the "Trailers Wanted" section on this site and list your needs.  Many dealers monitor that section.  Be sure to describe the features you need in a weekender, and be realistic about the price range.  A dealer will probably not reply to a request for a weekender with a $5,000 price range

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-11-03 4:40 PM (#138687 - in reply to #31327)

Expert

Kay is correct. There are many different ideas about what a "weekender" contains. I have seen a dressing room GN equipped with only a mattress, being called a weekender. There are many installations that have sleeping quarters and no appliances, also being called weekenders. Then as Kay mentioned,  is the question, "does a bathroom make the installation a weekender"?

I've always considered a weekender to be a smaller, fully equipped LQ with a bathroom. This would include kitchen appliances, water, heat, bathroom, storage tanks and supply, full electrical, insulated and finished interior etc. Because it is smaller, it cannot supply the needs of a larger group or an extended stay offered by many full sized LQs. Thus its nomenclature.

Just as there are many trailer owners, there are as many ideas of just what a weekender means to them.  

memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2011-11-03 5:15 PM (#138689 - in reply to #31327)

Veteran

Guard is right. I've always concidered a weekender to not have a bathroom. So everyone has a different idea.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)