'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Double D Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-10-26 3:51 PM
14 replies, 13314 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

upslady
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-25 8:42 PM (#35987)
Subject: Double D Trailers

Does anyone own a Double D trailer? I am looking at their 2H Slant Combo and would like to know if anyone has seen or owned one. Also what you think about their quailty of trailer. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
THE TRUTH
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-26 8:15 AM (#36006 - in reply to #35987)
Subject: RE: Double D Trailers

they make a great trailer, good price.
tbone
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-26 8:38 AM (#36008 - in reply to #35987)

I HAVE A 4H SLANT W/LIVING QTRS. I HAVE HAD IT FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND LOVE IT. THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT I HAVE HAD IS WITH THE VINYL FLOORING IN THE LIVING AREA. THE VINYL IS NOT WANTING TO STAY IN PLACE AND IS BUBBLING. OTHER THAN THAT I LOVE THE TRAILER FOR THE MONEY. I SEARCHED FOR A LONG TIME AND LOOKED AT A BUNCH OF TRAILERS AND FOR THE MONEY I DON'T THINK YOU'LL FIND A BETTER DEAL.
blacktwh
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-26 12:09 PM (#36017 - in reply to #35987)

New User

I have been looking at the Double D website for a couple of months and am glad to hear some encouraging words from current owners of Double D trailers. I have a really nice two horse slant BP Aluminum trailer and a little hesitant to buy a composite (GN). How is their service?
tbone
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-26 3:44 PM (#36026 - in reply to #35987)

I CAN'T REALLY GIVE YOU AN ACCURATE ANSWER ON THEIR SERVICE BECAUSE I HAVN'T HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH THEM SINCE I BOUGHT MY TRAILER. THE DAY I BOUGHT MY TRAILER, IT WAS PRETTY GOOD. THEY ACTUALLY PUT A HITCH IN MY TRUCK THE SAME DAY AND I WAS PLEASED WITH THAT, BUT SO FAR AS ANY FOLLOW UP SERVICE I CAN'T REALLY SAY.
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-27 8:26 PM (#36099 - in reply to #35987)

Veteran

'll let you know next weekend. Picking up my custom sportabout. So far everything has been great and the pictures of it look awesome!
upslady
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-27 9:43 PM (#36101 - in reply to #36099)

Did anyone upgrade the plywood kick panels to the rubber walls? I was wondering how the plywood holds up to moisture. Any feedback would be appreciated. I really like the features that they offer. Just want to hear from more Double D owners.

tbone
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 8:28 AM (#36202 - in reply to #35987)

I HAVE THE PLYWOOD AND THEY APPEAR TO TO DOING OKAY. THEY PUT SOME TYPE OF SEALER ON THEM BEFORE THEY INSTALL THEM TO HELP WITH THAT. I USE MY TRAILER AT LEAST THREE OR FOUR TIMES PER MONTH AND USE A POWER WASHER TO CLEAN AFTER EACH USE AND NO PROBLEMS YET.
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-30 1:46 PM (#36226 - in reply to #35987)

Veteran

I'm pretty close to Pink Hill and I see lots of them at open shows around here.  I considered them but chose another brand based on the LQ. I know several people who have and love them. Brad's a pretty good guy to work with...they've done some service work for me.

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-05 7:29 PM (#36594 - in reply to #35987)

Veteran

Just brought the Double D home this weekend. Brad was a pleasure to deal with and took the time to walk me through everything. The trailer is just what we wanted. We started with one of their Sportabout models and some concept drawings and created a great trailer. Brad was patient through the whole process and we went through several weeks of back and forth before setteling on a final plan. On the way home it towed great, the brakes are strong and the trailer stays glued behind you. The value for the money is great and Double D beat the closest other manufacturer on a similar plan by $5K. Only a few nitpicky things. I felt some of the wire weld spatter could have been cleaned up a little more and the awning screws penetrate a little far into the horse area for my taste. No big deal, I'll whack them off with my grinder and re- silicone the ends. Other than that it's built great ( I go over everything, if I can find a problem I'd snivel). Brad worked in a complete living quarters and I understand it was a bit of a challenge but the end result was great.  We got a cover as well and it fits great. If your in central Maryland and want to see it drop me a line. I highly recommend them.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-10-16 5:14 PM (#138322 - in reply to #35987)

Elite Veteran

I am glad to have stumbled upon this thread.. I have been looking at their site for quite awhile.. Even contacted them once to get a few questions answered, as well as having corresponded with other owners. I haven't bought yet due to $$$, plus I keep hoping that the perfect ALUMINUM trailer with all of my desired features will happen along at an affordable price....still hoping... I like everything I've seen so far about their new Buffalo.. Just leery about non-aluminum construction. Plus there is a thing or two extra that I would want in my LQ and the Buffalo's are not customizable (and with a 6' LQ, no room to aftermarket retro-fit).. To build one to custom would add many more clams to the overall price......sigh.... maybe sometime in the not-too-distant future I can plan a trip east and see them firsthand..
wsfarm
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2011-10-18 10:02 AM (#138351 - in reply to #35987)
Subject: RE: Double D Trailers-Zinc Frame, Galvalite materials, yearly price increases?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons to the Z-Frame technology and Double D's use of the Galvalite siding?  I've had "only buy aluminum" pounded into my head, but has technology improved so that the Zinc covered steel frames and Galvalite siding might be a better alternative?  The stronger frame and thicker walls without adding a lot of weight seems logical to me.  Steel is steel though and if the surface layers of zinc and paint are scratched through, won't it rust?

I've had my all aluminum Exiss for 11 years now and could easily continue to use it for another 10 years and it pretty much looks brand new minus a few dings and minimal rust on the jack and hinges.  So would a Zinc/Galvalite trailer hold up as well?

I really like how their website is laid out so you can get some ideas on pricing, etc. without having to go through a sales person first.  And they have a lot of good information on why they make the trailer the way they do.

Last question, does anyone have idea how much trailer prices go up every year.  At QH Congress I spoke with two manufacturers and this year one went up 11.5% and the other 5.5%.  If 5% is a standard yearly increase, then waiting 4 years to buy a trailer can really be costly.

Thanks

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-10-24 1:11 AM (#138446 - in reply to #35987)

Elite Veteran

I talked to one of the guys at Double D (Brad, maybe?) awhile back and asked the very same question about rusting if scratched or dented.. His reply was that the zinc is all the way through and, as such, will not rust.. I, too, have had all aluminum pounded into my head. My first trailer was steel frame/alum skin and it always made me nervous because even though the outside looked pretty good, I couldn't see the condition of the frame underneath the skin... We had to do a little bit of sanding and repainting to the underneath structures before we sold it. I like everything about Double D's Bison, except that I'd like a very small dinette added. There is very little customization available on the Bisons.. However, they've been very thorough with their design (IMO) and already have most of the features that I wanted. I just keep wrestling with the notion that aluminum is the way to go. Plus, I like the look that the aluminum siding gives to the outside of a trailer.......hmmm maybe do-able as an aftermarket add-on?
darkesong77
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-10-25 7:22 AM (#138502 - in reply to #138446)

I've had a double d for almost 10 years and it has held up extremely well. I've got a couple of spots where paint has been scraped off and it has just a tiny tiny bit of surface rust in the area. It is very smooth pulling and I have yet to meet a horse that won't load and unload easily with it. The model I have isn't on the website anymore, 3h deluxe I think it was called. Its a 3h slant with a dressing room that I put a weekend package in myself. If you are planning on doing any sort of modifying to your dressing room I recommend a steel over an aluminum. I have friends with aluminum and mine was easier to upgrade and has held up much better due to steel being a stronger metal. It has always been stored uncovered, outside, first in NC and now in MI (past 6 years).
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-10-26 3:51 PM (#138531 - in reply to #35987)

Elite Veteran

Good to know!!!! Thanks! I'm still not ready to buy (no $$$$$) but love hearing what other people have to say about them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)