'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Installing two way fridge

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-10-19 2:58 PM
5 replies, 4489 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2011-10-13 4:52 PM (#138299)
Subject: Installing two way fridge

Extreme Veteran

I am ready to install the two way (electric/propane) fridge in my weekender project. I'm thinking this is something I might want to get someone else to do. It a 4 cu ft. I'm attaching a picture of where it is going to go, and you can see there is a bean right in the middle of where the vent(s) will be. Any suggestion on how to handle this? The gas line is ran. My husband & I installed the water heater, and it works great, but I'm a little more concerned about this task.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2011-10-13 4:57 PM (#138300 - in reply to #138299)
Subject: RE: Installing two way fridge

Extreme Veteran

Well, my pictures are too big.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-10-17 9:47 AM (#138330 - in reply to #138299)

Extreme Veteran

I don't have any suggestions, but would like to see the photos of your work on the cabinets. From what you can see, I bet it is really nice!
HorseyHeidi
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-10-17 8:38 PM (#138346 - in reply to #138330)

I ran into that issue. We had it priced for a conversion company. They will have to cut that brace & rebrace it. Then if the vents fit, cut that hole too.  It was a couple grand :(

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-10-18 9:33 AM (#138350 - in reply to #138299)

Expert

A couple of years ago, I and a friend installed a LQ into his trailer. By purchasing vent covers from the manufacturers of the equipment we were installing, we were able to know exactly, the size and shape of the holes we would have to cut into the walls.

We too, had to remove part of a stud on the interior wall, that interefered with the vent's placement. After the cut was made, "H" shaped extrusions were welded into place above and below the new hole, running laterally to the next exisiting studs. This would be very similar to a house framing around a window area.

Special care had to be taken not to overheat the outer sheet metal, while the extrusions were welded. Excessive heat can distort the thin metal of the skin and discolour the present paint. We slid in a sheet of stainless between the welding surfaces and the skin, and applied water with wet sponges to keep things cool.

After the welding was completed, we then drilled and shot, solid countersunk AD rivets to secure the skin to the new interior framing. This eliminated any movement, noise and vibration from occuring and strengthened the wall.

Both the owner and I have some sheet metal experience, and didn't have much of a problem with the modifications. If you don't, most fabricators can effect similar changes to your trailer. The cost of materials is negligible, but you can expect to spend a couple of hours of labour to finish the project.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2011-10-19 2:58 PM (#138374 - in reply to #138299)

Extreme Veteran

I would have to take it for the aluminum welding regardless. Or bolt on thenew frame work. Undecided on how to approach that. A friend had a fridge installedby a local guy, and he did a real nice job, but she has a steel trailer. I needto ask him if he can handle aluminum.I got my cabinets from Cabinet-To-Go. We modified a pantry for hanging space andto make it fit over the water heater. So far the wall cabinets have gone up with outissue. In the nose, I added cubbyholes on the sides to provide more strength and useup open space. We hung another cabinet the other day, so I'll take some more pictures.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)