'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fort Stanton NM

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-09-24 6:44 PM
2 replies, 4931 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Prairieland
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-09-22 10:17 PM (#137799)
Subject: Fort Stanton NM

Has anyone ever camped in Fort Stanton  BLM land in New Mexico? How are the trails? Thinking about going next summer. Any information would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Amarillorider
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2011-09-23 1:55 AM (#137803 - in reply to #137799)
Subject: RE: Fort Stanton NM

My wife is a member of the Local Arab / Endurance rider's club here in Amarillo, and several of the members went to the recent Endurance race held in Ft Stanton (I believe it was the 7 day Nationals event). If you would like you are more than welcome to call and speak with her, or she can refer you to other members whom competed, and also the Facilitator who could expand in great detail about the area. My wife's email addy is passionlady4736@yahoo.com and she will reply with her phone number, etc..

I am not sure if you are wanting to ride that specific area, however we recently went to the Gillespie ranch, which is about 45 minutes further south, and a little higher in elevation. We had never been there befor, but I am originally from Alamogordo, which is about 40 Miles west of there, and when we found the ranch online, we figured we would try it, and it would give me aq chance to show her all the canyons and moutain areas I grew up in.

We can not say enough wonderfull things about the Kent and his wife, and their ranch. It is an absolutly beautiful area to ride, they have 12 covered stalls, a round pen, an arrena, full RV hook ups (110, 30V and 50V) water and sewage, a pavillion in the main barn with maps of their trails, and the surounding trails in the Lincoln National Forest, that you can connect to thru their ranch trails HUGE moutain pine trees, and chest deep green grass. Every morning Kent would come up and ask us what difficulty of area we would like to try for the day, and then suggest areas to go to. The ranch itself is aprox 300 acres, but backs up to the Licoln National forest, and their is more than 200 miles of trails available to ride. You can take trails that mildly wander up thru the bottom of the heavily shaded canyons, or you can go all the way to a 36 mile loop that has some very challenging rocky assents. You also get a map that shows you most trails, OR... you are welcome to follow cow trails, or bust the brush and make your own trails. Water tanks are everywhere btw. Costs were less than most any other area we have stayed, and the hositalities and trails far exceed any others than we have utilized. Here is one write up that was done on their facility:

http://www.equisearch.com/uncategorized/trail-riding-gillespie-ranch-new-mexico/

The web site for their ranch is: http://www.gillespieranchulazy2.com/index.html and here is a link to my wife's FB page phot album with pictures from there: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000400377947#!/media/set/?set=a.10150790328070454.728514.642395453 I see that you are in Kansas, and don't know if you are aware of Plumb Creek Equestrian area which would be MUCH closer to you, (About 45 Miles NE of Amarillo: Large open meadow with Panneled corals, but no hook ups, and is FREE to camp here)) or Pole Canyon Ranch http://polecanyon.com/ but both are great places to ride with trails that would take you more than a weekend to cover. BTW, there are also several pictures on Belinda's FB photo albums of Pole Creek area as well (they have full RV hook ups and Panel corrals). Matter of Fact, the local Endurance club here in Amarillo is Hosting a Ride N Tie (sp?) in the next couple of weeks at Plumb Creek if you want to come check the area out. I know this is a novel, but hopefully I have given you some insight to other areas that you might find interesting. The wife and I are heading to Plumb Creek this weekend to enjoy the cool air, and put several more miles on her new Ten Walker, come join us if you would like! Hope you have a wonderful week.

Gene 806-681-2835 (feel free to call with any questions)

Edited by Amarillorider 2011-09-23 1:59 AM
Prairieland
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-09-24 6:44 PM (#137843 - in reply to #137803)
Subject: RE: Fort Stanton NM

Thanks for the information. I appreciate all of your advice and especially appreciated the links.  From the information you have given me I believe I will try get to New Mexico this next year and  Gillespie  Ranch looks perfect.  We usually go to South Dakota each June but want to try something new.

Odd that you mentioned Plumb Creek - Yes we have camped there and  had a good time. We have also camped at Palo Duro which has the steep road going in and out of the canyon. We have 2 sons that live in the Amarillo area so try to take horses and trail ride when we go to visit. 

Again thank you for taking the time to answer my post it was greatly appreciated.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)