'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking at 03 Sundowner

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-28 8:30 PM
9 replies, 4354 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

skip99
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-25 1:25 PM (#135126)
Subject: Looking at 03 Sundowner

New User

I was looking for some input on the Sundowner Valuelite, specifically a 2003 2H slant load with dressing room.It seems as though this subject has been beaten to death, but I was just looking for some more advice than google and searches can provide.The trailer has recently been inspected (and passed) and I believe is still under the 8 year warranty. Would any corrosion problems have prevented it from passing the inspection? If I go and look at it and take a look underneath will any corrosion be obvious? I'm obviously new to trailers :)Thanks in advance
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-06-25 1:41 PM (#135127 - in reply to #135126)
Subject: RE: Looking at 03 Sundowner

Extreme Veteran

A lot will depend on what part of the country this trailer is in, and how much the trailer was run in the winter months; if from the northeast or midwest. Most corrosion will be on the frame underneath and possibly the lower wall posts on the butt wall. Those you can't see. In 03 Sundowner started undercoating their frames. If most of the black material is still in place, and it doesn't come off in big flakes, your probably going to be in good shape. As far as warranty goes, if the trailer was originally sold in 03, your warranty has expired on it.
skip99
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-26 4:02 PM (#135145 - in reply to #135127)

New User

Thanks so much! I'll definitely be taking a look underneath it then. The owner says its covered through the end of this year, so I'm assuming she bought it at the end of 2003 or beginning of 2004, but I'll double check on that.
bigdreams
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2011-06-28 10:58 AM (#135230 - in reply to #135126)

I bought a 2003 Valuelite 4 horse w/6ft. short wall about a year ago. I live up in Wisconsin and found out about the undercarriage issues. I took mine to a steel shop and had them inspect it and no problems were found. What I did was have them sand blast it and paint the frame with a zinc based primer and paint. The trailer is great and I look forward to many years of service.

I agree if you are located in the southern part of the country the issues will probably not be a problem.
bhpoz
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-28 7:36 PM (#135241 - in reply to #135126)

Look & Listen!!!! I bought a NEW Valuelite in 05. I have pulled it very, very little. I use a gooseneck LQ most of the time. I live in North Florida. My warranty runs out in one year. Sundowner told me to take it to a dealer to have it inspected to see if anything needed attention. I did, and they said A-OK. I asked for documentation pictures be sent to my e-mail. This dealer was 5 hours from my home. The pics they e-mailed were NOT of my trailer. I did take pics of my trailer and I will share them with anyone who wants to see them. They are BAD. Frame is flaking like pie crust with Rust and separating and peeling. If the frame was solid steel it would be solid rusty steel. These frames are thin steel folded like the childhood fans we used to make. Due to this fan-folding the moisture can get between the layers and sit and rust between the small folds, and IT IS!! Sundowner did this to cut back on cost at OUR expense. The coating that they covered the fabricated steel with cracks and also holds moisture. It is a design FLAW that will end up failing in strength and to be sure, a loaded trailer, with horses WILL fall through to the highway. I have contacted the National Trafic Safety Board and am filling out a formal complaint about this aftey issue. Join with me and maybe together we can make Sundowner do more than lip-service to our problems. Your Alluminum trailer is not Aluminum, it is worse, it is flimsey, weak 'pretend' steel beam frame. If you would like to see 127 pictures of my under-frame send me your e-mail address. ONE picture is worth one thousand words.

Bhpoz

bhpoz
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-28 8:21 PM (#135242 - in reply to #135126)

I have a Valulite that I have 127 pictures of the frame I will share with anyone. It is Bad!!!

Bhpoz

bhpoz
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-28 8:24 PM (#135243 - in reply to #135126)

Bad problem
bhpoz
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-28 8:25 PM (#135244 - in reply to #135145)

It is falling apart!!!
bhpoz
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-28 8:27 PM (#135246 - in reply to #135127)

I am not in snow or salt roads---mine is flaking apart. I have pictures of the frame and it is bad. I will send them to anyone that wants to see them.

BP

bhpoz
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-28 8:30 PM (#135247 - in reply to #135230)

Oh yes it will be a problem---rust rust and more rust!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)