'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
pegasus vs 4-star vs others

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-06 10:15 PM
6 replies, 6594 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hiddenlakestable
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-06 7:37 AM (#134594)
Subject: pegasus vs 4-star vs others

Hello all! I have a few questions, and this is my first post on here.My trailer experience has been limited to Merhow and Platinum Coach; both were positive experiences, no real complaints other than the PC is a 4H slant and had some troubles hauling foals.So I'm looking for a trailer to 1. Go to shows (no off road or trail riding type locations); 2. Last a long time/be an investment that will still haul in about 15-20 years; 3. Be safe as possible for the horses; 5. Be able to haul quite a bit of tack/trunks/buggies for shows and 6. Must convert to box stalls with a solid divider that a foal or weanling can't go under. I'm looking at a 4-5 horse Pegasus that is a 99 (so 12 years old). It seems to be perfect in "theory" (I can haul 3 horses to a show and still have a TON of room for equipment, interior is large, I won't go shorter than a 7'6", and the manufacturer is near by). BUT it is a 12 year old trailer, it has sat outside for a winter (and apparently every winter before that per pegasus), has some issues, major rust (imo) on the frame, corrosion on the aluminum at the base of the door frame that reveals plywood behind it (plywood walls??). Some of the rivets are loose that the divider beams lock into, and a window is broken along with a ramp that wont slide and a handle that is missing on ramp, AND I haven't crawled under it or looked under a mat yet. Of course Pegasus says they can fix these things, (re-rivet plates, replace windows, rhino line rust but we weren't real clear on what all would be rhino-lined) but I wonder if they are an indication of things to come with this trailer or if they are minor cosmetics and the trailer is still sound? I can't afford a brand new Pegasus at 62k, so it is this one or another brand)I've looked at 4 stars, they have a great reputation, quality trailer, but I've not found a 5 horse, only 4, which means if I want to haul equipment in the stall area I can only take 2 head, I'd rather be able to take 3 as I'm ure there will be times when I will actually take 4-5 and will have an additional truck going with equipment.Any thoughts guys???
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-06-06 8:12 AM (#134595 - in reply to #134594)
Subject: RE: pegasus vs 4-star vs others

Been in your shoes. Thought about a head to head but didn't want the length to get everything I needed. I had 4 Star custom build me a 4H with DR. It's  only 21' on the floor and is 7 1/2 tall & wide. We had the solid mare & foal divider made to move from #1 position to #2 for two box stalls. Front escape door has a ramp as does the back. Rear tack is easily removed for equipment or youngsters. I can haul 3 big horses, scooter, & tack trunks, in the front stall. Tack in the back and not have to put any horse stuff in the dressing room. Hayrack for plenty of hay & water for the horses. Fully insulated through out from the factory. Werm floor so you never have to pull mats to clean it.  There is also a swing out saddle rack that goes in DR when the back tack is out to haul foals. DR is professionally finished into weekender with walk thru door into back. Drops on front & back for good air circulation in the summer heat. Can also haul one horse up in the first stall, shut solid divider and haul Artic Cat in the back. Just really versatile! Central States in OK built mine for me.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-06-06 8:22 AM (#134597 - in reply to #134594)

Expert

Originally written by hiddenlakestable on 2011-06-06 8:37 AM

it is a 12 year old trailer, it has sat outside for a winter (and apparently every winter before that per pegasus), has some issues, major rust (imo) on the frame, corrosion on the aluminum at the base of the door frame that reveals plywood behind it (plywood walls??). Some of the rivets are loose that the divider beams lock into, and a window is broken along with a ramp that wont slide and a handle that is missing on ramp, AND I haven't crawled under it or looked under a mat yet. I wonder if they are an indication of things to come with this trailer or if they are minor cosmetics and the trailer is still sound?

I would NOT purchase that particular trailer. Presently there are 149 6H GN trailers for sale in the for sale section. Most are well under a $60K price tag and many will be in far better shape than the PC you described.

Cosmetically rebuilding a trailer is far different, than making it again structurally sound. The advantage of purchasing used, is that you can exactly determine how well a trailer ages and how well it has been kept. You can find all aluminum trailers of many brands, that are comparable to new, with a decade or more of usage. Look around, they are available and at some decent prices. Stay away from this one.

hiddenlakestable
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-06 9:41 AM (#134600 - in reply to #134594)

Gard:Sorry I wasn't clear. The 99 is priced at 16,5 the new 2012s are 62k... I wouldn't pay 62 for a 12 year old 4 horse.I'm not looking for LC at all, and now willing to bend ton the straight vs slant. I will continue to look and see what else is around in the same price range, as I prefer to buy outright, so what I have to spend is what I have to spend, lol.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-06-06 12:43 PM (#134609 - in reply to #134594)

Expert

That Pegasus trailer will be HEAVY!!! I got a 2006 4 Star six horse head to head with a 4' DR and it weighs about 7000# and has a GVWR of 18000# and change. Air conditioning, hydraulic jack, dual batteries, finished DR that we stay in at the shows. Most of the time we haul 3 horses up front, maybe 1 in the center along with the hay and feed. Rear compartment has all the gear for setting up tack stall, show cart, two mobility scooters, buckets, tubs, etc. etc.... All the show clothing is in the DR. Got 2 heavy duty custom made cloths bars, 2 rows of bridle racks, six removable saddle racks along with all our sleeping, bathing, living away from home for a week stuff.... Trailer is 8' wide 7'6" high and 32' on the floor

My trailer is sister to this one....

<script> window.setTimeout("watermark()",50);

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-06-06 1:59 PM (#134611 - in reply to #134594)

I can't tell for sure, but , that Pegasus, looks like a FRP trailer to me! If so, good luck with that!
hiddenlakestable
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-06 10:15 PM (#134631 - in reply to #134594)

What is an FRP trailer?

I looked at a kiefer built 6h that was 8 wide 7'6 high, but the base weight is 8,760lbs; GVWR (sorry if I'm butchering the initials) is 14,400 or something close? anyway, if you figure 6 one thousand-pound horses in there it puts you over.

Yes the Pegasus is heavy, it is 12,000lbs. BUT will Pegasus be the Bristols of the future? The "ultra well made, will still be around in 20 years looking like new" or will they lose value and fall apart?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)