'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
My trailer is eating my tires....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-05 3:26 PM
3 replies, 2763 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

neatolgart
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-05 11:20 AM (#134562)
Subject: My trailer is eating my tires....

New User

What is going on here? I went for a long road trip yesterday, my trailer tires on the left side had nearly new tread on them but by the time I got home the tread was almost gone. The trailer is an old steel gooseneck stock trailer of unknown make. I figure it is some sort of imbalance but I'm not sure what to do about it. Help?

Amy in TX
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dallyup
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-06-05 11:58 AM (#134563 - in reply to #134562)
Subject: RE: My trailer is eating my tires....

We had the same issue years ago on a steel trailer we had, going down the road to High School rodoes and changing a tire every 100 miles or so, wasn't any fun or cost effective.

We found that our axels were out of alignment with eachother, a few adjustments and never had another flat on that trailer again.

Best bet is to haul it in to your local tire/mechanic shop and have them align everything.

Good luck and Happy Trails..

Edited by dallyup 2011-06-05 12:00 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-06-05 1:47 PM (#134564 - in reply to #134562)

Expert

I hit something on the road and bent my axles last year. And went thru the same thing. Ruin a tire ever 100 miles.

I was already to replace the axles when I decided to try and have them staighten. Took it into a tire center that focuses on big trucks  ( stuff bigger than pickups)   They had a large alignment rack that I pulled the trailer in on they aligned all 4 trailer tires. They did it by bending the axles till the tires/wheels came into alignment.  It cost me $80 per axle or $160 for the trailer. And I have had no problems since.

I suspect this is process that just postpones buying new axles. As you start bending and re-bending the axles at some point you will loose the tensile strength and every chuck hole in the road will knock them out of aignment. But for right now, it saved me the cost of replacing both axles and replacing tires every 100 miles.

neatolgart
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-05 3:26 PM (#134570 - in reply to #134562)

New User

Thank you both! I will plan on doing that ASAP.

Amy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)