'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to price and sell a LQ trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-15 11:31 AM
6 replies, 4457 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kcrazzmatazz
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-06-14 10:37 AM (#134847)
Subject: How to price and sell a LQ trailer?

Like many people, life changes have forced me to downsize both my heard and my "stuff, so I will be selling my 2010 Blue ribbon trailer. It is a lovely trailer with a nice roomy LQ but I know that brand is not that well known.

This trailer was financed and I am planning on taking a hit and losing some money on it, as there isn't much equity in it yet. I just don't know how much.

Other than looking at similar styled trailers on the market, any ideas on how to price it effectively and market it well? It will be going to endurance rides with me until it sells and that will help get it out there and let people see it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-06-14 11:25 AM (#134848 - in reply to #134847)
Subject: RE: How to price and sell a LQ trailer?

Veteran

With no description, it's hard to give any values. If you've looked at comparable trailers and they are not selling, you need to expect less. Try this: discount 10% of what you paid new for each year old it is, 2012's are now out, and then discount another 10% for slow market and you should be close.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-06-14 11:32 AM (#134849 - in reply to #134847)

Veteran

kcrazzmatazz, I have found that the best way to comp a trailer, whether you are the buyer or the seller, is to use HTW. Trailers will fall in a low, mid ( Featherlite and Exiss) and high range (Elite, 4 Star) depending on manufacturer. If you can't find a comp in your exact brand, you can use a comp from a comparable manufacturer. Using comparable manufacturers and comparable features you should be able to get a pretty good idea of an asking price and a high/low range for final sales price. Prices will vary by region, with higher prices west of the Rockies. Do an initial search and make print outs of your comps. Then keep reviewing to both add new comps and to review your initial comps to see if they have reduced in price or if they have sold. Prepare your trailer for sale by doing a thorough cleaning inside and out, removing the matts and cleaning the floor. Take digital pictures of everything, including the undercarriage and the bare floor in the horse area. Make sure that you get pictures of every feature or option, including closet and cabinet interiors. Take pictures of the manufacturer's tag,the RVIA sticker, and the roof, wheels and tires. Cover pretty much every square inch of the trailer. Think 150 pictures. Pick your pictures for your HTW ad. HTW ads are cheap and effective. Post the entire folder of pictures in a public view place (like Picasso). Put the link to this folder in your ad. I have purchased two trailers from HTW adds and have sold one trailer. Both of my purchases were agreement sight unseen, drive 350-500 miles,inspection and purchase, one from a dealer and one from a private party. The buyer of my trailer was purchase sight unseen. The distance from purchaser to seller was close to 1000 miles. I am in southern Oregon and I got calls from Montana, Colorado, Utah, California, and Alberta, Canada. The many detailed pictures make long distance purchases both relatively easy and possible. In addition to the above, if your trailer is lacking a particular feature that might be desirable, like a hay rack or a stud divider, price the total cost (parts and installation labor) of adding this feature to your trailer. This way you will both be able to provide your potential buyer with the information and know the bargaining cost of the feature. Best of luck, HTW sale ads work!
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-06-14 12:59 PM (#134851 - in reply to #134849)

Veteran

Horse camper has excellent advice. I did exactly that when selling my Hawk except for the 150 pictures. The pics I had were a good representation of the trailer. I found comps on HTW and printed those out to have to show to prospective buyers both for comparable features and price.

I asked a couple people to look at the trailer and give me feedback. The best advice was the guy who stuck his head in the horse compartment and was extremely surprised. He said it looked and smelled like there had never been a horse inside. He recommended that I not "give it away."

I used the comps on HTW to price it and got most of what I asked for. I also dealt with having an unfamiliar brand in this area but didn't see that it hurt any. I was knowledgeable about my trailer and also referred buyers to the Hawk website. Plus I truly believe it was a high quality trailer. It sold to the third part to look at it. The first party wanted it but we couldn't agree on a price.

Good luck. Times are tough for all of us so hang in there.
kcrazzmatazz
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-06-14 1:41 PM (#134853 - in reply to #134847)

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I plan on having tons of pics. It is somewhat unique in that it has a very large slide out that includes the bathroom vanity which provides a ton of floor space. It is also extra wide (8') and tall (7'6") which I also think is a good selling feature (needed this size at the time for a 17.1 TB, but now I just have two little 14.3 handers). All aluminum as well.

Based on the comps I've seen, I'm planning on pricing it at about 2-3 grand less than I owe (ouch) (this would go along with the pricing guidelines given above) - I would rather sell it quickly and take a bit of a loss than have it sitting out there for months and months unsold.

Trying not to go into to much detail as I'm not trying to advertise it here, just get general tips.
canadianguy
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-06-15 6:54 AM (#134868 - in reply to #134847)

"Horsecamper" you gave GREAT advise I wish everyone selling a trailer would read it.

I live in Canada and I was shopping through BHW ads to buy a trailer in the USA. I had to depend on the information and pictures to make an informed decision. The people that did not have good ads missed out on a sale, and in this market you need all the help you can get.

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-06-15 11:31 AM (#134873 - in reply to #134847)

Veteran

canadianguy, Thanks for the comment. One of your "neighbors", a gal from Edmonton, purchased my trailer. Especially with the current exchange rates, US sellers in the northern states should not forget that Cananda is part of their potential buyer's market.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)