'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping with dogs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-19 4:34 PM
8 replies, 5157 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sheryl
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2011-05-10 11:02 AM (#134021)
Subject: Camping with dogs

Veteran

I got a Yorkie.  My daughter says Yorkies are what middle aged women get while they are waiting on the grandbabies to come.  I think she's right! ;-)

I am looking for tips on how to care for a dog left back at camp INSIDE the trailer. The one time I have been with my pup the weather was mild and I left open windows and the 12 volt fan moving air. 

I am worried that if it is hot and I leave the a/c running, it could freeze up and it would get too hot inside with all the windows closed.  Leaving the puppy outside is not an option.  Critters eat Yorkies. Any tips will be appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-05-10 12:34 PM (#134023 - in reply to #134021)
Subject: RE: Camping with dogs

Elite Veteran

LOL! I have three Jack Russells that are also my "grandbaby surrogates"! I have also wondered how to possibly take at least one with me.. I'v thought of a dog crate (the wire kind..) There are some that come completely apart one and, while sturdy, it is a PITA to set up and take down. There is another kind that looks the same but "unfolds" to set up. Much easier to deal with. I had thought to set it up under the trailer.. An awning would help to keep it cool.. However, this may or may not protect him from coyotes or a determined Yorkie-eater. Otherwise, I would guess crating the puppy in your LQ and keep a fan blowing on him
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-05-10 1:38 PM (#134024 - in reply to #134021)

We leave our dogs in the trailer with either windows open and fan running or with the a/c on.  Have not had a problem with a/c freezing up (and surely hope we don't). 
longearsruletwo
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2011-05-16 10:14 AM (#134153 - in reply to #134021)

Regular

We have 2 doxies, a lab and a big red dog we camp with.  The trailer has a walk thru door and I leave that open in case one needs to potty back there, which is rare.  I tie the big red dog outside and he stays up in the bed of the truck most of the time.  I leave the windows open in the living quarters and in the back so they get a pretty good cross breeze, plus I leave fans blowing.  I have some battery powered ones for when we don't have power.  The little ones can get up on the bed so they have the two windows open to get some fresh air.  I haven't had any problems, just make sure you have plenty of water out for them when it is hot and no a/c.  I have left that on for them too when it was really hot and haven't had any problems.

illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-05-16 8:30 PM (#134168 - in reply to #134021)

Veteran

I have a border terrier when we are out on the trails I leave her in her wire carrier usually under the nose of the trailer(shade) with a box fan running. That always seems to work out well and we have camped in pretty hot conditions.She is use to her carrier and likes being in there with treats and toys!!!
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2011-05-17 11:26 AM (#134182 - in reply to #134168)

Veteran

Our previous older dog always camped with us and was left in the trailer with the air conditioner on.   He was used to being inside at home and was a non destructive dog

Our newest addition is a puppy and will be crated when we are gone - with the air conditioner.

If it wasn't hot I would be tempted to put him in the crate under the awning with a fan-- but I don't know yet if he would bark alot and bother people in the campground!

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-05-18 10:05 PM (#134211 - in reply to #134021)

Regular

We have a stock trailer and in the past we'd just leave the dogs in the back of the stock trailer. Shade, good breeze, can leave a water bowl out. We rarely ride more than 3-4 hours so it was never a problem.
danigirl
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-05-19 9:22 AM (#134220 - in reply to #134021)

We camp with our Pomeranian. We leave him in the trailer with the door to the horse part open - just in case he has to potty (which he usually doesn't) Lots of water and kibble food. It is cool in the Rockies - even in the summer so the trailer is in the shade. No problems for 3 years.
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-05-19 4:34 PM (#134233 - in reply to #134220)

Veteran

We have only taken our dog on weekend trips and it was never overly hot, but I take her crate with and leave the windows open and outside door open. When we went to SD last summer I left her at a boarding kennel, she was still a pup then and didn't think it would be fair to have her locked up in the trailer when we went riding. We never knew how long we would be out riding. Going to SD again this year and I will board her again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)