'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Living quarters entry - curb side or driver's side?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-05 9:07 AM
9 replies, 5797 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

d2allen
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-05-04 12:09 PM (#133812)
Subject: Living quarters entry - curb side or driver's side?

I have looked in the archives, but not found this issue discussed. Maybe I missed it?My new 9' short wall (rear tack) Elite Trailer should be ready in July. The plans presently call for the l.q. entry on the curb side. I am wondering if this is the best configuration? My daily trailer, a 2 horse bumper pull has the tack room door on the driver's side, which I like very much. The thought of calling the dealer and asking them to change the entry has occurred to me, but I hate to do that if there is a good reason for leaving things as is. ~~ Deidre
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-05-04 12:56 PM (#133813 - in reply to #133812)
Subject: RE: Living quarters entry - curb side or driver's side?

Expert

Oh yes -this has been discussed. IMO - its simply a matter of personal preference. Mine is on the Drivers side ( just the way it came)To put it bluntly,I could really careless which side its on. There are far more important features and comforts to deal with.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-05-04 1:18 PM (#133814 - in reply to #133812)

Expert

Originally written by d2allen on 2011-05-04 1:09 PM

I have looked in the archives, but not found this issue discussed. Maybe I missed it?My new 9' short wall (rear tack) Elite Trailer should be ready in July. The plans presently call for the l.q. entry on the curb side. I am wondering if this is the best configuration? My daily trailer, a 2 horse bumper pull has the tack room door on the driver's side, which I like very much. The thought of calling the dealer and asking them to change the entry has occurred to me, but I hate to do that if there is a good reason for leaving things as is. ~~ Deidre

Probably be best to leave well enough alone. That LQ is probably laid out around that door location... I'm sure it can be changed for a nominal fee!!! $$$$$$$

Seems to me most LQ trailer have the doors on the curb side so they align/match up with the utilities at camp grounds. I have a head to head 4 Star with DR door on the curb, a Silver Star with DR/MT doors on the drivers and a Gore BP with the DR door on the curb... Mfg.'s preference I guess.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-05-04 1:32 PM (#133815 - in reply to #133812)

Elite Veteran

I've had both and I can see plusses and minuses both ways.

Curb side:
+Door is away from traffic if you have to pull off on the side of the road
-You have to go around truck or trailer to enter LQ on the side of the road
+Allows for longer stretch of amenities on longer wall, usually a couch or dinette in a 8-9' LQ

Street side:
+Easy access for the driver
-You will be backwards in any campground laid out for travel trailers
-In your situation where you are ordering your trailer, you will almost assuredly have to pick a different LQ floorplan if you switch door sides.

IMHO, once I'm at a show, I don't really care which side the door is on.
Tintilly
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2011-05-04 4:27 PM (#133822 - in reply to #133812)

Yes it is a personal preference BUT the reason it is usually on the street side is not to break up the long wall. It is easier for the living quarter design and better use of the space allowed.    Nancy
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-05-04 8:25 PM (#133830 - in reply to #133812)

Regular

My first trailer was on the driver's side and my current trailer is on the curbside.  We got a good buy on our trailer so when your buying used you have to decide what is most important to you but if I had the luxury of ordering new, I definitely liked it on the driver's side.  We camp and we use the 3rd stall to haul hay and as a mud room entrance and I liked that both doors were on the same side & under the awning.  Also when I'm travelling alone and needed a pit stop it was quick to just run back to the LQ.   A friend of mine had ordered a new Lakota  & was able to have hers switched to the driver's side.  I wouldn't hesitate to check with the dealer, they are there to be of service to you.   If they haven't started your trailer, you can probably still change it.  Like the others said, it's your preference.  I have pictures of my friend's trailer, it was a really nice floor plan & I believe it was a 9' LQ & had the large fridge, lots of storage, etc. If you want, PM me & I can fax them to you.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2011-05-04 11:55 PM (#133841 - in reply to #133812)

Elite Veteran

I've had both. No real preference. It all depends on what you want for a floor plan. Our current Elite with 12' Cowboy Classic is set up just the way we like it with door on curb side. We have used it in town parked on the street as a guest bedroom and the curb side is nice.
clayton1
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2011-05-05 1:25 AM (#133842 - in reply to #133812)

New User

I would definately go curbside simply for the fact that if there was trouble and you needed to stop on the side of the road, it would seem safer!
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-05-05 6:14 AM (#133844 - in reply to #133812)

Extreme Veteran

Our door is on the drivers side and I can't say that I would have a preference for which side it's on.  If you do day shows or rodeos and your horses will be tied to your trailer I would think about how that will work out.  My LQ door, mid tack door, and escape door are all on the same side of my 3 horse.....we haul 2 horse so it works out to tie them to the same side as the doors but we couldn't fit 3 horses.  I say this becuase I prefer that the horses are on the same side that we are sitting so we can keep an eye on them.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2011-05-05 9:07 AM (#133849 - in reply to #133812)

I've had both, and from an RV park standpoint, I like it curb side. When I had one with a drivers side door, it never seemed to fail, the sewer hose was always in the way.

Edited by Tresvolte 2011-05-05 9:08 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)